Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

flipp525 wrote:
Penelope wrote:
flipp525 wrote:
How 'bout a cig?

Can't, I'm wearing the patch today.

Me, too. I can only see out of my left today. ARRR!!!
How appropriate. Pirates ravage booty.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Penelope wrote:
flipp525 wrote:
Penelope wrote:
Nope.

How 'bout a cig?

Me, too. I can only see out of my left today. ARRR!!!
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

flipp525 wrote:
Penelope wrote:
Zahveed wrote:
Tea?

Nope.

How 'bout a cig?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Penelope wrote:
Zahveed wrote:
Penelope wrote:Sorry, I don't drink coffee.

Tea?

Nope.
How 'bout a cig?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Zahveed wrote:

Tea?
Nope.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Tea?
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Yes, that's all well and good, and certainly it's admirable that they're doing something for their communities; but that doesn't change the fact that, in the end, all religions play on their followers' belief in a mythical being and an unrealistic afterlife to coerce money from them. Better that people give what they can to secular, non-demonational organizations that provide for the community without resorting to fantasy.

Sorry, I don't drink coffee.

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Penelope wrote:Well, in a way, isn't that more refreshing? After all, they're being up-front about being a capitalist organization wanting your money rather than using emotional blackmail to get the money from you.
Most churches (protestant, not Catholic) in America are small holes-in-the-wall and stay that way due to the small congregations and low income. I understand the disdain for the mega churches for amassing thousands of unknowing saps and taking their cash, but it's just a little unfair to asume they're all like that. The offerings are meant for general upkeep, neighborhood donations, and some of these people do this for a living so it ends up being their only income. This isn't the case for all churches, but I just wanted to shed some light on a corner that seems to be frequently neglected in these conversations. You can hate religion all you want for their beliefs and I know someone is going to bring up something about christians being asshole republicans, but that's a totally different subject that I'm not arguing.

Anyways...

Coffee anyone?
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

The Founding Church of Scientology center is here in Washington and happens to be located right in my neighborhood so I often walk by it (rolotomasi99, you live in Dupont, too, if I recall correctly). It's headquartered in a huge Gothic mansion on the corner of R and Connecticut Ave. There's always a Scientologist out front offering free "stress tests" and passing out pamphlets. The other day I was walking by and there was a huge demonstration in front of the building of ex-Scientologists and anti-Scientologists, some of them wearing V for Vendetta masks and corralling passers-by. It's all very freaky, cultish and I've made my thoughts well known on the subject, particularly in the infamous "Tom Cruise is a jerk" thread.

Edited By flipp525 on 1217595351

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I can't speak for all Mega Churches these days, but there's one here in town that requires people to sign a contract pledging to tithe to the church before they are allowed to join it.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Well, in a way, isn't that more refreshing? After all, they're being up-front about being a capitalist organization wanting your money rather than using emotional blackmail to get the money from you.

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

It would be a little more credible if it wasn't mandatory to pay for entry (not to be confused with the optional "offering")
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

It's as valid as any other religion.

jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I've always found it insulting that they use the word 'Church' in their title. A church is a place of worship. Who/what do they worship? Space-men?

I think it's time for a lengthy descussion on this barking-mad 'religion'.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Is this the same guy that released the video online about his time in Scientology?

Return to “Current Events”