Rush Attacks Powell For Endorsing Obama

criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

jsmalahy wrote:
criddic3 wrote:"Nuaces" are not always serviceable when making a decision. In other words, overthinking a situation (as I believe Obama does) can lead to making a bad choice or no real choice at all.

Thank you for confirming what almost everyone else on this board has always known: that people like you fail to grasp "nuances" and that "thinking" is overrated.
No thinking isn't overrated. Overthinking is. Read the post again.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
jsmalahy
Graduate

Post by jsmalahy »

criddic3 wrote:"Nuaces" are not always serviceable when making a decision. In other words, overthinking a situation (as I believe Obama does) can lead to making a bad choice or no real choice at all.
Thank you for confirming what almost everyone else on this board has always known: that people like you fail to grasp "nuances" and that "thinking" is overrated.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Powell also praised Obama's intellect, flexibility, communication skills and ability to understand the nuances of the serious issues he will face as President. And he also said the election of a man of Obama's age and ethnic background at this time in history will have a positive effect on the rest of the world and America's reputation

OKay, some of those qualities are recommendable in a President, but it doesn't mean he will be a good one. "Nuaces" are not always serviceable when making a decision. In other words, overthinking a situation (as I believe Obama does) can lead to making a bad choice or no real choice at all. Witnessing his answer on abortion and conception at the Rick Warren forum, I can't help but wonder if he'd have the same type of answer in a real crisis. "It's above my pay grade."

President Bush did make a serious error in not sending enough troops to Iraq. That much is true. But some of his advisors wanted to stream-line the effort. This didn't hurt the initial operation, but it certainly led to a painful few years afterwards. I think the mistake that many opponents make is to turn the argument into a discussion about why we went in the first place, rather than on how the aftermath was handled. Bush made the very reasonable argument that Weapons of Mass Destruction, while part of the equation, was one of many to take out Saddam Hussein after 9/11. Hussein was in a position to gain power from the attack, even if he was not part of it. That's why Kerry lost the debate over Iraq in 2004. John McCain understood that, and fought the administration over key elements of the war. The surge happened partly due to McCain's vigorous support of the plan.

Senator Obama is running against John McCain. He thinks he's running against President Bush. Maybe he's persuaded enough people into agreeing with that idea. But it's a false premise. McCain may be a Republican and he may side with the administration on some things, but he's his own man. Colin Powell may disagree with his party on how this campaign has been run or he may be angry at the administration for their treatment of his dissent, but Powell isn't a conservative in a lot of ways anyway. He is a moderate, and is pro-choice. He said that his opposition to the McCain/Palin ticket is - in part- a pre-emptive strike against more conservative judges who might overturn Roe vs. Wade.

And yet, Mr. Powell also reasserts his belief that McCain can still "be a good President," if elected. Plus he stated that he does not want to campaign for Obama. He is merely voting for him. His endorsement will help the Senator from Illinois. How much remains to be seen.

Edited By criddic3 on 1224443391
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

BTW, I always suspected that the reason Bush decided to use 125,000 troops in 2003 when almost everyone thought it would take at least twice as much to both topple the government and maintain security afterward was his 2004 re-election campaign. If we had used an adequate number of troops, many soldiers from swing states or states that Bush barely won in 2000 may have been in harm's way in the Fall of 2004. Bush was afraid of losing those states and that affected his decision making. Maybe Powell knew that political considerations affected Bush's decisions when we invaded Iraq. On Meet The Press today, Powell acknowledged the success of "the surge" but said also it may have been better if we had used those extra troops years earlier.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

October 19, 2008
Categories: McCain

Limbaugh: Where are the inexperienced, white liberals Powell has endorsed?

Rush Limbaugh said Colin Powell's decision to get behind Barack Obama appeared to be very much tied to Obama's status as the first African-American with a chance to become president.

"Secretary Powell says his endorsement is not about race," Limbaugh wrote in an email. "OK, fine. I am now researching his past endorsements to see if I can find all the inexperienced, very liberal, white candidates he has endorsed. I'll let you know what I come up with."

As for Powell's statement of concern this morning about the sort of Supreme Court justices a President McCain might appoint, Limbaugh wrote: "I was also unaware of his dislike for John Roberts, Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, Anthony Kennedy and Antonin Scalia. I guess he also regrets Reagan and Bush making him a four-star [General] and Secretary of State and appointing his son to head the FCC. Yes, let's hear it for transformational figures."

By Jonathan Martin 12:24 PM
=======
I saw Powell on Meet The Press this morning and much of what he said expresses why I voted for Kerry in 2004 and will vote for Obama on November 4. The GOP has become a very narrow party that has allowed its agenda to become controlled by the Religious Right. If McCain had won the GOP nomination in 2000 and become President, maybe that would not have happened. He may have not followed such an extreme domestic agenda. He may not have used the 9/11 attacks to suspend Constitutional protections. He may not have embarrassed Powell by making him go to the U.N. with evidence a lot of people were suspicious of at the time and whose suspicions later proved to be valid. He may not have decided to invade Iraq when almost all of our allies and the rest of the world were against it. And, if he had invaded Iraq, he may have sent enough troops to not only topple Saddam's government but make the country secure.

But Bush became President and took the GOP down the tubes. Traditional Republicans like Powell who supported the first President Bush are appalled and speaking out. I think it is significant that Powell waited so long to make this announcement. I believe he gave a lot of thought to endorsing McCain or keeping his mouth shut. But he saw McCain's domestic and foreign policy agenda to be a lot like the current President's. Out of necessity, McCain has had to kowtow to the religious right to fund his campaign and for foot soldiers. Powell saw how McCain, Palin and their surrogates are trying to get voters to fear having someone "different" as President. And the decision to pick Palin probably shocked Powell. She is obviously unqualified but she makes the Religious Right happy and that was considered to be more important. McCain cannot be the maverick he was in 2000 and I'll bet that saddened and disappointed fellow military officer Powell.

Powell also praised Obama's intellect, flexibility, communication skills and ability to understand the nuances of the serious issues he will face as President. And he also said the election of a man of Obama's age and ethnic background at this time in history will have a positive effect on the rest of the world and America's reputation.

I am sure Rush watched Powell on Meet The Press. For Rush to dismiss everything that Powell actually said and write that this is only one "brother" supporting another "brother" is dishonest. I hope guys like Rush and Hannity make that argument loudly and frequently tomorrow. They will look even more ridiculous than they already do. They will also draw more attention to the fact that a man of substance like Powell, whose endorsement McCain was hoping for and maybe expecting, backs Obama.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes

Return to “Current Events”