Coming DVDs

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Correction to previous post.

Few_and_far_between_ which apparently can only be accessed through Amzon,com.uk is the website for ordering hard to find out-of-print titles like The Family Way and the 1960 League of Gentlemen. Findthatfilm is a reasonably priced UK retailer that carries somewhat less rare title like Johnny Got His Gun and teh 1981 True Confessions.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I didn't see that post. I bought Bigger Than Life from DaaVeeDee, which I first discovered through Amazon.com. Unfortunately when I played it on my region free DVD player, it froze at the last chapter. Quite annoying, but I don't want to go through the hastle of returning it and maybe not getting a replacement. I've yet to try it on my other region free player.

Strange thing about DVD freezes. One episode of Footballers Wives - Season 2 (region 1) freezes on the region free player but plays on my Phillips, while another episode on the same disc freezes on the Phillips but plays on the region free. Weird.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

This post was orginally asking Magilla where he purchased Bigger Than Life from.

I then found it on Amazon France and have ordered it.

I can't wait to see the film again. I have only seen the film once about 10 years ago at the cinema in a ratty print.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I started out by going to Amazon.com and then Amzon.com/uk. As I've said before, Amazon.com/uk won't ship anything they stock themselves to my address. Some DVDs such as The Prisoner of Shark Island DVD have a disclaimer on them, "only for sale in England and Ireland", which apparently Amzon,com/uk and some of their retailers abide by. However, there are a number of retailers, who sell through Amazon,com/uk who will ship internationally.

I've found these to be the best:

DaaVeeDee.com - a New Jersey retailer that has everything in stock it lists on its website. Funny thing is when you order through Amazon.com they ship priority mail in the U.S., which arrives in 2-3 days. When you order directly from them, they send via media mail which takes 2-3 weeks. International shipping should not be a problem. They will ship 6-99 DVDs anywhere in the world for under $17.

SelectCheaper.com - a British retailer that also has everything in stock they list on their website. They also live up to their name, under-selling rivals on all products available with no shipping charges. The odd thing about them is that they package each DVD separately and send you four confirming e-mails for each DVD. Day 1 they tell you they've received your order. Day two they tell you they've mailed the DVD. Day 3 they tell you the local post office has recived the DVD. Day 4 they tell you the package has left the local post office. My first order from them was for 2 DVDs. My second was for 11. So far I've gotten 44 e-mails on those 11 items. At first I found it a little annoying. Now I find it funny, even endearing.

Movie Mail - this was one of the two sites recommended by Eric. They list a lot of titles you don't find elsewhere. The problem is they do not have all of them in stock. Once they get them, though, delivery is fast - only 3 days.

FindThatFilm.com - they stock really hard to find titles. Thy're a little pricey, but if you're looking for an out-of-print title you can't find anywhere else (The Family Way, the 1960 League of Gentlemen), they're worth it.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:I am buying DVDs manufactured mostly in Great Britain and Australia
Which websites do you buy these DVDs from?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

As I read that first sentence, I thought you were advocating turning on the subtitles because of the heavy Australian accents of some of the actors!

Speaking of subtitles, now that I have a region-free DVD player, I am buying DVDs manufactured mostly in Great Britain and Australia, but I have a few Hollywood films that have only been put out on DVDs from Spain and one from Germany. The ones from Spain (Cluny Brown, Bigger Than Life) allow you to play them in Spanish or English, with or without the subtitles.

How strange it is, though, to play the German produced DVD of The African Queen, which allows you to play it only in either German or English with German subtitles which can't be turned off.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

For those of you planning to get The Sundowners DVD: Put on the close captions. I actually worked on it. (I proof-read subtitles for DVD's and we got this project a couple of weeks ago).
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Finally! I've been waiting for Home From the Hill and The Sundowners to be released on DVD for eight years! Angel Face has been available in a crappy TV to tape to DVD version. The Good Guys and the Bad Guys is a curious choice, a western that got lost in the avalanche of revisionist westerns in 1969 - The Wild Bunch, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, True Grit, Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here. Macao and The Yakuza are good films.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Yep. Already disciovered this. My Phillips freezes certain DVDs which my Sony plays just fine and my new Coby has already frozen one title which my Phillps plays just fine.

As far as government bans go, they could make it illegal to "fix" a player as easily as they could ban the outright sale. Doesn;t seem to be happening any time soon, though.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:Always good to have a back-up. You never know when they're going to pass a law to make the sale of region free players illegal so I thought I should take advantage of the price while I can.

Though I primarily watch movies in my media room, I entertain mostly in my living room so having one in both rooms makes sense.

Doesn't matter if any Government tries to ban the sale of multi zone players. You will always be able to pay a video repair person to "fix" a machine for a price.

Another good reason to have two players is that sometimes a dsic won't play in a particular machine for some odd reason.

For example one of my machines won't play Claude Chabrol's The Butcher, whilst the other won't play Three Extremes but I have no problems when I play the discs in the other machine.

I lend my parents my DVD's to watch. Their machine won't play Downfall (won't bring up the subtitles), Samaratain Girl or Nanncy McPhee, so I just lend them one of my DVD players.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Always good to have a back-up. You never know when they're going to pass a law to make the sale of region free players illegal so I thought I should take advantage of the price while I can.

Though I primarily watch movies in my media room, I entertain mostly in my living room so having one in both rooms makes sense.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:I was so impressed that I ordered another one, which should be here tomorrow.
Why do you need two? In case one breaks down? The price is good though!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Penelope, I got my Coby DVD Recorder from RegionCodeFreeDVD.com in Elk Grove, Illinois for $199.00. I ordered it via FedEx two day delivery, It was sent out the next day and I had in three days after ordering. I was so impressed that I ordered another one, which should be here tomorrow. Supposedly thi sparticular recorder regualry sells for $499 but is on sale this week only. Funny, but that was the same sale they had three weeks ago when I ordered the first one!

Sons and Lovers, Two Rode Together and Viva Zapata! were the first region free DVDs I ordered and played. They look great!

OKri, the problem with adjusting existing players to be region free is that it's very complicated and you could end up destroying the damn thing so unless you're very sure of waht you're doing I wouldn;t attempt it.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't know, Eric, maybe Amazon - UK just doesn't like California addresses. I'll check out Benson's World as well.

I was successful in obtaining several titles from Amazon's retailers.

Reza, the title I was searching for was The Sun Also Rises, not a great movie but one I've had a certain fondness for since seeing it as a child. It's been available in any home video format in the U.S. It was just released on August 26th and is available from the retailers Precious Doll mentioned.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Um, I've had no trouble getting amazon.co.uk to deliver to me in Minnesota.

Another very good retailer is Benson's World.

Return to “DVD Discussions”