King Solomon's Mines
3%
Sunset Boulevard
36%

Total votes: 33

Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

What an embarrassment of riches to have these two films to choose from! Sunset is brilliant of course, but All About Eve is one of my favorite films of all time. Easy vote.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I completely agree with Eric. I find Mankiewicz's direction as brisk as his writing and I've always found the Holden-Olson scenes in Sunset Boulevard to be rather sluggish.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Actually, the last few times I've watched All About Eve, I've been struck by how briskly Mank moves as both a writer and a director. Many scenes are basically exposition, but his characters are so successfully drawn and well-casted that I am hard-pressed to think of too many that are outright disposable. Sunset Blvd. is great, but I would suggest many of the William Holden-Nancy Olson scenes are as sluggish as anything in Eve.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Sunset Blvd. All About Eve has an undeniably brilliant script, but Mankiewicz's direction is tad too sluggish for my taste.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

Vote your 1950 pick

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”