Theatre Best of Poll Final Ballot

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

My general method is to valuate each individual by a rating (say 1 to 10 or 1 to 4) then sort those (through use of a spreadsheet) and the rank them in those sections...makes it much easier to rank my 100 greatest films when I have far more than that to choose from.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Wow, I did mine the exact same way Magilla. It does help.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't know if this is helpful, but the way I did it was to copy the list onto a spreadsheet and added a column before the list. I then started numbering the titles from the bottom up rather than top down, picking off titles in the order I could live without them. I then did the same thing with the composers and lyricists. It went surprisingly fast.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I'll get mine in soon. Go Jerome Kern!!!!
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

If enough people are willing to submit by the end of the month, I have no problem extending.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I sat down to try and do this last night, but found it a rather daunting task to rank 60 musicals, 17 composers, & 17 lyricists. Any way to extend the deadline?
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I sent my ballot in...so I will gripe all I want if that dreckful piece of musical crap ends up anywhere above the bottom five...ugh.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I've so far gotten three ballots. I can't exactly issue a final result with so few. However, if no one wants to participate, then they'll have no room to grouse if something like say "Wicked" ends up in the Top 10 musicals of all-time...just saying.
Wesley Lovell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

So, are ballots in? When are we seeing the final list?
- Minor Myers, Jr.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

So many missed. I am sorry--I cannot play this game, as I couldn't possibly rate them. If asked for the best piano concertos of the century, I could give you a list, but I couldn't rate them. The same would go for the Best Books, Best Authors, etc.
I could not in all conscience put one show over another--there are some I like and some I don't, but this is a futile exercise for me. Look at all the ones that Film Fan listed...Some of those belong on the list. And I know too many shows to treat them fairly.

I would be willing to bet if you asked a Broadway actor, or actress or even a critic to "rate the best lyricist" etc. he/she could not do it.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I'm delighted that we're more perceptive than the Tony voters, and that Grey Gardens is included while the ludicrously over-rated Spring Awakening is not.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

All in all, not a bad ballot. Too bad my #26 show, 110 in the Shade, did not make the list.

Glad to see such populist dreck like Phantom of the Opera, Rent or Mamma Mia! not make the list (although there are still some sorry shows at the bottom of my ballot).

Some other shows which certainly deserve consideration, especially over some of these shows: 110 in the Shade, 42nd Street, Avenue Q, Elegies, Falsettoland, Floyd Collins, The Full Monty, The Goodbye Girl, Honk!, Jesus Christ Superstar, The Life, Light in the Piazza, Little Me, Mack and Mabel, Man of LaMancha, Me and My Girl, Of Thee I Sing, Once Upon a Mattress, The Pajama Game, Peter Pan, Pippin, Seussical, Sunday in the Park with George, Tommy, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Urinetown, Whistle Down the Wind, The Wild Party (LaChiusa), A Year with Frog and Toad and You're a Good Man Charlie Brown. Any of those would certainly end up on my list before my bottom 10 or 15 shows.

And where is poor Cy Coleman??!!

Edited By FilmFan720 on 1191297192
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I would have to have you rate them all because I couldn't then guarantee that people wouldn't leave shows off on purpose. There aren't a lot of nominees, so making it a shorter sort wouldn't provide a very good result, IMO.
Wesley Lovell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

OG, do you want us to rank all 60/17? What about those we may not be familiar with?
- Minor Myers, Jr.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

OK, seriously, who put Wicked on the ballot??? :)

Thank you though, whoever put Paint Your Wagon on there. What an underrated piece.
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”