Inside Oscar 2

99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Damien: it is your STYLE to write as you do. Don't ever change! Another publisher?
Cam
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

rain Bard wrote:I know some of the amazon reviewers complained about the more opinionated commentary, but I think that's great. I don't think I refer back to it nearly as much as the original volume, but I think that's because I lived through the period myself. But if I ever start to forget why I hated, say, As Good As It Gets so much, I'll be very glad to be able to refer back to it.

The opinionated commentary is what made it a terrific read. Unlike most other inane sketches of previous Oscar seasons, Damien's book had wit, humor and a sly sensibility regarding it's self-important subject matter. The book managed to celebrate and undermine the ridiculousness of the Oscars all at once.

Rain Bard I agree with you about As Good As It Gets, and I'd like to add a few of my personal indulgences from the book: 1) how hilariously over the moon girls were for Leo DiCaprio in the inescapable juggernaut, Titanic 2) a subsequent comical image of Leo as a chihuahua trying to hump Kate and 3) a reminder that it was a few "thugs" on the Supreme Court - and not an electoral decision - that gave George W Bush his first win in 2000.

Good times.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

I bought it the first week of its release, and being unemployed at the time, I greedily devoured it in a day. I would assume that every member of this board did something similar, but I guess those numbers aren't enough to rock the publishing world.

I know some of the amazon reviewers complained about the more opinionated commentary, but I think that's great. I don't think I refer back to it nearly as much as the original volume, but I think that's because I lived through the period myself. But if I ever start to forget why I hated, say, As Good As It Gets so much, I'll be very glad to be able to refer back to it.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

cam wrote:PLEASE write Inside Oscar 3, Damien. We loved 1 and 2.
Thanks Cam! I'd love to write it, the problem is that not enough people showed any love for Inside 2, at least in terms of buying the book.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

PLEASE write Inside Oscar 3, Damien. We loved 1 and 2.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Thanks for the kind words, Akash, and welcome to the board -- the funnest place on the Internet.

As of now, there are no plans for an Inside Oscar 3.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

anonymous wrote:Are you gonna write an Inside Oscar 3, Damien?
I'd like to echo that question as well. Damien, I'm new to the board but your book is by far the best treatment I've ever read about any award show or similar American pop culture phenomenon.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Good luck in your task!
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Yes, I am, Hustler. It's a difficult task, however as I have about 40+ years to read through to collect the information I need.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

OscarGuy wrote:I'm also trying to include those who presented best picture nominees, introduced songs, etc...trying to be as thorough as possible.
Are you planning to include that information in your page?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Are you gonna write an Inside Oscar 3, Damien?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Cool. Now I have to get it so I can complete my presenters stuff...

You don't happen to still have a great deal of that data in an easy to pick-from content? I'm also trying to include those who presented best picture nominees, introduced songs, etc...trying to be as thorough as possible.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Yes, the last chapter in the book is 2000 (Gladiator, Crouching Tiger.)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Damien, or anyone else, can you tell me if Inside Oscar 2 contains information for the 73rd Academy Awards? I seem to have lost the tape and cannot find it...
Wesley Lovell

Return to “Other Film Discussions”