Reese and Ryan split

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Sonic Youth wrote:Now that I'm thinking about it, there are quite a few actresses who broke up with their spouse after winning their Oscar. Hilary Swank and Chad Lowe, Kim Basinger and Alec Baldwin, Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh, Geena Davis and Jeff Goldblum (were they married?).
Here are some other examples: Halle Berry broke up with Eric Bennet in 2002 after winning her Oscar. Julia Roberts broke up with Benjamin Bratt three months after winning. Gwyneth Paltrow ended her relation with Ben Affleck the same year she won for Shakespeare in Love.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

A few tidbits from newly-separated Ryan Phillippe's interview with Howard Stern from September 2002. Reese was reportedly so upset by the interview that she banned Phillippe from ever talking to the shock jock again.

- Ryan said he was proud of Reese's paycheck: "She's a chick making more than 99.9% of the men in Hollywood"
- there was no pre-nup between the couple, so he would get half no matter what
- the couple's daughter Ava had been sleeping in their bed every night and driving Ryan nuts
- Howard commented, "I don't know how the hell you're going to stay married."
- Ryan was attending therapy sessions for depression
- the pair didn't have sex until 5 weeks after they'd met
- Ryan discussed being hit on by gay casting directors
- Ryan admitted that he would tell daughter Ava that she was unplanned once she got older
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Anon wrote:Now that I'm thinking about it, there are quite a few actresses who broke up with their spouse after winning their Oscar. Hilary Swank and Chad Lowe, Kim Basinger and Alec Baldwin, Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh, Geena Davis and Jeff Goldblum (were they married?).

That´s an illness called "Post Oscar Winning Syndrome"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I thought the remark was hilarious.
Anon
Temp

Post by Anon »

Sonic Youth wrote:Now that I'm thinking about it, there are quite a few actresses who broke up with their spouse after winning their Oscar. Hilary Swank and Chad Lowe, Kim Basinger and Alec Baldwin, Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh, Geena Davis and Jeff Goldblum (were they married?).

Male ego or female pride?
I would say a little of both (though I distinctly remember during the Oscar telecast in 2002, Ryan making a flippant remark about Reese making tons more money than he did ... it was only a matter of time...)

Oscar curse, indeed!
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Now that I'm thinking about it, there are quite a few actresses who broke up with their spouse after winning their Oscar. Hilary Swank and Chad Lowe, Kim Basinger and Alec Baldwin, Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh, Geena Davis and Jeff Goldblum (were they married?).

Male ego or female pride?

(And thanks, Reese, for keeping my name out of the papers. :;): )
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Well, you can't keep two men in your bed. So, you may as well keep the one that displays his appreciation of your supreme greatness, and kick the other one out.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Is this shaping up to be a curse of the Oscar?
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Damien already posted this news under the thread "Don't read this, Damien".
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

I said "six months" after her Oscar win. So close....

AP -
Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe, who started the year on an Oscar-winning high, are ending it on a low note: The couple have separated.

"We are saddened to announce that Reese and Ryan have decided to formally separate," publicist Nanci Ryder said in a statement issued Monday on behalf of the couple.

"They remain committed to their family and we ask that you please respect their privacy and the safety of their children at this time," the brief statement concluded. Ryder said she could not elaborate on the split.

Witherspoon, 30, and Phillippe, 32, have two children, 7-year-old Ava and 3-year-old Deacon. The couple, who co-starred in the 1999 movie "Cruel Intentions," married that year.

In March, Witherspoon won a best-actress Academy Award for her role as June Carter Cash in 2005's "Walk the Line." Phillippe co-starred in the best-picture winner, "Crash," and is starring in
Clint Eastwood's latest film, the World War II drama "Flags of Our Fathers."

Return to “Other Film Discussions”