Documentary Feature Finalists

1998 through 2007
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I'm surprised Who Killed The Electric Car? wasn't nominated. Perhaps the oil company executives got to the top people at AMPAS the same way they got to the GM executives. :p
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

My advanced predictions (based on the subject matter and reviews):

Can Mr. Smith Get to Washington Anymore?
Deliver Us From Evil
An Inconvenient Truth
Shut Up and Sing
The War Tapes
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

What about So Goes the Nation, which played in theaters here (but which I missed) and which got some pretty good notices? Have no idea if it was Oscar-caliber, but just wondering about its omission. Does it have to do with the subject being seen as ancient history?
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Strange, I have no idea if 'An Inconvenient Truth' is going to be the hands-down winner or not even nominated. It's not a very good movie (a pretty darn entertaining power-point presentation) and I have to believe the doc branch is going to see that. They've made some dunderheaded decisions in the past, though.
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Why We Fight was last year, and declared ineligible then.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I have only seen two of the films, one of which deserves to make the final five, but I doubt it will: Sisters in Law.

As for the other, An Inconvenient Truth, which despite it's best intentions and matter of life and death subject matter is nothing but a filmed power-point presentation, will make the final five.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I've seen Deliver Us From Evil, An Inconvenient Truth, and Jesus Camp, and I hope all of them make the cut.

Off the top of my head, I can think of a couple highly publicized films that didn't make the list, as expected: 49 Up (darn!), Why We Fight (haven't seen it yet), and This Film is Not Yet Rated (an omission that doesn't bother me a bit).
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The list can be found on the main page of this site:

The Oscar Guy.

Please do not respost the list here as the link above will not change.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”