Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

The Counterfeiters (Stefan Ruzowitsky) 6.5/10

Not as emotionally involving as the subject matter would lead you to believe, it was merely okay.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

--Damien wrote:Whaddya know, a left-wing children's movie. And it's a film saturated with kindness.

Yes, and it stars that wonderful child actress, Abigail Breslin.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241619531
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Kit Kittredge: An American Girl (2008 Patricia Rozema)

Whaddya know, a left-wing children's movie. And it's a film saturated with kindness.

7/10
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I just watched it recently (during TCM's 31 Days of Oscar), and not having seen it before or lived through the era, I found it dull and not that funny. I love Mazursky's later work (esp. An Unmarried Woman, which I also just caught), but this seemed scattershot. Gould came off the best, I thought. He was funny and heartbreaking, especially during that last scene. Wood was never lovelier, but she and Culp were boring as hell.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote:What stood out for me this time was how good Dyan Cannon was. Possibly because, uptight as she was, she came closest to embodying the audience's "are you people serious?" responses. ......... given how funny much of it was -- particularly the Cannon/Gould bedroom scene -- that was a limitation with which I could live.
I thought Cannon was hilarious in the scene with her analyst.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote:Wood looked great, but didn't do anything special, nor did Culp.
How funny.....I thought these two came off more natural than Gould and Cannon.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Wow -- duelling responses posted simultaneously.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

--Big Magilla wrote:
--Reza wrote:Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice (Paul Mazursky, 1969) 7/10

Really? I thought this thing was just silly in 1969 and downright embarrassing now. And I generally like Mazursky's films.

I was all set to be embarrassed but was quite pleasantly surprised. Who knows it could be because I am down with the flu and am generally feeling miserable.......and all that ''love'' talk perked me up a bit.

Bob Culp and Natalie Wood (at her loveliest) come off better than the two nominated actors....Elliott Gould and Dyan Cannon. And I loved the costumes worn by all four stars.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241619555
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Reza wrote:Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice (Paul Mazursky, 1969) 7/10
I just watched this again myself, for the first time since 1970. I was surprised at how well I remembered it -- not just the overall thrust, but many individual moments.

What stood out for me this time was how good Dyan Cannon was. Possibly because, uptight as she was, she came closest to embodying the audience's "are you people serious?" responses. Gould was also, as remembered, funny. Wood looked great, but didn't do anything special, nor did Culp.

The film showed Mazursky/Tucker's roots in revue comedy. The through-thread was pretty weak; we seemed to jump from one Nichols/May sketch to the next. But, given how funny much of it was -- particularly the Cannon/Gould bedroom scene -- that was a limitation with which I could live.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

--Reza wrote:Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice (Paul Mazursky, 1969) 7/10

Really? I thought this thing was just silly in 1969 and downright embarrassing now. And I generally like Mazursky's films.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241619561
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (Mark Herman, 2008) 8/10

Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice (Paul Mazursky, 1969) 7/10
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Bashing (2005) Masahiro Kabayashi 7/10

Derby (1971) Robert Kaylor 7/10

The Signal (2007) David Bruckner, Jacob Gentary & Dan Bush 5/10

The Secret Life of Bees (2008) Gina Prince-Bythewood 4/10

Flashbacks of a Fool (2008) Baillie Walsh 2/10

Daniel Craig has blue eyes. The actor playing him at a younger age has brown eyes (and a very bad blond dye job). It must be said that that is the least of this films problems.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

--rain Bard wrote:Ok, I see that. For me, I like to keep in mind that most of the film is told in flashback by someone who is confessing his heart and soul to the one man he has most respect for. He may be a faulty narrator, which could account for any awkwardness in his relations with Stanwyck's femme fatale.

From all reports, Fred MacMurray was not a particularly pleasant person in real life. Billy Wilder tapped into that aspect in both Double Inndemnity and The Apartment and the films are all the more effective for it. I think MacMurray is tremendous in Double Indemnity, and deserved a Best Actor nomination in lieu of Barry Fitzgerald.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241619576
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Ok, I see that. For me, I like to keep in mind that most of the film is told in flashback by someone who is confessing his heart and soul to the one man he has most respect for. He may be a faulty narrator, which could account for any awkwardness in his relations with Stanwyck's femme fatale.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

I agree that MacMurray is perfect for the everyman aspect of the role. I just wasn't convinced when he tried to sound like the tough guy, e.g., the way he keeps calling Stanwyck "baby." Maybe I wasn't supposed to be convinced, given that MacMurray's character is clearly in over his head with Stanwyck's Phyllis Dietrichson.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”