Tootsie
43%
The Verdict
No votes

Total votes: 40

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

criddic3 wrote:By the way, your 'h' to Gandhi is in the wrong place.
lol. Touche!
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

yeah, I accidentally added that 's'.

Anyway, no I think that the film has some wonderful scenes in it and it tells it's story compellingly. I'd have to watch it again to see if the movie dragged in any parts, which I don't remember from when I saw it last (which was during my high school days). Still, I maintain that Ben Kingsley is memorable in the part.

By the way, your 'h' to Gandhi is in the wrong place.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I think he must be referring to the fact that the movie presents Gandhi's life in real time.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

criddic3 wrote:
flipp525 wrote:
criddic3 wrote:Gandhi is a wonderful film.

snooooooze

I guess you don't like history much, then. I like to be swept up in stories on a huge canvass.

Liking history (which I do very much) and liking Ghandi are not mutually exclusive. Oh, and I think you meant "canvas".

Edited By flipp525 on 1174771394
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

flipp525 wrote:

snooooooze
I guess you don't like history much, then. I like to be swept up in stories on a huge canvass. Ben Kingsley is so right for this part that he carries the film superbly. It is long, but I really don't mind that when the story is interesting enough.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

For me, Missing is the only one that even approaches Best Picture status.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

snooooooze

criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Gandhi is a wonderful film. I like it from an historical drama standpoint. I love history, and think both the subject and the actor playing him are admirable.

Having said that, I think my favorite film here is Spielberg's E.T., which some may dismiss as a sentimental science-fiction family film, but it is such a beautifully filmed and acted story.

Missing and The Verdict had some remarkable acting, but were not Best Picture to me.

Tootsie is terrific, especially considering all the rip-offs through the years, but it doesn't have the weight of a Best Picture really.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Missing
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Tootsie and ET were true rarities -- both absolutely commercial and absolutely wonderful. That they fell to the lumbering, stultifying Gandhi shows how easy it was in those days to sell the Academy on "important" subject matter.

I voted for Tootsie, but Spielberg would have been my director choice.
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

E.T The Extra-Terrestrial
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Missing.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Tootsie all the way. A comedy classic that holds up today. (And damn, Jeanne Cooper from Y&R really does look like 'Dorothy Michaels'!)

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

My God, 'Gandhi' is a boring ass movie! I just saw it and I'm actually amazed that it won. I'm not sure it would today. Goddamn the 80's sucked!

I'm a fan of the other four. Going to have to be boring and go with 'E.T'. Really wish 'Diner' was nominated.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”