Coming DVDs

Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Before you make the purchase, Penelope, I'd find out if there were any cracks to make your DVD player a region free one first.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I finally stepped up to a region free DVD player.

I would like to do the same; aside from the Carry On... films (not all of which are available in Region 1), there are other titles only found in other Regions that I'd like to get my hands on. I'm clueless, where can I purchase a region-free DVD player?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Four re-issues and the OK American Madness while we wait in vain for The Miracle Woman and The Bitter Tea of General Yen.

Ironically these two are available on Region 2 along with some other Stanwyck classics. However I am not prepared to buy the package just for The Miracle Woman given that I have some of the others already.

I finally stepped up to a region free DVD player. The problem now is obtaining software. I found an on-line source in New York that sells Region 2 and 4 DVDs at very reasonable prices. The problem is their inventory is limited. I thought Amazon.com- uk woudl be a resource but they will not deliver outside of Britain although some of their retailers will. Ironically the title I was searching for is available at Amazon.com-uk and six of their retailers, but none of them will ship outside of the u.k. and Europe. Ah, well.
Magilla,

Which title are you searching for?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Thanks, Precious. I checked out the websites for Send It & Movie Mail. I can see where I could go broke in no time catching up!

Maybe Amazon - UK just won't ship DVDs to the U.S. They list rates for international shipping but when I click on any DVD title it adds to the shopping basket but when I go to checkout I get a message saying unable to deliver to the indicated address.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Magilla,

That's odd about Amazon UK because I buy from them all the time and I don't live in the U.K.

Other good U.K. retailers are Send It & Movie Mail. There's also HMV UK.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Four re-issues and the OK American Madness while we wait in vain for The Miracle Woman and The Bitter Tea of General Yen.

Ironically these two are available on Region 2 along with some other Stanwyck classics. However I am not prepared to buy the package just for The Miracle Woman given that I have some of the others already.
I finally stepped up to a region free DVD player. The problem now is obtaining software. I found an on-line source in New York that sells Region 2 and 4 DVDs at very reasonable prices. The problem is their inventory is limited. I thought Amazon.com- uk woudl be a resource but they will not deliver outside of Britain although some of their retailers will. Ironically the title I was searching for is available at Amazon.com-uk and six of their retailers, but none of them will ship outside of the u.k. and Europe. Ah, well.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Yes, they are busy restoring the 1929 version which was released on laser disc in the early 90s with most of the soundtrack missing. It has apparently been found!
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I heard a rumor on another forum that sometime next year, Warner was going to issue a box set of all 3 Show Boat films (1929, 1936, 1951)...anybody else know anything about this?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

To be sold as an exlusive at Best Buy from Sep 19th is Universal's new Classic Sci-Fi Collection to include The Incredible Shrinking Man, Tarantuala, The Mole People, The Monolith Monsters and Monster on the Campus. Retail price is $29.95. I don't know what's so classic about the last two titles, but The Incredible Shrinking Man is a genuine classic whose DVD release is long overdue.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

A bootleg is simply a copy of an original DVD. In other words, a PIRATED disc.

I wouldn't BUY a DVD of that price unless I know it's an original copy. I would never add a pirated disc onto my collection. I'd borrow it and view it, sure but I never add it to my collection. (All DVD's in my collection are genuine DVD's).

The thing is, Kurosawa movies and other foreign/classic/art house films need people to buy them so they can make more of them. If I buy a pirated copy, then I would be doing the producers of foreign/classic/art house films a great disservice for not patronizing their business and the production of foreign/classic/art house films would be greatly reduced and thus reducing the chance for more people to view them.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

anonymous wrote:
Reza wrote:I picked up most of these titles here for about $1.75 each.

They have to be bootleg copies (or very used copies).

What exactly is a ''bootleg copy''?

Whatever they are, these DVDs I find here have excellent picture and sound quality.

I suppose I'm supporting piracy when I buy a film here. But please don't tell me that you would pass on the chance to pay $1.75 for Kurosawa's High and Low and instead buy it off Amazon for $37?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Reza wrote:I picked up most of these titles here for about $1.75 each.
They have to be bootleg copies (or very used copies).
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I picked up most of these titles here for about $1.75 each.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Damien wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:The character as written may have been more historically accurate but Reza is correct, Brando's mincing fop characterization is what is insufferable. If you really want accuracy, though, go to the 1984 version called simply The Bounty with Mel Gibson as Christian and Anthony Hopkins as Captain Bligh.

Talk about insufferable: A movie featuring the Wooden Anti-Semite With The Stubby Little Legs as Christian and the World's Worst Actor as Bligh.
I've seen this version as well. It is not nearly as good as the first two. The first was a rousing adventure, while the second was a nicely-photographed epic drama. Both had some wonderful production values, but the third version just never gets you involved. The only review I can recall that was truly positive was Roger Ebert's.

However, I take exception to the idea that Anthony Hopkins is the "world's worst actor." He has been absolutely amazing in some of his performances, from Hannibal Lecter to Presidents Nixon and Adams, and his repressed butler in The Remains of the Day.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Caught! LMAO!

Return to “DVD Discussions”