Directing/Writing Comedy Series

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Sabin wrote:Yes.
One of the writers nominated for Arrested Development wrote for Full House.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Yes.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

dws1982 wrote:If they like the show this much, why didn't they nominate it for Comedy Series?

Malcolm in the Middle won both Writing and Directing it's first year out and it wasn't nommed for Outstanding Comedy until the following year (where it won in those categories again and lost to Sex and the City).

Can you believe the guy who won the Writing Emmy was also responsible for Yes, Dear?
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Sniffle, one last hurrah for Arrested Development was not to be.

I like My Name is Earl, and its wins weren't completely undeserving, although Sabin's right, most of the other choices are better.

What's really strange is the inconsistency dws points out. Could you imagine a situation at the Oscars where a film wins Director & Screenplay but isn't nominated for Best Picture? Has that EVER happened? Just one more thing about the Emmys that makes no sense . . .
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

How fitting is it that Comedy Series Writing is the only category where I've seen every nominee. Those specific episodes. Where am I headed in life?

'My Name is Earl' is overrated, and the acclaimed pilot is no different. Easily the least impressive choice. 'The Office' has done better than "The Christmas Party" (I hate schmoopy Jim & Pam; are subtlety and comedy anathema?), but that would've been acceptable. I don't need to tell you all whom I was rooting for.

Great speech.
"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

If they like the show this much, why didn't they nominate it for Comedy Series? I didn't think the Pilot was that good though, although some of the episodes after that were pretty good. But then after about episode twelve, I realized that every episode was the same thing over and over again, and what seemed funny and likeable turned annoying and shrill. So I quit watching, and didn't feel like I missed anything.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

If only it had been nominated for Comedy Series...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Directing: My Name Is Earl - "Pilot"

Writing: My Name Is Earl - "Pilot"
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Broadcast Media”