Travel to European Islands

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I was in Cyprus last year. It is a gorgeous island. I don't know what sort of things you want to do, but it is a sizable island so getting around the island can be time consuming if you want to see multiple cities. I was there for a wedding, so unfortunately there was little time for sightseeing (we moved on to Greece right after the wedding), but I can't imagine more than a few days is needed there (unless you take up significant time sunbathing or hiking).
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Movielover wrote:Did Mamma Mia specify which Greek Island the wedding took place on? If so, which one.
Agios Ioannis Chapel, Skopelos
Movielover
Graduate

Post by Movielover »

Thank you Cinemanolis. Did Mamma Mia specify which Greek Island the wedding took place on? If so, which one.
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

[quote="Movielover"][/quote]
Also, Lesbos, Patmos, Kos?

I've been to all 3 islands.

Kos is a beautiful island, but has a lot of tourists, most of them teenagers from Scandinavia, and i personally wouldn't go there again.

Patmos is a very nice island, that is not a huge tourist attraction, so it's a nice solution if you prefer a quieter island.

Lesbos is a big island so you have more variety and more things to see, since there are also many small villages on the mountains of the mainland.

Lately i've been hearing great things about Samothraki and Thassos. Everyone says that there are very beautiful islands, that are largely untouched by mass tourism.

Then again there are always popular tourist destinations like Rhodes and Santorini. A year ago i would also recommend the islands of Skiathos, Skopelos and Alloniosos, but after the huge success of Mamma Mia! huge crowds of tourists are expected there this summer. (many of them are having their wedding ceremony there)

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1244321872
Movielover
Graduate

Post by Movielover »

Anybody been to Cyprus or Madeira? Trying to plan a trip and wanted thoughts on these places. I have been reading about Madeira and it looks like it can be done in a day out of Lisbon - just fly there in the morning, spend the day there, and fly back in the early evening. Is this true?

How much time is needed to enjoy Cyprus?

Also, Lesbos, Patmos, Kos? These beautiful islands? The Eastern Greek Islands interest me more than the Western ones.

Many thanks.

Return to “General Off-Topic”