Skippy
No votes
Trader Horn
8%

Total votes: 13

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Magilla, I could put ditto marks under your post. City Lights is so far superior to the nominees it's not even a fair fight.

Reza, I believe you'd dismiss Trader Horn just as quickly as Cimarron were you to see it. In fact, I'd argue for Cimarron being marginally better, if only because there's something fun about seeing the city grow slowly up around the contours established at the outset. (On the other hand, the Dix performance truly rates the adjective "godawful"...and there's a sequence with a black servant boy that takes racism to an almost baroque level) With Trader Horn, though, I barely made it to the end.

Skippy is kind of weird -- (SPOILER ALERT) the kids spend most of the movie trying to save a dog from the pound, and they fail. The film suggests, after a good cry, that this situation can be remedied by Skippy's father coming home with another dog. It's hard to believe whoever wrote this script was ever a pet owner.

On the other hand, Jackie Cooper -- both here and in The Champ -- was the most amazing kid-cryer in the history of movies.

The Front Page obviously pales next to the preternaturally energetic His Girl Friday, but the script is pretty much foolproof, and it's easily the best of this bunch.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

City Lights and The Blue Angel should have been nominated. Voted for The Front Page by default.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Voted for The Front Page. Fast talking social drama with a superb Adolphe Menjou.

I believe East Lynne is either ''lost'' or appears to have dissapeared. Cimarron is one of the worst films to win the top award. Irene Dunne is fine but Richard Dix is unbelievably bad.

Have yet to see Skippy and Trader Horn.

Other great films not to make it on the list are Morocco (a capmy delight thanks to Dietrich) and Little Caesar.

Edited By Reza on 1206670141
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

Vote your 1930-31 pick

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”