R.I.P. Barbara Rush

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Okri
Tenured

Re: R.I.P. Barbara Rush

Post by Okri »

Riffing off of Tee's story

A Woman of Independent Means ran for only 10 performances. It was written by Elizabeth Forsythe Hailey, who was married to Olivier Hailey. Oliver Hailey was also a Broadway playwright - he'd had three plays on Broadway. His three produced plays combined runs.... 3 performances. He had more luck off Broadway and with TV, admittedly, but gosh.

re: George Hearn - it wasn't immediately prior to La Cage, but the previous year he was in A Doll's Life, which also only ran three performances. Got him a Tony nomination.

I don't get how shows close after only one performance (or even 10-20), though. I always feel a little hurt on their behalf.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I happened to be in my early awareness of movies during the brief period Barbara Rush was considered a star -- she'd co-starred in The Young Philadelphians, and was worthy of being Frank Sinatra's love interest in Come Blow Your Horn (which I saw at Radio City Music Hall). Her time in the limelight didn't last long. A decade later, when Warren Beatty in Shampoo mentions she's one of his regular customers, it's a sign he's not a major player in the hair business. But she kept working, well into retirement years, something which I will always admire.

A poignant moment I observed back in the 1980s. Rush did a one-woman show on Broadway called A Woman of Independent Means, which got pretty awful reviews (it only lasted a bit over a week). She was eating at Barrymore's, a theatre district bar at which I was a regular. George Hearn was also a regular, and I saw him come by her table. I think he must have known her slightly. George was, at that moment, flying high: triumphantly playing the lead in La Cage, for which he would soon win a Tony. Not a few actors, seeing Rush, would have avoided her, not wanting to let her failure-cooties rub off. But George couldn't have been more gracious, spending 10 minutes or more chatting with her before going to his own table. I imagine he was quite familiar with the ups and downs of show biz, and wasn't inclined to ostracize someone for not being as lucky as he.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:58 am Star of It Came from Outer Space?
Yes she was a lovely presence in the films you mention.

That obituary headline is to attract readers - the Space film title. You think people today remember any of the films you have mentioned. Nobody does sadly. Ask any of the younger Board members here - apart from the Sirk, and maybe The Young Lions, don't think anyone has seen the films you mention.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Star of It Came from Outer Space?

I prefer to remember her for Magnificent Obsession, Bigger Than Life, No Down Payment, The Young Philadelphians, Hombre, and even Can't Stop the Music, and for her many guest star appearances in TV, especially a 1987 episode of Murder, She Wrote.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

R.I.P. Barbara Rush

Post by Reza »

Barbara Rush, Star of ‘It Came From Outer Space’ and ‘Peyton Place,’ Dies at 97

by Pat Saperstein (Variety) 3/31/2024

Barbara Rush, who won a Golden Globe for most promising newcomer in “It Came From Outer Space” and went on to appear in “Peyton Place” and many other movies and TV shows, died Sunday. Her daughter, Fox News Channel correspondent Claudia Cowan, confirmed her death to Fox News Digital.

“My wonderful mother passed away peacefully at 5:28 this evening. I was with her this morning and know she was waiting for me to return home safely to transition,” Cowan told Fox. “It’s fitting she chose to leave on Easter as it was one of her favorite holidays and now, of course, Easter will have a deeper significance for me and my family.”

Rush appeared in soap operas including “All My Children” and on “7th Heaven,” and appeared in many films - "Magnificent Obsession", "Bigger Than Life", "The Young Lions", “The Young Philadelphians,” "The Bramble Bush", "Strangers When We Meet", "Come Blow Your Horn", “Robin and the 7 Hoods." Her co-stars included Rock Hudson, James Mason, Dean Martin, Paul Newman, Richard Burton, Kirk Douglas and Frank Sinatra.

Born in Denver, Rush graduated from the U. of California, Santa Barbara, and then trained at the Pasadena Playhouse.After signing with Paramount Pictures, she made her movie debut with “The Goldbergs” and then starred in the sci-fi film “When Worlds Collide.”

Her Golden Globe came for another sci-fi role, as the fiancée of an amateur astronomer who makes contact with aliens in 1954’s “It Came From Outer Space.”

Among her TV roles were Nora Clavicle in the “Batman” TV series and The Bionic Woman’s mother. Other TV guest spots included “Maude,” “Cannon,” “Streets of San Francisco,” “Fantasy Island,” “Love Boat” and “Murder, She Wrote.” Rush made an appearance in the 1980 disco movie “Can’t Stop the Music,” then took on more TV roles in the soap opera “Flamingo Road.”

She also appeared onstage throughout her career and in 1989, starred in a national tour of “Steel Magnolias.”

Married three times, her husbands included actor Jeffrey Hunter and publicist Warren Cowan.

She is survived by two children.

Return to “The People”