Tom Cruise is a real jerk

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Hey, Tom, nice job on name

BY ETHAN SACKS
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tom Cruise may be an expert on Scientology, but he's not an expert on his infant daughter's name.

Cruise and his fiancée Katie Holmes named the girl Suri, which Cruise's publicist explained means princess in Hebrew and red rose in Persian or Farsi. Wrong on both counts.

"I think it is a mistake," said Prof. Hooshang Amirahmadi, director of the Center for Middle Eastern Studies at Rutgers University.

"In Farsi, it means red, like a fiery color, but there is no such a thing as a 'suri' that means 'red rose,' I can promise you that," said Amirahmadi. He added that the word also can mean "a party or celebration."

In Israel, there was similar confusion.

"Nobody here has ever really heard of it," an announcer on Israel's Army Radio said yesterday.

Avshalom Kor, an expert on the intricacies of the Hebrew language, told Army Radio there is a tenuous connection. Kor said Suri is a nickname for Sarah as pronounced by Jews from Central Europe.

In ancient Hebrew, Sarah is the feminine form of the word for lord. "We seem to have learned a new Hebrew word - and from Tom Cruise, no less," said a Channel 2 TV anchorman.

In India, Suri is more likely to be a boy's name than a girl's, according to several baby name Internet sites. It comes from the Sanskrit word for "sun" and is an epithet for the Hindu god Krishna.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Big Magilla wrote:Ironically, Brooke Shields had a baby girl this morning as well.
As a matter of fact, she did. Congratulations, Brooke!

Brooke Shields Has Another Baby Girl

Apr 18, 10:45 PM (ET)

LOS ANGELES (AP) - It's a girl - again - for Brooke Shields. The actress gave birth Tuesday to Grier Hammond Henchy, who weighed 7 pounds, spokeswoman Pat Kingsley said.

Shields, 40, and husband Chris Henchy, a 42-year-old television writer and producer, also have a daughter, Rowan, who turns 3 next month. They have been married since 2001.

The birth came the same day that Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes welcomed the arrival of daughter Suri.

Shields and Cruise had a public spat last year after the "Mission: Impossible" star criticized the actress for taking antidepressants after the birth of her first child.

Appearing on NBC's "Today" show, Cruise said there was no such thing as chemical imbalances that needed to be corrected with drugs, and that depression could be treated with exercise and vitamins.

Shields called the remarks "a disservice to mothers everywhere" and said the drugs helped her survive feelings of hopelessness after the birth in 2003.

"I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Mr. Cruise has never suffered from postpartum depression," she wrote in an op-ed piece in The New York Times last July.

Shields said that at the lowest point of her depression she considered swallowing pills or jumping out a window. A doctor attributed her feelings to a plunge in estrogen and progesterone levels and prescribed Paxil.

Shields chronicled her experiences in "Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression."

Shields, who began modeling as a toddler, has appeared in films including "Pretty Baby,""The Blue Lagoon" and "Endless Love." Her TV sitcom, "Suddenly Susan," ran from 1996-2000.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Ironically, Brooke Shields had a baby girl this morning as well.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Touchdown.

(Sorry Damien. We posted nearly simultaneously.)

Cruise, Holmes Have Baby Girl Named Suri

Apr 18, 7:51 PM (ET)

By SANDY COHEN

LOS ANGELES (AP) - The Tomkitten has arrived. Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes, the high-profile pair dubbed TomKat by the media, had a baby girl Tuesday, said Cruise spokesman Arnold Robinson. The baby, named Suri, weighed 7 pounds, 7 ounces and measured 20 inches long, he said.

"Both mother and daughter are doing well," Robinson said in a prepared statement.

The name Suri has its origins in Hebrew, meaning "princess," or in Persian, meaning "red rose," the statement said.

The baby was born in Los Angeles but the exact location was not disclosed.

It's the first child for Holmes, 27. Cruise, 43, has an adopted daughter and son from his marriage to Nicole Kidman.

Details surrounding the birth, which was planned under the tenets of the Church of Scientology as a silent procedure, weren't disclosed.

Outside the Beverly Hills home where Cruise and Holmes live, about a dozen reporters and photographers stood by. Security officers inside the compound videotaped the journalists.

A security guard at the gate - which was shrouded in black to prevent anyone from seeing in - refused to release any information. A few cars did arrive and were allowed into the estate. A police motorcycle officer stopped by around 4 p.m. and sat watching the goings-on.

The patrolman, who identified himself as Officer Chase, said he was just making a routine check, since activity around the area had been heightened for some time. He asked if the baby had been born, was told yes, and drove off.

It was just about a year ago that Cruise's romance with Holmes became a world sensation.

Cruise hopped up and down on a couch during an interview with Oprah Winfrey as he professed his love.

"I can't be cool. I can't be laid-back," Cruise declared at the time. "Something happened and I want to celebrate it."

The antics were widely mocked but Cruise was unfazed and continued to avow his affection for Holmes.

He and Holmes, a star of TV's "Dawson's Creek," had been first photographed together in Rome in April 2005.

She had previously been engaged to actor Chris Klein; Cruise had been married to Mimi Rogers as well as Kidman, and had dated Penelope Cruz for several years.

In June, Cruise announced to a Paris press conference that he had proposed to Holmes atop the Eiffel Tower.

"Today is a magnificent day for me, I'm engaged to a magnificent woman," he said.

No wedding date has been disclosed.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Cruise plays down 'placenta' plan

Most of you probably have heard about this by now. If you haven't, it's too disgusting to repeat. The point is, Tom Cruise was joking when he made these statements.

We all know he's crazy, but now we have an indication of how crazy he really is. No matter how preposterous the statement may have been, everyone - including the media - was ready to believe it. He is so far removed from reality that the suggestion that he would... um, you know... is not out of the realm of possibility, no matter how gross such a thing is.

It's also an indication that the general public can't watch a Tom Cruise film again with being reminded of what a weird, embarrassing spectacle he's become.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE? TOM CRUISE PLANS ON EATING PLACENTA

BEIJING, April 18 (Xinhuanet)-- Tom Cruise boasted about eating fiancèe Katie Holmes's placenta when baby Cruise is born, Cruise said in an interview.

The Mission: Impossible III actor, 43, said: "I thought that would be good. Very nutritious. I am gonna eat the cord and the placenta right there"

But when it was pointed out it would be a very big meal, he retorted: "OK. Maybe I won't."

Though some claim that eating afterbirth may help prevent post-partum depression, it won't help the mom if dad eats it.

Placentophagia, eating the placenta, is practised in many cultures, but it is less common in western society. In 1998 a British TV chef fried a placenta and served it to his guests.

The baby, rumored to be a girl, is due any day and the couple plan to wed in the summer. They have been engaged since last June.

With the little one expected soon, speculations surrounding Katie Holmes' childbirth have been flying high.

Cruise and Holmes are professed followers of the Church of Scientology, which stipulates "silent birth".

Last week Cruise told US chat show host Diane Sawyer that 27-year-old Holmes, in the final stages of her pregnancy with their first child, will practice "quiet birth."

Cruise explained that "quiet birth," which aims to minimize talk and other noise inside the delivery room," is "basically just respecting the mother."

"She does what she's gotta do," he explained, addressing speculation that such a practice would deny her pain medication. "If she needs medicine, she needs medicine."

According to the tenets of Scientology, words spoken during birth and other painful times may traumatize the infant.

"It's all about no talking, no unnecessary talking during the delivery -- and that way the mother is calm and she's got a lot of work to do, but there's no problem with her making noise. It's just no spoken words," said Pat Felske, a spokesperson for the Church of Scientology of Toronto, who has had four children with the silent birth method.

As medical staff are also instructed not to speak, they must communicate using gestures and hand signals.Enditem
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Aceisgreat
Temp

Post by Aceisgreat »

anonymous wrote:In the interview, the actor claims he can get someone off heroin in three days through Scientology's detox programs.

That must be a joke. It must be.
"I can't stand a naked light bulb any more than I can a rude remark or a vulgar action." -- Blanche DuBois
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

He's at it again.

From the IMdb:

Cruise Attacks Psychiatric Drugs Again

Tom Cruise is attacking those who prescribe psychiatric drugs again in the May issue of men's style magazine GQ. The Mission: Impossible III actor, who embarked on an anti-drug tirade in TV interviews last summer on behalf of his Scientology beliefs, has launched a fresh attack on psychiatry, calling for prescription pill poppers to think carefully about the harms they're doing to their bodies. He tells the magazine, "I've always found the 'if it makes me feel better, it's OK' rationale a little suspect. I think it's appalling that people have to live a life of drug addiction when I have personally helped people get off drugs." In the interview, the actor claims he can get someone off heroin in three days through Scientology's detox programs.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Here's the infamous South Park clip of "Trapped in the Closet".
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It seems this one just won;t go away.

"The Closet," the Controversy--and Cruise By Joal Ryan
Fri Mar 17, 8:49 PM ET

Wednesday night on South Park, Robert Redford got zinged, and Chef urged one and all to "suck on my chocolate salty balls."

The controversial part was what didn't air: A closet.

"Trapped in the Closet," a South Park episode featuring a literally closeted Tom Cruise and a primer on Scientology, was abruptly pulled from Comedy Central's schedule, and replaced with a nearly eight-year-old chestnut spoofing the Sundance Film Festival.

The network wouldn't confirm or comment Friday on why "Trapped in the Closet" was shelved in favor of the 1998 episode "Chef's Chocolate Salty Balls."

Cruise's rep, however, did comment: "This has nothing to do with us," publicist Arnold Robinson said Friday.

Cruise, a Scientologist who has staunchly defended his religion and an avowed heterosexual who has successfully sued people and publications that have suggested he is in the metaphorical closet, was pegged as the culprit in the South Park switcheroo in a report Thursday on HollywoodInterrupted.com.

The blog reported that the star "threatened" to sit out the publicity cycle for Mission: Impossible 3--presumably meaning no interviews, no photo-ops, no Oprah couch--if "Trapped in a Closet" aired again on Comedy Central.

M:I-3 is due to be released in May by Paramount, which is the corporate sibling of Comedy Central, which is, like Paramount, owned by Viacom.

Specifically responding to Cruise's reputed corporate power play, rep Robinson said: "That is not true."

This is not the first time Cruise has been linked to the closing of "Closet." In January, Britain's Sun reported the episode would "never" air in the United Kingdom because TV executives there were "scared [Cruise] will sue." (The episode apparently aired without incident in Canada a few days later.)

This also isn't the first time Comedy Central has been accused of caving. Last December, a Catholic rights' group took credit for the network pulling reruns of South Park's Virgin Mary-skewering ninth season finale, "Bloody Mary."

South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone, meanwhile, have weighed in on the latest controversy--with fighting words.

"So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun!" the self-described "servants of the dark lord Xenu" said in a statement Thursday that does not mention Cruise. "Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies."

Earlier this week, Parker and Stone publicly parted ways with Isaac Hayes, the longtime voice of Chef, after the "Shaft" legend complained South Park had gone too far in satirizing religion. The duo said Hayes, a Scientologist, never complained about the show until it took on Scientologists.

"Trapped in the Closet" first aired last Nov. 16. In it, a cartoon version of Cruise enters a closet, and doesn't come out for quite a while. Cruise is eventually joined in the closet by fellow Scientologist John Travolta and R&B singer R. Kelly, who wrote the soap opera of a song that shares its name with the episode title.

Also in the episode, South Park tyke Stan is recruited to join the Church of Scientology, and, in the process, gets an earful about "frozen alien bodies," Hawaiian volcanoes and the "evil lord Xenu."

"Guys, you got it [Scientology] all wrong," Hayes said he told Parker and Stone in a January interview with The A.V. Club. "We're not like that."

Comedy Central would not say if "Trapped in the Closet" will reair at a later date, or if it will be included in South Park's syndication package.

Video clips from the episode, including the bits with Cruise and the closet, and Stan and the Scientologists, can be found on the Comedy Central Website.

In a bit of timing that is said to be coincidental and not at all related to the "Closet" controversy, South Park begins its 10th season next Wednesday.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

A gossip blog called Hollywood Interrupted is reporting the following:

Sources from inside Paramount and South Park Studios report that parent company Viacom pulled last night's scheduled repeat of the high-rated "Trapped in the Closet" episode after the humorless Scientologist movie star Tom Cruise threatened to cancel all publicity for [Paramount's] Mission Impossible:3 if Comedy Central aired the episode that satirizes Scientology and mocks his sexuality again.

Not only is this the first time that the South Park creators have been officially censored in their ten hit seasons with Comedy Central, Viacom officials also reportedly ordered Matt Stone and Trey Parker not to discuss the reason why their episode was cancelled.

The South Park boys are said to be angry, but will probably get revenge with the manner in which they deal with Scientologist Isaac Hayes' departure from the show.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Pamela-Marie
Graduate

Post by Pamela-Marie »

Sonic Youth wrote:Pamela's right. Tom Cruise, Holmes Deny Breakup Report

What, you don't trust my word alone?! :)

And if you think women across the globe (not to mention some men as well) wouldn't be severely shocked to learn Cruise is gay, well ... the world will never know.
-- "Say I was Tom Cruise, where would you seat me?"
-- "In acting class."
Gilmore Girls, 10/28/03
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

The magazine still hasn't retracted their story.

http://lifeandstylemag.hollywood.com/
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

It's quickly reaching the point where Tom Boy intentionally coming out would be an excercise in redundancy.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Pamela's right. Tom Cruise, Holmes Deny Breakup Report

Oh, well. I have a belly full of Valentine's Day sangria and an arsenal of jokes funnier than the lame Dick Cheney jokes, but they're of no use now.

But let me extend the warmest Valentine's Day wishes to the beautiful couple, Tom and Kaytie. Happy Valentine's Day, dahlinks!

And a happy Valentine's Day to Dick and Lynn Cheney, too. What a wonderful evening they must be having, the two of them.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “The People”