Studio 60 on Sunset Strip

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Hopefully Sorkin can handle romance a little better than "you rock my socks" or whatever Harriet said to Matt a few episodes ago. The Danny/Jordan love story might develop into something good. But I do think the show has indeed found its footing, and Monday nights are finally good again!
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I saw it. I have to admit, the last four or five episodes have finally taken this show into a much better realm. It has finally found its themes, pacing and purpose, I feel. The New Orleans section, in particular, was touching. However, I feel that the show is going to become too romance-driven, as if Aaron Sorkin is making up for five years of West Wing where there was no romance, only hinted at romance.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Did anyone watch Monday's episode (The Christmas one). It was a spectacular episode.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Then the article I read last Tuesday had it wrong because it suggested that Studio 60 typically did better than Lights in that spot.

The previews of Lights turned me off immediately. It looked like another of those We Are Marshall kinds of shows which have no interest to me whatsoever. I like Studio 60 a decent bit, though not as much as I loved West Wing. I think what I like most about Studio 60 is Matt Perry and the comics on the show. I can do without everyone else.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

OscarGuy wrote:The funny part is they put Friday Night Lights into its slot and FNL actually did WORSE in the ratings.

That's not exactly accurate. Friday Night Lights did better than the past two or three airings of Studio 60. Studio 60 did have more individual households in its most recent airing than Friday Night Lights, but that only means that people are more likely to watch Studio 60 alone and watch Friday Night Lights in groups--in terms of actual numbers of viewers, Friday Night Lights won.

On a side note, Friday Night Lights is also worlds better than Sorkin's smug creation.

They have reported moved it to Wednesdays...it'll probably be put on right before Medium.

Putting it at 9 on Wednesdays would just put it in a position to be slaughtered by Criminal Minds and Lost (even though that'll be off for a few months after next week).
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It has NOT been officially cancelled. The funny part is they put Friday Night Lights into its slot and FNL actually did WORSE in the ratings. They have reported moved it to Wednesdays...it'll probably be put on right before Medium.
Wesley Lovell
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Has this been officially cancelled? What a shame, color me very disappointed. I felt it was starting to pick up a little, and most of the situations within the show were getting better. The subplot when D.B. and Matt Perry went to watch a promising black comic was handled with typical Sorkin sentimentalism, but it could have progressed to no end. Sometimes I hate TV and its ratings.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

anonymous wrote:
cam wrote:Taking joy in others' failures is called schadenfreude by the resourceful Germans.

Like watching a vegetarian being told she just ate chicken or watching a frat boy realize just what he put his dick in?
Hahaha. I love you guys.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

or perhaps board appropriate. watching actors not reach the ending of their Oscar speeches...
Wesley Lovell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

cam wrote:Taking joy in others' failures is called schadenfreude by the resourceful Germans.
Like watching a vegetarian being told she just ate chicken or watching a frat boy realize just what he put his dick in?
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Temporary schedule change.
Studio 60 is getting sacked by Friday Night Lights. At least temporarily.

Sources confirm that NBC is handing Studio 60's Monday/10 pm time-slot over to FNL on Oct. 30 for what I'm told is a one-night experiment. But, let's face it, if FNL performs better than Studio 60 — and that bar has been set pretty darn low — we may be looking at the birth of a Monday night football franchise on NBC.

All told, this is a great vote of confidence for FNL and an ominous bit of foreshadowing for Aaron Sorkin's struggling drama.

Go Friday Night Lights! I say this less out of dislike for Studio 60 than out of hope for possibly my favorite new show of the season.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Heroes makes Six Feet Under look unpretentious. If I continue watching, it's only because I derive pleasure from making fun of it.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

dws1982 wrote:NBC sure is taking a bath in this!

Studio 60 tumbles to new low

I know it's wrong to take joy in someone's failure, but I can't help myself from taking joy in this. If anyone deserves a crushing, humbling failure, Aaron Sorkin does.
Taking joy in others' failures is called schadenfreude by the resourceful Germans. Lovely word. It has no equivalent in English.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

'Studio 60' got off to a great start with an intriguing Network-like series premiere but I have to agree that there just doesn't seem to be a sense of urgency to any of the episodes, no over-arching plotline to get through the first season, no hook. Also, would the president of an entire network (Amanda Peet) care so much about a variety sketch show that airs once a week? That just seems unrealistic to me.

And as much as I love Sarah Paulson as an actress (loved her deliciously wicked turn on Deadwood), I keep thinking "she's a lesbian!" every single time I see her on-screen, flirting with a guy or whatever. I know it's wrong but, well, there you have it.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

NBC sure is taking a bath in this!

Studio 60 tumbles to new low

I know it's wrong to take joy in someone's failure, but I can't help myself from taking joy in this. If anyone deserves a crushing, humbling failure, Aaron Sorkin does.

Return to “Broadcast Media”