The American Idol Thread

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Country Night. Another bad night but a little better than the last one, that's for sure.

01. Katharine ("Bringing Out The Elvis") - The McPheever is back! Not her best performance but a definite bounce back to what she does best after a disappointing performance last week. (B+)

02. Chris ("Making Memories of Us") - This should silence Chris's naysayers who say he's a one-trick pony. It's really refreshing to see this side of Chris. Very well done. (B+)

03. Kellie ("Fancy") - Ouch. This is sooooooooooooo painful. Enjoy it while it lasts, Kellie. I think she's hit her peak here. It is her performance so far (even better than her "Walkin' After Midnight" performance). No, honey, I still don't buy the act but at least your performance wasn't embarrassing. (B+)

04. Bucky ("Best I Ever Had") - This is the best performance he's ever had. Bucky managed to give a performance that's actually good instead of merely okay. Then again, it's still nothing to crow about. (B+)

05. Elliott ("If Tomorrow Never Comes") - This is definitely not his performance but still a pretty good one. He can do a lot better than this though. (B)

06. Mandisa ("Any Man of Mine") - Well, it was better than last week's but it's still quite disappointing coming from her. Come on, Mandisa. (B-)

07. Taylor ("Take Me Home, Country Road") - His worst Idol performance so far. Very average, boring and forgettable. (C+)

08. Paris ("How Do I Live") - Also her weakest performance to date. Started out awful and ended pretty good but overall mediocre. (C+)

09. Ace ("I Wanna Cry") - This one is the inverse of Paris. It started out pretty good and ended awful with those darn falsettos. Memo to Ace: Only a handful of male singers can pull off falsettos and you are not one of them. On the bright side, it is an improvement over his terrible "Drops of Jupiter" performance. But then again, that performance was so awful, anything could've been better. ©

WHO SHOULD GO HOME: Ace
WHO WILL GO HOME: Ace
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Damien wrote:I wanna take a 4 by 5 and smash it against her dumb ass face.
You're not the only one. Click here.
And I'm someone who loves everyone and everything.

Except Republicans!
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

I wonder how many of the people who make a point of voting every week for their favorite Idol contestant will ever be aware that there is a negative article about Mandisa on Advocate.com. or know or even care who Beth Moore is.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Gays are probably Mandisa's most significant voting bloc. Or were, anyway. Now she's got the Josh Groban demo locked up for as long as the white guys are splitting votes.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Mandisa becomes a soldier on the wrong side of the culture war: check it out here.

I wonder if she'll lose more votes or gain more votes as a result of this? Seems like a lot of yahoos watch this show, as evidenced by the ridiculous Kellie Pickler being voted through week after week.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Damien wrote:And I'm someone who loves everyone and everything.
LMAO.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I've only seen the show a couple times this season, but most of this group seem to be less than mediocrities. The only memorable, distinctive contestants are Elliot, who has the potential of being a first class jazz vocalist (although he may not have the looks to win this thing) and Mandisa (though, do we really need another overweight, gospel-based singer? I mean don't we already have Jennifer Holliday and Lillias White?)

The others are pathetic, and I'd like to get rid of all of them in one fell swoop. But that Pickler person is particularly irritating -- I wanna take a 4 by 5 and smash it against her dumb ass face. And I'm someone who loves everyone and everything.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Seriously, Paris should win this... not Chris, not Katharine, not Taylor, not Mandisa... but Paris & Paris only...

she's like the whole package combined - looks (except for a few pimples), young age (she has a long career ahead with opportunities to sell more records), top-notch vocals (she can definitely sing) & great moves (she's not a wooden & boring performer; somehow she always manages to inject some sort of liveliness to her performances)...

and with those Beyonce moves that she did, i say, "You go, girl!"...
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Finally saw the complete show. Here are my rankings for this pathetic week:

01. Taylor ("Trouble") - It is a great vocal performance but far from Taylor's best but with the off-night that most of the people here seem to be having, this is one of the best of the night. (B+)

02. Elliott ("I Don't Wanna Be") - Bo rocked with this song last year. Elliott made a very good choice to tackling the song in a totally different way with mixed results. That said, it was a good vocal but the dancing is a bit of a turn-off. (B+)

03. Chris ("What If") - I never liked this song. Chris did a very good job with it but he didn't do anything fresh with it that would get me to like it. This is his worst performance to date but it's still pretty good. (B)

04 Paris ("Work It Out") - Again, another excellent vocal by Paris but I do have to echo Simon's statement of her coming off as a little girl playing dress up as Beyonce. That said, I thought it was still a fun performance. (B)

05. Katharine ("The Voice Within") - Okay now this is where it gets ugly. The VERY shaky first 10 or so seconds ruins what could've been a good (but still not great) performance. A huge disappointment of a performance coming from Katharine. (C+)

06. Mandisa ("Wanna Praise You") - I always thought that Mandisa + gospel music = HEAVEN. But this performance of this particular gospel music = PURGATORY. By far her worst performance to date. Again, a very big disappointment considering her outstanding performances in the pas. (C+)

07. Bucky ("Real Good Man") - Good news: It was better than last week's. Bad news: Not that much better than all his other performances. Bucky is an okay performer but he still has me going, "How can he still be there?" (C+)

08. Lisa ("Because of You") - Now here it's where it gets REALLY ugly. Lisa, Lisa, Lisa. There's a very thin line between a gutsy choice and a stupid choice and she crossed it. Granted, she showed off a little bit more of that great vocal in her young frame but it was still a VERY mediocre performance. This could be her last week. ©

09. Kellie ("Suds in a Bucket") - I don't know if it's my bias against the country genre or against her but this performance pretty much encapsulates everything I hate about both. I expect this kind of performance at a really cheesy rodeo show, not American Idol. Is anyone out there half expecting a cow to run out on stage and knock her off her ass? (D-)

10. Ace ("Drops of Jupiter") - Oh God. I don't think his good looks can make up for this really, really, really awful performance. Almost as awful as Kellie's "Blame it on the Sun" fiasco. There's good cheese and there's bad cheese and this is the kind of cheese that'll get your stomach pumped. (F)

WHO SHOULD GO HOME: Ace (or Kellie)
WHO WILL GO HOME: Lisa
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

What's everyone's favorite performances of the season so far?

01. Paris Bennett - "Fever"
02. Mandisa - "I Don't Hurt Anymore"
03. Chris Daughtry - "Higher Ground"
04. Mandisa - "I'm Every Woman"
05. Paris Bennett - "Midnight Train to Georgia"
06. Katharine McPhee - "Until You Come Back To Me"
07. Taylor Hicks - "Takin' It To the Streets"
08. Elliott Yamin - "Moody's Mood for Love"
09. Chris Daughtry - "I Walk the Line"
10. Will Makar - "Lady"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I, for one, will miss Kevin. I enjoyed what he brought to the show. He may not be the best singer but he's definitely more fun to watch than those snooze fests that are Bucky, Lisa and Ace and far less irritating than Kellie "Whatsa ballsy?" Pickler. I could stand seeing him for a few more weeks.

I guess it is for the best he get voted off now because if he outlasts a contestant perceived as more talented than him, he is going to get some undeserved villification. He also went out on his best night with class and dignity.

His interview with Entertainment Weekly.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

During "Lost" commercials, I was able to flip back to the results show and I was surprised, but happily surprised, that Kevin was voted out. He's really not cut out for this competition. Sure, I would have preferred Bucky to go, but Kevin was next on my list of weakest links.

The look on Paris' face, though, was quite sad...hopefully they'll eliminate Bucky next week and likely Lisa the next and that will pave way for an elimination of Kellie Pickler and hopefully we'll have a decent remaining group.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Great show overall. No one completely bombed.

01. Paris ("Fever") - Outstanding performance! When I first heard her a clip of her a capella rendition of this song during the Hollywood rounds, I wasn't a fan. But she really knocked it out of the park in this one. (A+)

02. Mandisa ("I Don't Hurt Anymore") - Another knock-out performance from her. Wow! I had a tough time deciding which one will be number one her or Paris. (A+)

03. Chris ("I Walk the Line") - Great song choice. Great performance. There's a controversy going on in the Idol boards that they pimped this as a unique rock twist on the song when the band Live has already done a rock cover of this song. Doesn't matter, it was still great. A quintessential Daughtry perf. (A)

04. Katharine ("Come Rain or Come Shine") - Again, flawless, amazing vocal and performance. Though I still sense that distance between me and her that prevents me from really loving her rather than just admiring and respecting her. (A)

05. Elliott ("Teach Me Tonight") - Another great vocal performance from Elliott. Not his best but I feel that he still lacks that certain something I can't put my words to. Flawless vocals though. (A-)

06. Taylor ("Not Fade Away") - Kinda disappointing coming from Taylor. But as a PERFORMANCE, it's pretty darn good. His joy of singing and performing is still very much evident and very infectious. (B+)

07. Kevin ("When I Fall In Love") - This is his best performance yet. It's a touching, endearing, heartfelt vocally good performance. It's STILL not up to par with the ones who are above him but it shows that he definitely has potential. Maybe not in this contest but in the future. (B+)

08. Kellie ("Walking After Midnight") - I grudgingly say that this is her best performance yet. Above average and her charm and charisma shines through (I still think it's fake) and the choice of song was well within her range. Bah! I hate it when my least favorite contestant gives a good performance. (B+)

09. Ace ("In the Still of the Night") - His best performance since "Father Figure". I'm not a fan of his bad habit of going into falsettos and the performance is still pretty uneven. Mostly good but parts are merely okay. (B)

10. Lisa ("Why Do Fools Fall In Love?") - I love this song and Lisa didn't exactly butcher it but I don't think this was the best song choice for her. It's kinda messy, uneven and wholly unimpressive. (C+)

11. Bucky ("Oh Boy") - Oh boy. Not a bad performance but far, far from impressive. Very average, very forgettable, kinda blah. ©

WHO SHOULD GO HOME: Bucky
WHO WILL GO HOME: Bucky
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

anonymous wrote:Flawless vocals and a great performance but the one problem I've been having with Katharine is that I can't seem to endear myself to her like I'm disconnected. I think I'm not alone in this and this quality will probably be her downfall.
I can agree with that. To me, there's something about her that's not very likeable, and despite the way she tries to come across as a friendly, sweet girl, she seems almost cold and calculating to me.

Return to “Broadcast Media”