The Rob Lowe/Snow White duet... right here! - Courtesy of youtube.com

1927/28 through 1997
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I wanted to link to this site but this video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Watching this again, I have to say it is comforting to see the Academy invite some classic movie stars and include them in the production. I only wish they would still include these worthy participants over Jessica Beil and company.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

You get one more chance. Thanks to AMPAS pressure, the link below is now useless. But Oscar Watch has the Rob Lowe/Snow White production number on their front page. Just scroll down, and there it is.

There are a few cuts here and there, but there's much more footage this time around. You get to see Lily Tomlin's entrance, Dorothy Lamour looking ancient and Alice Faye nearly falling over. The visual and sound quality is far superior, too. Enjoy!

I'm a little surprised Oscar Watch has this on their front page considering the trouble they're in with AMPAS.

Happy Oscars tomorrow, everybody! Have fun! Or at least try to have fun, okay? Even if LMS wins?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sonic Youth wrote:
No one ever thought these production numbers timely. They were meant to be nostalgic.

Stylistically, it doesn't look like a replication of 1930's Hollywood at all. They were going for the Copacabana retro-chic that was considered contemporary in the 70s. I kept waiting for Peter Allen to hop on one of the tables.
Actaully I was referring to production numbers in general, but it is reminiscent of early Hollywood musicals before Busby Berkely re-invented them. Check out Madam Satan and Whooppe!
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Now if we could only find the 'I Want To Be An Oscar Winner' number from the same show (with Chad Lowe, Ricki Lake, Patrick Dempsey et al.).

Anyone know whatever happened to the actress who played Snow White? Run out of town? Died of embarassment? Married Rob Lowe?
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Oh, that was fantastic, Sonic!

And, seriously though, what better Disney character to pair up with a notorious 1989 Rob Lowe than a lowly maiden slutting it up with seven horny midgets?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

OK, I will admit, I did kind of love it.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

FilmFan720 wrote:OMG...that was even worse than I feared it would be.

Admit it! You loved it!

No one ever thought these production numbers timely. They were meant to be nostalgic.

Stylistically, it doesn't look like a replication of 1930's Hollywood at all. They were going for the Copacabana retro-chic that was considered contemporary in the 70s. I kept waiting for Peter Allen to hop on one of the tables.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

OMG...that was even worse than I feared it would be. I was all excited about Rob Lowe's return to The West Wing next week, but now fear I won't be able to watch it with a straight face.

Tripp
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

No one ever thought these production numbers timely. They were meant to be nostalgic. This one prety much ended the practice, though.

Rob Lowe's notoroius sex tape was made and circulated during the 1988 presidential campaign so he was quite notorious at the time. Pairing him with a Snow White that looked and sounded like a hooker palying dress-up was quite scandalous and producer Allen Carr was run out of town. I thought Disney successully sued to keep this clip from ever seeing the light of day. I guess the suit didn't cover internet rights as Al Gore hadn't invented it yet.

I don't know, I knid of prefer their cheesy production numbers to the oh-so-clever montages Gil Cates likes to come up with.
tootpadu
Graduate

Post by tootpadu »

Simply atrociuos ! So bad it is funny !

It seems to go on forever, although the youtube clip is edited some, before the Vincent Price introduction and at the end. I thought the audience's reaction was almost exstatic with lots of cheers throughout. How taste has changed ...
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OMG. Best birthday present ever.

Is it just me or are the celebs in the audience (Tom Hanks, Sigourney Weaver, etc.) look utterly embarrassed?
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

The quality is pretty bad and it takes ten to fifteen minutes to load... but here it is. The infamous opening number to the 1989 Academy Awards starring Rob Lowe and Snow White. Maybe you've only heard about this travesty through second-hand sources and feel cheated that you've missed out on this cultural touchstone. No more. The nightmare comes alive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9H3EMCjJGg

Is this a great internet or what?

A few observations:

1. I didn't realise Rob Lowe played such a major part in this musical number. I was under the impression that he got on the stage, sang the duet and took off. He really went out of his way to play the fool here.

2. Wow, but does it ever go on and on and on and...

3. Anyone else think this was the inspiration for Disney's Beauty and the Beast?

4. This was 1989. EIGHTY-NINE! Johnny Rotten's second band was already old hat by this time, and they STILL thought putting on these production numbers was timely?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”