[NE] Nomination Elim Game ('79- OSCARGUY)

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reminder, from now on we have two picks in group 2, one of which is in music.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Six hours and counting for the start of round two.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

FilmFan720 wrote:
Penelope wrote:I'm literally devastated that Laura wasn't able to make the Best Picture lineup.

Me too, and I almost put it in there. Damn. It is worlds ahead of both Gaslight and Since You Went Away.
Isn't it great? I knew you'd love it.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Penelope wrote:I'm literally devastated that Laura wasn't able to make the Best Picture lineup.
Me too, and I almost put it in there. Damn. It is worlds ahead of both Gaslight and Since You Went Away.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I'm literally devastated that Laura wasn't able to make the Best Picture lineup.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Cinemanolis wrote:Replace Agnes Moorehead.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Agnes Moorehead's annoyingly phony French accent that comes and goes constituted the year's single worst nomination. I wasn't ging to say anything because I knew if I did someone would preserve it - watch someone resuce it now!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:Going My Way is an ok movie, but hardly worthy a Best Picture nomination, better yet a win.

Funny how everyone at the time seemed to think it was including the New York Film Critics and the Hollywood Foregin Press Assocaition with only the National Board of Review dropping it second place in favor of None But the Lonely Heart.

Of course a lot had to do with the respite from the war that the film brought as well as the enormous popularity of Bing Crosby. Of course time has not been kind to it. Today, Meet Me in St. Louis, Laura and Double Indemnity are more highly regarded as indeed may be The Curse of the Cat People and The Miracle of Morgan's Creek but it has remained more popular than Wilson, Since You Went Away and Gaslight. If anything Gaslight has suffered from comparisons to the then suppressed in the U.S. 1940 British version which is darker and less compromising in its denoument. The best thing about Gaslight remains the performances and that great art direction, but I'll grant that Bronislau Kaper's score is under-appreciated.

The first time I saw Lifeboat I thought it was a great film, but the last time I watched it I was somewhat disappointed, especially with Tallulah calling everybody "darling".

As for Song of the Open Road, I've never seen it but it is the film that introduced Jane Powell playing a character that gave her her screen name. It was also W.C. Fields' last movie. For those two reasons it should be preserved.

I hated to see His Butler's Sister's two nominations go. It's one of Deanna Durbin's most charming films though it's understandable that few ahve seen it due to Universal's refusal to release more of her films on DVD in the U.S. even though they have made them all available in the U.K.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1213211306
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

I
Replace Agnes Moorehead with Josephine Hull 'Arsenic and Old Lace' in Supporting Actress

II

Preserve 'Going My Way' in Original Motion Picture Story

Preserve the music of Kismet

Pass the other music choice (haven't heard any of those)

III
Replace the Art Direction BW of 'No Time for Love' with 'Arsenic and Old Lace'
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

If this game is teaching me nothing else, is that I pretty much hate all of OG's favorite movies. :D
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, I knew it would go, but I'm optimistic that I still have a chance to right the wrongs of the past.

Going My Way is an ok movie, but hardly worthy a Best Picture nomination, better yet a win.

Group 1: Going My Way is removed and Gaslight is rescued to replace it. My favorite movie of that year was unfairly removed and I am glad that I still have the opportunity to recognize it. It's a terrific psychological thriller and helped me fall in love with the talents of Ingrid Bergman and Charles Boyer.

Group 2: Gaslight's clever pacing is a testament to he editor, so that replaces Going My Way

Group 2a: Continuing my Gaslight fever, I'll replace Jack London with Gaslight in Drama/Comedy Score

Group 2b: Since I'm out of Gaslight entries, I'll preserve Song of the Open Road (because I like the title. :) )

Group 3: Gaslight goes into Sound Recording and I'll remove His Butler's Sister.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Group One: Preserve Hitchcock for Lifeboat (director)

Group Two: Preserve Lifeboat in B&W Cinematography

Group Two Music: Score: Preserve The Princess and the Pirate

Group Two Music: pass

Group Three: pass
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

LOL, Okri just made half my changes. So...

Group 1 - Let's get Jennifer Jones out of Supporting Actress and get Margaret O'Brien in there for Meet Me in St. Louis

Group 2a - Replace the editing of Since You Went Away with Meet Me in St. Louis

Group 2b - Preserve Max Steiner's nomination for The Adventures of Mark Twain

Group 2c - Preserve the nomination of Knickerbocker Holiday, if for no other reason (I have never seen it) then to keep Kurt Weill's Oscar nomination. Plus, it has some nice songs.

Group 3 - Replace the art direction (b/w) for Address Unknown with House of Frankenstein.

Edited By FilmFan720 on 1213186804
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Pick One: I'm preserving Double Indemnity in best picture. Just in case someone gets some crazy idea.

Pick Two
A) I'm preserving Double Indemnity in best screenplay.
b) I'm preserving Lady in the Dark in best musical scoring
c) I'm preserving Wilson in the other best musical scoring

Pick Three
I'm replacing His Butler's Sister with Meet Me in St. Louis for best sound recording.

Sorry for the delay.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I think 48 hours is the rule. You can go and Okri can go whenever he logs on next.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

How long do we wait for someone before moving on? It's been 48 hours now.
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”