Geico Cavemen to get their own TV show

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Unpopular opinion #1: Screw you all. I'm sure the show is going to be an abomination, one long Geico informercial. But I love these ads, really clever commentary on diversity and ethnic sensitivity, more effective in their totality than individually. Of course they don't tell you anything about the product itself, but what decent commercial does? And I'm glad the guy who somehow manages to communicate disgust and sarcasm throught all that caveman makeup is getting some work. Who the heck would know who he is in order to hire him? These ads are second to the Wes Anderson American Express commercial done in a long take. And third to the Dove commerical where the cute girl showering herself realizes a camera is on her and she bashfully smiles and bites her lower lip.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Damien wrote:Yuchhhhh! I think these are among the stupidest, tedious and most ununny ads on TV.
I couldn't agree more. And that is quite the accomplishment, given the inane state of TV commercials today.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Yuchhhhh! I think these are among the stupidest, tedious and most unfunny ads on TV.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

ABC developing 'Cavemen'
Comedy pilot based on Geico ads
By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

Winner for most unusual piece of development this pilot season goes to ABC, which has turned a series of quirky Geico commercials into an actual half-hour comedy project.
"Cavemen" will revolve around three pre-historic men who must battle prejudice as they attempt to live as normal thirtysomethings in modern Atlanta.

Project, from ABC TV Studio, is penned by Joe Lawson, an advertising copywriter who was behind the "Caveman" ads -- as well as other Geico commercials (think the cockney-speaking Geico gecko, and the reality TV spoof "Tiny House").

Daniel Rappaport, Guymon Cassady, Will Speck and Josh Gordon are exec producers. Speck and Gordon, commercial directors who recently helmed the Will Farrell feature "Blades of Glory," are on board to also direct.

The single-camera laffer pilot is based on the Geico ads that promote the insurance company's Web site as so user-friendly that even "a caveman could do it." The spots follow cavemen in modern settings, reacting with offense to the derogatory slogan. In one, a Geico spokesman apologizes and takes the Neanderthals out to dinner.

Other blurbs include the sensitive, modern cavemen peeved at the offending slogan while encountering Geico ads in everyday life, including the airport.

The caveman commercials were created through the Richmond, Va.-based Martin Agency. Jeff Daniel Phillips and Ben Weber play the cavemen in the Geico spots; no word if they'll make the transformation to the TV project.

Few TV shows have come out of the commercial sphere; more frequently, TV characters live on in 30-second spots long after their shows are canceled (think "ALF").

But it's not without precedence: The 2002 CBS comedy "Baby Bob" revolved around a talking baby character that was first seen in a series of dot.com ads. After the Eye canceled "Baby Bob," the character returned to its commercial roots, spending time as a pitchman (pitchbaby?) for Quizno's Subs.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)

Return to “Broadcast Media”