R.I.P. Joe Flaherty

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Re: R.I.P. Joe Flaherty

Post by Sonic Youth »

Mister Tee wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:59 am Some are you aren't old enough to have watched SCTV in its heyday, and only know the cast members (Martin Short, John Candy, Catherine O'Hara, Eugene Levy etc.) who went on to more prominent careers.
That would be just about every cast member except for him. There was also Andrea Martin and Rick Moranis.

Very sad to hear this news. I was a kid during SCTV's heyday. I was not allowed to watch TV so late at night, so during the weekend I would sneak to the TV room after my parents were asleep. Since they were usually awake around midnight on the weekends, that meant I couldn't watch much of SNL, but I did discover SCTV and it became my illicit late night go-to. It was the amazing comic performances that kept me coming back since I didn't always understand the humor, which was far drier than SNL. SCTV had its drawbacks. The no-live-audience format could feel a little stifling, and the most off-putting laugh track this side of M*A*S*H didn't help. But the players were astonishing, and there was no evident hierarchy (which there ALWAYS was/is on SNL). And they could be hysterically funny celebrity impersonators (when I knew who they were lampooning). Flaherty's Gregory Peck was brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZE6yHtw0k8

Another clip that nicely captures the show's essence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2xWQr4VaUA&t=1s

No Joe Flaherty here, but the female cast members deserve a clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUMhA8Ye3x8

I was very surprised to learn Flaherty was 82 years old. I never knew was very much the senior cast member.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:51 pm
SCTV is a big blind spot for me. The sense I got is that it was the most respected and creative late night comedy show in contrast to the more boisterous SNL of the late 70's and the downfall early 80's.
On the possibility you're interested, an "it's a bit more complicated than that" short history.

No show was ever considered more cool/creative than Saturday Night Live during those late 70s years. It arrived as NBC Saturday Night in Fall 1975 (only got relabeled Saturday Night Live because everyone kept calling it that; "SNL" didn't come along till well past the initial heyday). It didn't catch on immediately; it wasn't till after the new year that suddenly you found all your friends were watching it. The show initially had a lot of variety show filler -- skits by the Muppets, films by Albert Brooks. But it quickly became apparent the Not Ready for Prime Time Players, and the often outrageous sketches, were the selling point of the show. This was the first instance of the counter-culture taking over a TV show on its own terms; no "grown-up" sanding off the edges of the humor.

The response was enormous. The show swept the Emmys in 1976 (they were held in Spring, then), and the by-late-night-standards ratings soared. For the remainder of the decade, the show was the original must-see-TV, especially for the still-young boomers. As someone very much in that demo, I can tell you that, no matter where you were/what you were doing on Saturday night, when 11:30 rolled around, you found a way to get to someone's apartment to watch the show. Parties were interrupted as everyone gathered around the TV set -- something I'd never seen before, and haven't seen since.

Sometime around 1978/79, SCTV appeared. It wasn't a network show, and it didn't have a desirable time-slot -- in NY, it ran on local channel 9, at 1AM...right after Saturday Night Live. Because we were young/night owls, many of us started staying with the show after Belushi and gang signed off. The show seemed cheaper/more raggedy at first -- though the talent of people like John Candy jumped out at you.

Two things happened to up SCTV's rep: it finally got a network slot (NBC) -- still not prime (12:30 AM Friday night-into-Saturday), but with far more visibility. And, over at Lorne Michaels' fief, the original cast departed -- first Belushi and Aykroyd, then the whole gang. That show still maintained an audience -- and made a huge star of Eddie Murphy -- but much of the rest of the cast was viewed as lackluster, and the devotional quality the show had had began to gradually fade.

Meantime, SCTV hit its stride. It did sketches that were far more esoteric than anything Saturday Night Live had attempted -- The Network Battle of the PBS Stars; (Martin Short as) Jerry Lewis Live on the Champs Elysees; The Bowery Boys in the Band -- as well as cross-genre stuff, like The Andy Griffin Show, which re-imagined Mayberry with Merv Griffin in the Sheriff Andy role; or Woody Allen/Gregory Peck auditioning for the role of Travis Bickle. They also used ambitious, lunatic framing devices around the sketches: one week, it was SCTV fixing the Emmys so they won every category; in another, it parodied The Godfather, with station Manger Guy Caballero (Flaherty) as the Don, dealing lethally with rival cable companies.

It was during these years that SCTV picked up its reputation as the cooler, more creative show. It was also far more of a niche item: it had devoted watchers (including me), but never did much in the ratings, and was not long after replaced by Friday Night Videos, which well outperformed it. The show moved over to Cinemax -- the first instance of a network show moving to cable -- at which point I (cable-less) lost touch.

You definitely should look for some samples of their work, if only to understand why so many of us have so much affection for the performers who came out of the show.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

danfrank wrote
I didn’t watch SCTV, but thought he was very funny as the dad on Freaks and Geeks. I loved that show.
Beat me to it.

Looks like he hasn't really worked much in the last ten years.

SCTV is a big blind spot for me. The sense I got is that it was the most respected and creative late night comedy show in contrast to the more boisterous SNL of the late 70's and the downfall early 80's.
"How's the despair?"
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

I didn’t watch SCTV, but thought he was very funny as the dad on Freaks and Geeks. I loved that show.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

R.I.P. Joe Flaherty

Post by Mister Tee »

Some are you aren't old enough to have watched SCTV in its heyday, and only know the cast members (Martin Short, John Candy, Catherine O'Hara, Eugene Levy etc.) who went on to more prominent careers. But the show itself was must-see late-night for those of us of a certain age. Joe Flaherty -- the sleazy Guy Caballero, the cut-rate horror-master Count Floyd -- was an indispensable part of it. His departure makes me deeply sad.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/02/arts ... -dead.html

Return to “Broadcast Media”