The Godfather
53%
Sounder
No votes

Total votes: 38

criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

well the two top films are definitely two of the most exciting acheivments of the early seventies.

Cabaret enters as a "gay" favorite, although it is so good and unique that I can't really understand the near-exclusive nature of its fanclub.

The Godfather is just a great, iconic mob picture that is one of the best of all-time. So, it is my choice.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Avanti! did very well with mominations at the Golden Globes -- I suspect the Foreign Press was nicely wined and dined -- but ther movie was a bomb, and no one espected it to have any involvement with the Oscars. The only critics who liked it at the time were hard core auteurists -- I remember Sarris had it on his 10 Best list (along with other Old Master works, Cukor's Travels With My Aunt and Hitchcock's Frenzy).

Edited By Damien on 1238015112
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I saw 'Avanti!' for the first time and enjoyed the spirit of it if not the execution which genuinely lags. But Juliet Mills is wonderful and Jack Lemmon is quite good himself. Was there talk of 'Avanti!' factoring in strongly for the Oscars? I just looked it up and it garnered nomination for Comedic/Musical Picture, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Director, and Screenplay.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Cabaret, followed very closely by The Godfather.

Sounder is like a tv film, The Emigrants long and dull and Deliverance is quite good.

I held a high view of Avanti. Having seen it again recently, found it merely to be a cute, one note comedy. However, Juliet Mills is superb in it. Also a great film is Bunuel's The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

FilmFan720 wrote:
Hustler wrote:I would propose a tie: Cabaret and The Godfather.

Aah, I see we have a bi-sexual here:)
Beautiful.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Being gay and loving The Godfather aren't mutually exclusive. I love Cabaret (Liza Minnelli's never been better and her rendition of "Maybe this Time" gives me chills) but I'll take Michael Corleone in that diner bathroom any day of the week. Part II is even better.

Edited By flipp525 on 1173666077
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Cabaret - my favourite film of all time.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Hustler wrote:I would propose a tie: Cabaret and The Godfather.
Aah, I see we have a bi-sexual here:)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I would propose a tie: Cabaret and The Godfather.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

The Godfather, easily. I love Sounder quite a bit and it would be my second choice.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I've only seen Godfather and Cabaret, but I am also a heterosexual male who would vote Cabaret. Mister Tee, if you and I were gay, does that mean we would vote Godfather instead? :)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Is Ann Coulter doing the commentary? Heterosexual Male for Cabaret.

Lots of fine movies here, but Cabaret was one of the most eye/mind-opening experiences I've ever had in a cinema.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Being a homosexual male who is continually mystified by the deification of The Godfather, my vote goes to Cabaret.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

One of Oscar's biggest foregone conclusions walks away with a paltry three. Being a heterosexual male, I go with 'The Godfather'.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”