Have We Lost Our Sonic Youth?

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

criddic3 wrote:
After his rants on Criddic, I would be sadddened if he had been THAT offended by it.

I, too, miss having Sonic Youth around. The conversations/debates/misunderstandings were all in good fun (that's true in general, by the way).
Well, then I obviously am doing something wrong.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

After his rants on Criddic, I would be sadddened if he had been THAT offended by it.

I, too, miss having Sonic Youth around. The conversations/debates/misunderstandings were all in good fun (that's true in general, by the way).
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Sonic, glad to see you back with us; wish you had said hello in St. Pete, woulda been nice to meet you, but it's all good!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I'm glad to see you're alive, Sonic Youth. :)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

But get registered to vote NOW so that you dont' have the Pub(e)s trying to toss out your registration.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Good to have you back. And look on the bright side, as a citizen of Pennsylvania, you get to vote against Rick Santorum.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Big Magilla wrote:I thought that he was either a) traveling; b) burned out or c) pissed off over the negative reaction to his Superman Returns posts. If it's the latter, hope he gets over it soon.

All of the above. As annoying as the Superman discussion was, it was magnified by everything else that was happening in our lives. And I decided "I've been here for years. I think it's time for a short vackay."

I was the opposite of depressed of the prospects of living in The Netherlands. I was exuberant. The two months we lived there were wonderful. But that didn't pan out, thanks to a petty, malicious boss who didn't appreciate my wife's ascendency in the company.

In eighteen months, we've lived in New Haven Connecticut; The Netherlands; St. Petersburg, Florida; and we've finally settled in Altoona, Pennsylvania, which looks to be our permanent home. Which area sounds the least inspiring and interesting to you? You're right. And I didn't want to mention we were in St. Petersburg because I was very close to Penelope, and I didn't want to meet Penelope until we were settled. And we never were truly settled, so that was that.

Tee, I think you'll see that post at The Envelope is the only thing I posted there for a long period of time. This Mel Gibson thing is getting twice, if not three times, the amount of coverage it deserves. He's a bigot and an anti-semite, what a surprise. Big deal. James Woods and John Malkovich make equally disgusting comments about Arabs and Iraqis and hardly anyone blinks. But it's very amusing for a day or so and I impulse-posted it there.

Nice to see you guys again. But I'm gonna lay low for another month or so, out of necessity. I'm much too busy.

I'll be back.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I hope it's not the Superman Returns thing. It was a might silly the way all of us were acting. After his rants on Criddic, I would be sadddened if he had been THAT offended by it.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I thought that he was either a) traveling; b) burned out or c) pissed off over the negative reaction to his Superman Returns posts. If it's the latter, hope he gets over it soon.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Wasn't there some mystery of Sonic being depressed because he was in a foreign country courtesy of his wife?

Or maybe I got it all wrong. However, I recall him being very mysterious about that foreign country! All very cloak and dagger!

Anyway I hope he is feeling better now.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sonic hasn't been posting around here recently, and I've been assuming he was otherwise occupied. Now, however, I see that he started a Mel Gibson thread the other day at the envelope -- a topic he'd have been all over (with us) at any normal time. Did I miss something? Has Sonic left us for some reason? If not, I hope he'll check in at some point.

Actually, it seems we've been losing too many valued posters, lately. Granted it's the deep off-season, but we've heard little from Sabin, Pamela-Marie has disappeared, MovieWes took off, Penelope is now incommunicado for a while...those who remain are of course solid (and apprecited), but I hate to see so many distinctive contributors slip away.

Return to “General Off-Topic”