Coming DVDs

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of three Jesse James titles for 5th September 2006. Part of their “Cinema Classics Collection” Jesse James (1939), Return of Frank James and The True Story of Jesse James are being given the DVD treatment to coincide with the theatrical release of The Assassination of Jesse James.

Priced at $14.98 SRP each individual details follow…

Jesse James (1939) - The legend of Jesse James stars Tyrone Power as the most infamous bandit in the history of the West. Jesse James was a young Missouri farmer forced outside the law after ruthless agents for the transcontinental railroad kill his ailing mother and steal his family's land. Together with his brother Frank (Henry Fonda), Jesse forms a gang of masked outlaws to strike back at the railroad company and the banks that have joined forces to swindle the oppressed farmers.

Features include:
1.37:1 Full Frame
English Stereo
English & Spanish Mono
Spanish subtitles
Movietone News: "Hollywood Spotlight"
Movietone News: "Jesse James at the Roxy"
Theatrical Trailer

The Return of Frank James - Fabled Missouri outlaw Frank James, brother of the legendary Jesse James straps on his six-shooters and rides out for revenge in director Fritz Lang's The Return of Frank James, the thrilling 1940 sequel to the Western classic Jesse James. From the green Missouri hills to the rugged Rockies their steps are dogged by Frank James, riding hard on the vengeance trail in the wild and woolly era when there was no law for folks except at the end of a gun.

Features include:
English Stereo
French & Spanish Mono
Spanish subtitles

The True Story of Jesse James - Legendary fifties director Nicholas Ray (Rebel Without A Cause) retells the Jesse James saga, starring Robert Wagner as the legendary bank robber. As Jesse James attempts to evade the law, those who know him best -- his brother Frank (Jeffrey Hunter), wife (Hope Lange) and mother (Agnes Moorehead) -- ponder the question, "What turned this simple farmboy to a life of lawlessness?" And as Jesse continues his ride into notoriety, the key events in his life are scrutinized in a desperate attempt to close in on him for good.

Features include:
English Stereo
French & Spanish Mono
Spanish subtitles
Theatrical Trailer
Movietone News: "Westerner Claims He Is Jesse James!"
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I'll be voting for Carny & All Fall Down myself......

Warner Home Video and Amazon.com have announced DVD Decision™ 2006 – 30 Movies in 30 Days, a joint initiative offering movie fans the opportunity to vote online for the WHV library titles they want released on DVD.

WHV and Amazon.com have jointly nominated 30 films from Warner Bros.’ vast library (the world’s largest) that have never before been seen on DVD. Visitors to the Amazon.com web site will be able to vote for their favourite titles from June 1 through June 30. At the end of the voting period, the ten movies with the largest number of votes will be selected as the winners.

On August 8, the two companies will announce the winning titles and make available for pre-order each of the ten winners. Five of the winning titles will make their DVD debut on December 5, 2006. The remaining five will be released on January 2, 2007. All of the films will be re-mastered and will contain added bonus features where available. Each title will sell for $19.97 SRP.

Throughout the month of June, each movie will be spotlighted at Amazon.com, with links to its trailer (as available), synopsis, customer feedback and other information. Consumers can vote immediately or anytime throughout the voting period allowing for time to review the trailers and film information throughout the entire promotion.

Voters can access the DVD Decision 2006 voting page at www.amazon.com/dvddecision2006

Titles selected for “DVD Decision™ 2006” are Al Capone, Gymkata, The Hand ,Operation Crossbow, Up Periscope, Cimarron, The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing, Angels in the Outfield, Blume in Love, Get to Know Your Rabbit, Not With My Wife You Don’t, You’re A Big Boy Now, April in Paris, Best Foot Forward, The Eddie Cantor Story, Presenting Lilly Mars, All Fall Down, The Arrangement, Band of Angels, Bhowani Junction, Carny, The Illustrated Man, Looker, Madame Curie, Made in Heaven, Mike’s Murder, One Trick Pony, Sphinx, Sunrise at Campobello and There Was a Crooked Man.

The 30 film candidates will be divided into three categories: action/adventure, comedy/musicals and drama. Spanning more than 40 years of Hollywood filmmaking, featured stars include Lucille Ball, Warren Beatty, Ralph Bellamy, Doris Day, Kirk Douglas, Jodie Foster, Clark Gable, Ava Gardner, Greer Garson, Sidney Poitier, Burt Reynolds, Rod Steiger and a host of other luminaries.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of three titles in their Fox Film Noir range for 6th June 2006. Priced at $14.98 SRP each are…

Boomerang - Elia Kazan directs this true story of a prosecutor's fight to prove the innocence of a man accused of a notorious murder.
1.33:1 Full Frame
English Stereo & Mono
Spanish subtitles
Audio Commentary by film historians Alain Silver and Jame Ursini
Poster Gallery
Unit Photography Gallery
Theatrical Trailer

House of Strangers - Edward G. Robinson's ill-gotten gains embroil his entire family in scandal and murder. Directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz.
English Stereo & Mono
Spanish subtitles
Audio Commentary with Film Author & Historian Foster Hirsch
Poster Gallery
Production Stills Gallery
Unit Photography Gallery
Theatrical Trailer

I Wake Up Screaming - A great surprise ending marks this film noir classic, filled with taut suspense. Starring Betty Grable in a change-of-pace role.
English Stereo & Mono
Spanish subtitles
Audio Commentary with Film Noir Historian Eddie Muller
"Daddy" Deleted scene
Poster Gallery
Production Stills Gallery
Unit Photography Gallery
Theatrical Trailer
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Yeah, I meant Harvey Milk would've done the grounding.

The Cockettes is a pretty bouyant doc (with cameo "appearances," as it were -- i.e. archive photo/video -- of both Divine and Sylvester), and I'd imagine it would be a pretty kicky evening capper.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

the Cockettes had the 1:20, 5, and 9PM showings and Harvey Milk was 3:15 and 7PM.

I haven't seen the Cockettes myself but assume that's not the one you're referring to. Apparantly one of the co-directors was on hand for the 9PM show. Probably not one of the more festive in-person events ever held.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

rain Bard wrote:the Times of Harvey Milk and the Cockettes
Man, which of those two was screened first? (Both very good, but one has the power to ruin an evening.)
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Last year's series also included Bullitt on a bill with Point Blank. Might as well fill in the rest of the blanks (as you can see, it was a much bigger series last year):
Psyche-Out (no co-feature)
San Francisco and Follow the Fleet
Joy Luck Club and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
Amarilly of Clothes-Line Alley with shorts In the Park and Fatty and Mabel at the World's Fair
Out of the Past and Sudden Fear
Crumb and Lenny Bruce: Performance Film
Harold and Maude and Play it Again, Sam
Outside the Law (no co-feature)
Dream with the Fishes with Dopamine
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) with It Came From Beneath the Sea
the Times of Harvey Milk and the Cockettes
Dark Passage and the Lady From Shanghai
Greed and Old San Francisco
Dirty Harry and the Lineup
Janis and the Last Waltz

As for your James Shigeta question, the SF Asian American Film Festival just showed three of his films as part of a tribute. the Crimson Kimono and Bridge to the Sun were shown in 35mm and Walk Like a Dragon in 16mm. I unfortunately was unable to catch any of the screenings myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of the 35mm films was made available in preparation for a future DVD release.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Then, of course, there is Bullitt.

I Remember Mama is a one-of-a-kind treasure. The film version with Irene Dunne is quite wonderful and plays on TCM every Mother's Day. It's also on DVD.

Mama, which ran from 1949 to 1957, was one of the earliest TV shows I remember watching. Peggy Wood, known mostly today as the Mother Abbess in The Sound of Music, was the best actress in early TV. It was quite a shock for me as a child to learn that her Norweigan accent was not real. She was, in fact, a major operatta star in the 20s and a character actress on screen in the 30s and 40s. Her largest screen role came later as Naomi in 1960's The Story of Ruth which was just recently released on DVD. With practically everything else available on DVD it would be nice to have a retrospective of Mama, a wonderful show of a by-gone era.

Time After Time is the film I saw in the theatre when I first thought of moving to San Francisco. It is a wonderful time capsule of the late 70s. It''s also available on DVD.

Flower Drum Song, for some reason, is not, but you can see its sars, Nancy Kwan and James Shigeta, re-united on stage in San Francisco sometime in April in Love Letters.

Speaking of missing films on DVD, what ever happened is Shigeta's Bridge to the Sun oppositie Carroll Baker? This film, which occasionally shows up on TCM, has never been released in any home video format.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

This is actually the second year that the Balboa has hosted a series like this; last year Experiment in Terror played with the Sniper, the Conversation with Petulia, Vertigo with Woman on the Run, and both the 1931 and 1941 versions of the Maltese Falcon played together.

Perhaps Time After Time, Flower Drum Song and I Remember Mama will appear in a third annual edition. I hope so; I've never seen any of those three (though I remember my mama reading I Remember Mama to me and my siblings when we were kids.)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

--Big Magilla wrote:An interesting group, although I can think of few more quintesessental San Francisco films: Time After Time, The Conversation, Flower Drum Song, Vertigo, I Remember Mama and The Maltese Falcon.

And Experiment In Terror with its climax at Candlestick.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1269706250
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

rain Bard wrote:If you want to see the film on or just before the centennial, come over to the Balboa Theatre in San Francisco which is showing it on a double bill with After the Thin Man April 16-18 as a kickoff to a San Francisco-set film series. Other double bills in the series: Ladies they Talk About with Fog Over Frisco, the Birds with Birdman of Alcatraz, Pal Joey with Barbary Coast, DOA with the Bigamist, and What's Up, Doc? with Take the Money and Run.
An interesting group, although I can think of few more quintesessental San Francisco films: Time After Time, The Conversation, Flower Drum Song, Vertigo, I Remember Mama and The Maltese Falcon.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Big Magilla wrote:I have no idea why Warners missed the opportunity to release San Francisco in conjunction with the 100th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake and the 70th anniverary of the film's release in April, but I'm glad it's finally coming to DVD.

In the age of Amazon pre-orders and Netflix/Greencine queues, as long as the title is announced in time for such an anniversary they still can get a lot of mileage out of it.

If you want to see the film on or just before the centennial, come over to the Balboa Theatre in San Francisco which is showing it on a double bill with After the Thin Man April 16-18 as a kickoff to a San Francisco-set film series. Other double bills in the series: Ladies they Talk About with Fog Over Frisco, the Birds with Birdman of Alcatraz, Pal Joey with Barbary Coast, DOA with the Bigamist, and What's Up, Doc? with Take the Money and Run.

Oh, and Precious Doll, I think you must mean the Vietnam plantation film Red Dust.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:but where is To Each His Own, and for that matter The Heiress, both made by Paramount, but owned now by Universal.

Much to my surprise The Heiress has been released by an independent company on Region 2 (UK).

I only stumbled across this by accident the other day whilst I was ordering some DVDs on Amazon.com.uk and The Heiress came up as a recommendation. Needless to say I added it to my order.

Five Fingers, The Snake Pitt, Johnny Guitar, Pretty Posion are some of the other gems on Region 2 (UK), all with fine prints that do them justice.

I am awaiting Warners Region 1 to release a Jean Harlow box set, which will hopefully include Red Heat, The Red Headed Woman, Hold That Man & The Girl From Missouri.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll, thank you for keeping up this thread.

I have no idea why Warners missed the opportunity to release San Francisco in conjunction with the 100th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake and the 70th anniverary of the film's release in April, but I'm glad it's finally coming to DVD.

I had hoped the inclusion of The Wings of Eagles in the John Ford-John Wayne package would mean that we are at long last going to get the missing footage of Maureen O'Hara's alcholic breakdown excised at the request of the Sprig family at the time of the film's release, but it appears that footage is lost forever.

I'm happy to see Parmount has picked up the Republic catalogue and will be releasing the tantalizing Olivia de Havilland-Lew Ayres film noir, The Dark Mirror featuring two of de Havilland's three great 1946 performances, but where is To Each His Own, and for that matter The Heiress, both made by Paramount, but owned now by Universal. With Universal being into all those star packagings, perhaps we can look forward to a de Havilland package that will include those two films as well as Hold Back the Dawn.

Speaking of Warners and de Havilland, I can't understand why they haven't releasesd Light in the Piazza as a tie-in to last year's hit Broadway musical version.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Paramount Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of four film noir titles for 16th May 2006. Priced at $14.99 SRP each are…

The Dark Mirror - Identical twin sisters enter a deadly game of wits and deception when they both fall for the same psychiatrist.

Secret Beyond The Door - When whirlwind courtship leads to marriage a young woman learns her husband is suspected of killing his first wife.

Letter From An Unknown Woman - A concert pianist’s self-obsession blinds him to the love of a woman whom he fails to notice until it is too late.

Body & Soul - A prizefighter, desperate for a title shot, falls in with corrupt syndicate but is given one last chance at redemption.

All are barebones releases, presenting the films in Full Screen with English Mono sound and optional English subtitles.

Also released on 16th May 2006 is the Marilyn Monroe / Marx Brothers comedy Love Happy. This also carries a $14.99 SRP and offers the same technical specs as the film noir titles.

Return to “DVD Discussions”