Not In Agreement - I beg to differ ...

1998 through 2007
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

VH, thanks for the heads-up. I'll keep that in mind. And I said that it was released in Japan 2004, so as to refer to the fact that it won a slew of awards at the Tokyo Film Festival.

Sabin, you say that "Flags" was dull; but I've heard some great things about it from certain critics whom I highly respect. True, many a critic make disagreeable decisions, but you can't completely throw them out. And as for it being 'dull', I suppose that's for each individual viewer to decide. So maybe it is slow and perhaps lacks excitement, but so did "Out of Africa", and look at everything it won.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

atomicage, I suppose some people will be impressed by 'Flags' but Lord knows I don't understand why. The film's just outright dull.
"How's the despair?"
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Hi atomicage! Welcome to UAADB!

I think you can actually comment on OscarGuy's choices in the "October Predictions" thread. Not necessary to open this new thread.
Anyways, wasn't Infernal Affairs from China/Hong Kong?
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

Let me first start off by saying that, having not seen "Dreamgirls", or "Babel", or even "Volver" yet, this is all speculation; but hey, come to think of it, that's what this entire website is based upon, no?

It seems that Oscar Guy has immediately leaned all the big awards in favor of the "girls". Best Picture was taken away "Flags of our Fathers", and given to "Dreamgirls". Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay were snatched from Scorsese and Monahan, and given to Condon.

I disa-freakin'-gree with that. "Flags of our Fathers" not only looks amazing, but it's win for Best Picture would signify Clint Eastwood's third Oscar as producer, as well as Paul Haggis's third time consecutively to pen a Best Picture winner (the last two being 2004's "Million Dollar Baby", and 2005's "Crash").

"The Departed", which I just saw this weekend, was possibly the best crime film I have EVER seen. It's art film feel and gorgeous blood soaked look make this a hands-down Scorsese win. Not to mention that Monahan took a great screenplay (that of "Infernal Affairs", which came out in Japan 2004) and added incredible depth to it; he'll win, in my opinion.

That's all I have to say. Oh, but before I go, let me state this: I have heard more about Forest Whitaker in "Last King of Scotland" than all four of Oscar Guy's other predictions combined. I feel like the buzz points to the victor.

Return to “The 8th Decade”