The American Idol Thread

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Dan, you beat me to it. I was going to post an article about her interview.

ANother False Christian distorting Jesus's preschings of love.

Instead of worrying about how other people physically express love, the fat slob should concentrate on an exercise and diet regiment. In other words, honey, stop worrying about my "life style" and start concentrating on yours, which obviously is dominated ny a fat-filled unhealthy diet. Anyway, it doesn't much matter what she says -- she'll be dead by age 35.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Mandisa is too a homophobe. Here's a snippet from an interview she just did with the Advocate:

Would you be comfortable performing or singing at a gay event?

I would not, no.

Would it conflict with your religious beliefs?

Based on what I believe, I'm not an advocate for [being gay], so it's nothing I would take part in.

The rest of the interview is here
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Ace should go, not Mandisa... maybe the thought of Mandisa being a homophobe made her gay fans switch their loyalty to Ace...

Paris in the bottom 3? puhleezzz! & Kellie is sooooooo bland...

looks like the final three might be Taylor, Chris & Kellie eventually... with only Katharine having the ability to cause an upset on those three... most likely she'll switch place with her best buddy Kellie...
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Damien wrote:
anonymous wrote: Mandisa was voted off this week which is unfortunate because she is one of this season's best singers.

Ha! The homophobe was voted off. That's beautiful -- call it Brokeback's revenge.

Hey Mandisa, where's your God now?
I don't think she was homophobic. Here's an excerpt from her post-elimination interview with MTV:
Q: Another theory is that your comments before singing "Praise You" ("To everybody that wants to be free! Your addiction, your lifestyle or situation may be big, but God is bigger") were interpreted as homophobic.

A: I just heard about that, and it broke my heart because I really do try to live my life according to the value system that you treat others the way you want to be treated. I absolutely hate nobody.

Q: Can you clarify what you meant by lifestyle?

A: I've given in to every food indulgence I have ever had, so that was just me saying that God is freeing me of [that particular lifestyle].

Q: Another thing that added to those rumors was that you listed Beth Moore as one of your heroes, and as a writer and lecturer, she seems to believe gays need to reform their ways. Were you aware of that?

A: I was not aware, but I respect her so much. She has put into my life like no one else. I have the utmost respect for her and she's been a valuable resource for me.

Is it possible to be an openly devout Christian and NOT be a homophobe? I say yes.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

anonymous wrote: Mandisa was voted off this week which is unfortunate because she is one of this season's best singers.

Ha! The homophobe was voted off. That's beautiful -- call it Brokeback's revenge.

Hey Mandisa, where's your God now?
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Horrible visions are dancing through my head. I already mentioned Taylor singing "We will, we will rock you! Whoo, hoo!" He can then throw in one of his wonderful dance moves.

What about Paris prancing around the stage singing "Another One Bites The Dust"? Or Kellie warbling "We Are The Champions", scowling at the camera and raising her fists at the appropriate lines?

I was never a big fan of Queen, except for their first two albums (unfortunately, those albums barely made the charts while most of their subsequent albums went multi-platinum. shows how much I know). The first two albums have some pretty good 70's hard rock made special with Queen's unique sound and Freddie Mercury's unique voice. Hopefully, Chris will take something from one of those albums rather than the far more popular subsequent albums. My suggestion would be "Liar" from the first album. Chris and the band could do something with that song.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Eric wrote:
Eric wrote:Gays are probably Mandisa's most significant voting bloc. Or were, anyway. Now she's got the Josh Groban demo locked up for as long as the white guys are splitting votes.

Oops. My bad. The white guys aren't splitting votes at all.

I was skeptical of Bo Bice last season, but I wouldn't have ever gone so far as to say I hated him. I hate Taylor.
You quoted yourself. Does that count as intellectual masturbation?
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Mandisa, Paris and Elliot were the bottom three, and for Country week too. All I know is that they're the three non-white, non-minorities of the bunch.

I flipped it on two nights ago and saw the first singer singing "Take Me Home Country Road", with all the personality and half the talent of a studio backup singer. I didn't see the rest, but the bottom three must really have been atrocious... unless.......
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

That actually surprises me but then again, some of the show's best singers are voted out before their time.

Who was in the bottom three?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Damien wrote:I hate to ask this, but who lost?
Mandisa was voted off this week which is unfortunate because she is one of this season's best singers.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I hate to ask this, but who lost?
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

So America voted the Jew and two blacks into the bottom three for Country & Western week?

Yee-haw, pardners!!
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Taylor will probably do "Don't Stop Me Now."
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

As bad as Idol is this season it has just gotten a lot less interesting.

I try to imagine the people who will vote over and over every week for their favorite Idol performer. I have no idea if this is true, but I picture girls between the ages of 10 and 15. They are more likely to vote for someone they see as one of their own (Kellie, Paris...but also Lisa) or a guy they think is cute (Ace, maybe Bucky or Elliot). They could not care less about Mandisa's vocal and performing talent.

I wonder what Queen song Mandisa would have chosen for next week. I can hear her belting out a version of "Spread Your Wings" that would approach the beauty of the original. Now, I am hearing Taylor doing a version of "We Will Rock You" that will have me either laughing in derision or reaching for the remote to turn the volume way down.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Eric wrote:Gays are probably Mandisa's most significant voting bloc. Or were, anyway. Now she's got the Josh Groban demo locked up for as long as the white guys are splitting votes.
Oops. My bad. The white guys aren't splitting votes at all.

I was skeptical of Bo Bice last season, but I wouldn't have ever gone so far as to say I hated him. I hate Taylor.

Return to “Broadcast Media”