The King And I
10%
The Ten Commandments
21%

Total votes: 29

criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Around the World in 80 Days is a large, star-filled entertainment, and it remains enjoyable but probably should not have won best picture.

Friendly Persuasion is thoughtful and well-acted. Compared with all the other nominees, it is the least epic-feeling. Also gave Anthony Perkins a chance to shine in his only Oscar-nominated performance.

Giant is sometimes quite impressive, but somehow I don't see it as a Best Picture winner (maybe because it didn't win, hehe).

The King and I is a joyous musical and Yul Brynner is memorable in the role of the King. They made the right decision to give it to him rather than to the Picture, I think, though.

The Ten Commandments is a wonderfully entertaining, large-scale epic with some superb performances from Heston and Brynner, along with some colorful ones from Baxter and Edward G. Robinson. I would pick this one out of this line-up, which I don't think was really horrible. I didn't hate any of them. In addition to the great spectacle (one of the last truly fine ones), the music by Elmer Bernstein is terrific (why didn't they nominate the score?).
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Reza wrote:Anne Baxter, drooling at Heston's Moses, is an absolute delight. Campy but sexy!
Not to mention deranged on her part, but yeah.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

rudeboy wrote:but The Ten Commandments edges it for me - solid, ridiculous, campy fun.

Anne Baxter, drooling at Heston's Moses, is an absolute delight. Campy but sexy!
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Surely one of the most depressing line-ups in oscar history... not an outstanding film there. The overlong and uneven Giant has it's moments, but The Ten Commandments edges it for me - solid, ridiculous, campy fun.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I agree with Penelope on Giant. And, really though, how gay is that freakin' movie? I mean, with Rock Hudson in tight jeans "feuding" with James Dean who's all slicked up in that lubricating black oil and the uber-butch "she's-probably-a-dyke" Luz played by Mercedes McCambridge. Please.

Edited By flipp525 on 1174325316
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

None of these are particularly masterful films, though Giant comes closest and thus earns my vote.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

Vote your 1956 best film pick

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”