BAFTA predictions

1998 through 2007
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

To make his point he starts by safely predicting "the Battle of the Dames" -- Notes on a Scandal's Judi Dench vs. The Queen's Helen Mirren going head-to-head for the best actress crown.

Mirren is going to win that Battle comfortably.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Possibly, but I kind of doubt it. The supporting actor field is already quite crowded and Phillips is a rather obscure actor this side of the Atlantic. I checked him out on the imdb and although I've seen some of the things he's been in, I have no recollection of him whatsoever, nor I suspect have many of the Oscar voters. His potentital Oscar nomination will have to depend soley on his performance in Venus.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

I haven't seen Venus, but do you think Leslie Phillips has any chance of a supporting oscar nomination? The momentum for Peter O'Toole could, maybe, pull him in too. He's always been an actor of limited range, but he's such a likeable, larger-than-life personality that a late career oscar nomination would be a touching tip of the hat to him.
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Bamigboye likes Infamous whereas Wells don't. Hence, that "wait a minute" reaction of Wells's. Bamigboye also predicts that Bullock (non-Brit) will garner a supporting nom.
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Hmmm. wonder how much of this will spill over to the Oscars.

Per Jeffrey Wells:

It's been a strong year for British films and British performers. The proof, says Daily Mail columnist Baz Bamigboye, is that the 2007 BAFTA Awards, set for Sunday, 2.11, will have a larger-than-usual amount of actual competing Brits. To make his point he starts by safely predicting "the Battle of the Dames" -- Notes on a Scandal's Judi Dench vs. The Queen's Helen Mirren going head-to-head for the best actress crown. (Baz has seen Notes and says Dench "nails it.") Dench's costars in this film, Cate Blanchett and Bill Nighy (as Blanchett's husband) will also be up for best supporting BAFTAs, he says. Little Children 's Kate Winslet will also be in the running, he claims, for her role in Todd Fields< /strong>' Little Children. So will Toby Jones for his "cracking portrayal" of Truman Capote in Infamous...wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute. There's no heat for Jones on this side of the pond -- Bamigboye is saying he's a likely BAFTA nominee because he's British? he's also predicting that the Venus team -- costars Peter O'Toole (of course), Leslie Phillips (really?), Jodie Whittaker (doubtful) and a "peerless" Vanessa Redgrave (maybe) -- may be nominated for their work in Roger Michell 's smalllish low-budgeter. Bamigboye is further predicting that Jude Law and Martin Freeman will get BAFTA noms for their work in Breaking And Entering.

Return to “The 8th Decade”