Challengers reviews

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Challengers reviews

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
Zendaya is fine but it's never explained why her character is so cranky, or as one of the twins said in their YouTube review, so mean.
Haha, I'm glad you said this because the biggest issue I have with the film is Zendaya although I think her role in the film is interesting and ultimately sort of key to one element of the film that is successful.

Zendaya is fine in this film. She's playing someone who comes across as more of an unknowable idea than a person. At this point, that's true for Zendaya as well. Like Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson, she's TOTALLY in her ingenue phase. I think that's okay because that's basically what draws Josh O'Connor and Mike Faist to her in the first place. But I'll be frank: she seems like a kid throughout the whole film. I get that she's 27 but she still seems like a Disney kid. It's hard to take her character's span of age seriously. Her indignation still seems like a tantrum. It's also one of the reasons why it's more of a flirty than sexy film.

However, I think that's one of the reasons why for me the film was such a farce. They all just seem like a bunch of kids who are hung up on each other. But also... Zendaya is kind of unimportant in this film. She's really just someone who gets in between these two guys and I was incredibly impressed at the specific behavior that Luca Guadignino has them depict on-screen, some of which is wildly "un-masculine." There is a scene late in the film between Mike Faist and Zendaya that is so vulnerable and tells you everything about how he loves her and how it makes her feel.

I think the best shot for Challengers at the Oscars is if it's a big hit. Right now, it's looking at a weekend gross of $15m so it needs to be a sleeper and its B+ Cinemascore doesn't indicate that's going to happen. On a $55m budget, it already looks pretty shaky. I'm sure there are a lot of reasons why it's not doing that well but one of them might be simple. Has a tennis movie ever done well?

I think it's best chances are for Best Original Screenplay and Best Film Editing. If it's a barren year, it's prospects could extend to Zendaya (because she has to get her first nomination for something).
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Saw it due to its hype as the best reviewed film of the year so far, but it's not an Oscar movie.

It basically has no plot but is an excellent character study and a showcase for both O'Connor and Faist, especially Faist who unlike O'Connor, has had mostly under-the-radar roles except for his Riff in Spielberg's West Side Story remake.

Zendaya is fine but it's never explained why her character is so cranky, or as one of the twins said in their YouTube review, so mean.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sabin your review makes it sound very interesting.

Am glad Josh O'Connor is going places. He has been consistently good over the years - brilliant in God's Own Country, Hope Gap, on tv in The Durrells and especially his Emmy-winning Prince Charles in The Crown.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

If Challengers wasn't thrillingly directed, it would still be a good movie. It's a strong script with a compelling love triangle. All three characters are equally important (not always the case in love triangles). And it's very well-plotted. I either never knew where it was going or it got there in fresh, unexpected ways. But it also happens to be thrillingly directed, and not just in the exuberant tennis scenes. It's full of aroma, atmosphere, and detail. It’s such a movie. The two lead male performances are just fantastic. Josh O'Connor (whom I apparently have only seen in Florence Foster Jenkins) is the charismatic standout, but Mike Faist takes the far trickier part and makes him sympathetic. I would argue that it's more of a flirty film than a sexy one, and that's a little disappointing because they never quite registered as full human beings. Although I think it’s conducive with the film’s central conceit that these two are boys (which Guadagnino has a lot of knowing fun with).

Not a great film but definitely a terrific entertainment.

Only problems I had with it are a few soundtrack choices were overwhelming and a handful of bum moments in the third act.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Can't wait. There's already a strong crop of films I need to catch up on released this year.

Oscar twitter and reddit is obsessed with Mickey 17 getting an Oscar qualifying release this December. They're so certain obsessed with the idea of releasing movies by the end of the year to get Oscar traction. Challengers didn't play that game. They're opening in spring (where increasingly, a lot of interesting fare shows up) and now it gets to try to be remembered by the end of the year vs. clamoring (to no avail) in crowded spaces for air like All of Us Strangers and The Iron Claw. Now it's on more or less the Past Lives track of trying to get remembered by the end of the year, which is a significantly better track to be on. Past Lives may have only picked up two nominations this year but any other year (2022, 2021) I bet it would've done much better.
"How's the despair?"
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

It’s definitely been on my radar, but I’m still a bit surprised by the raves. Guadagnino, who I’ve been following since the sumptuous I Am Love, is a bit hit and miss. He definitely has talent, and works like a madman (he has a second film, Queer, based on the William S. Burroughs novel, coming out this year). Challengers has the feel of a big hit. Besides looking sexy and well made, it features Zendaya, who I predict will be at the pinnacle of superstardom for many years to come. It’s great to see continued success for musical theatre nerd Mike Faist. I’m looking forward to this one.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Challengers reviews

Post by Mister Tee »

Okay, given the involvement of Luca Guadagnino, I should have had my eye on this a bit more. But it's a tennis movie, and I never anticipated reviews this good.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235870986/

https://variety.com/2024/film/reviews/c ... 235967433/

https://www.indiewire.com/criticism/mov ... 234973713/

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/challe ... c-reviews/

Return to “2024”