Inauguration Thread

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

flipp525 wrote:I was going to share some Inaugural celeb hobnobbing anecdotes from this past week just for fun, but since I'm such an egotistical name-dropper, I guess I'll just keep them to myself :;):
Oh, c'mon. Nothing wrong with namedropping.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

:;)

Edited By flipp525 on 1233068905
Last edited by flipp525 on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Obama knows movies. There's a documentaryy running on the National Geographic network about Air Force One, and it shows the President meeting the plane's ruggedly handsome pilot.

"Wow, you look like you came out of Central Casting," Obama tells the man. "You're like Sam Sheperd in The Right Stuff."

Now to me, the guy looked more like Lloyd Bridges in Airplane, but still it was cool that the President referenced a 25-year-old movie that these days is hardly on anybody's radar (despite Pauline Kael's best efforts back in the day to talk it up as a masterpiece).
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Johnny Guitar wrote:
Reza wrote:It's official I suppose. Obama is el Presidente of the Americas, Western Europe, Iraq, Afghanistan and Islamabad. Did i forget Kenya and the Philippines?

You forgot Poland.

And Indonesia.
Talk about persecution!!! And here people keep going into the past to revisit again and again the Holocaust!!

Hitler has been alive and well ever since 1945 in the guise of el Presidente.
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

Reza wrote:It's official I suppose. Obama is el Presidente of the Americas, Western Europe, Iraq, Afghanistan and Islamabad. Did i forget Kenya and the Philippines?

You forgot Poland.

And Indonesia.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

It's official I suppose. Obama is el Presidente of the Americas, Western Europe, Iraq, Afghanistan and Islamabad. Did i forget Kenya and the Philippines?

Edited By Reza on 1232893225
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big Magilla wrote:We need to rejoice in the moment for this time may not come again. Memories are short and in 4, 8 or hopefully more, many more, years the worm will turn and we could easily elect another Nixon or W. or worse. Some of the emerging Republicans in the House and Senate are truly scary and are apt to breed many more like themselves.

I remember in the early 70s saying, "Nixon's horrible, but at least we'll never have anyone as bad as him again."

Then in the 80s, shell-shocked, we got Ronald Reagan, and we thought, "Jeez, he makes Nixon look good, but at least we'll never have someone this hideous again."

And then we got George W. Bush, who made Nixon look like FDR and Reagan look like Gerald Ford. And we said, it could
never be this grotesque again, at least not in our lifetime.

But then Sarah Palin arrives on the scene, waiting for her time . . .

God help us all.

Edited By Damien on 1232696728
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

I feel so glad to be around to witness what has happened in America this past week, I can imagine it hasn't felt like this in many decades.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:Instead of focusing on someone's hat and someone's else's shoes, we should all be celebrating this momentous occasion that has ended eight years of a national/international nightmare.

President Obama has hit the ground running, struck all the right notes and is setting out forcefully to repair the damage caused by the previous administration. He is running the government like a business, the way it should be run, not like a country club. We need to rejoice in the moment for this time may not come again. Memories are short and in 4, 8 or hopefully more, many more, years the worm will turn and we could easily elect another Nixon or W. or worse. Some of the emerging Republicans in the House and Senate are truly scary and are apt to breed many more like themselves.
Here, here, Big Magilla. I am already impressed with what Obama has done in two days. He is truly the real deal.

There is still a buoyant air of celebration in Washington. We are all riding high on the national togetherness that occurred on Tuesday.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Instead of focusing on someone's hat and someone's else's shoes, we should all be celebrating this momentous occasion that has ended eight years of a national/international nightmare.

President Obama has hit the ground running, struck all the right notes and is setting out forcefully to repair the damage caused by the previous administration. He is running the government like a business, the way it should be run, not like a country club. We need to rejoice in the moment for this time may not come again. Memories are short and in 4, 8 or hopefully more, many more, years the worm will turn and we could easily elect another Nixon or W. or worse. Some of the emerging Republicans in the House and Senate are truly scary and are apt to breed many more like themselves.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1232644659
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Franz Ferdinand wrote:3) Barack Obama will be the first president since FDR to be "sworn in" three times :D
Nope. Both Eishenhower and Reagan had three swearing-ins because Jan. 20 fell on a Sunday. They had a private swearing in on the 20th and a public ceremony on the 21st.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

1) Aretha's hat can be pulled by few people other than Aretha herself. She sounded "horrendous" (exaggeration) because she is getting on in years and even the great singers go downhill after a while. She is an icon still.
2) Michelle Obama has a great fashion sense, she will be a glamorous first lady somewhere near Jackie O in stature, and she just seems so likable.
3) Barack Obama will be the first president since FDR to be "sworn in" three times :D
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Edited By flipp525 on 1232575525

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Two bits of fashion got snide comments from people in my office.

1) Aretha's hat
2) Michelle Obama's shoes
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Damien wrote:I loved Aretha's hat. It wouldn't work with everyone but looked great on her.
It was interesting, to say the least. But you're right, it wouldn't look good on a lot of people. It wouldn't look good on me anyway. :p
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)

Return to “Current Events”