I'm always here for the Trivia

For the films of 2023
Greg
Tenured

Re: I'm always here for the Trivia

Post by Greg »

HarryGoldfarb wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:34 am - “Oppenheimer”, with global box office tallying just shy of $1 billion, is now the third-highest-grossing film to win the top Oscar, behind only of “Titanic” and “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King". It is also the highest-grossing film to earn acting awards.
If you adjust for inflation, Best Picture winners Gone With The Wind, The Sound Of Music, The Godfather, Ben Hur, and Forrest Gump also made more money than Oppenheimer; and, all of those five, except for The Sound Of Music also won acting Oscars.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Mister Tee wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:04 pm
HarryGoldfarb wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:34 am - Second consecutive year that the Best International Film wins sound. Too soon to talk about any trend but it is striking.
I think you're confusing this with BAFTA. The sound Oscar last year went to Top Gun: Maverick (shudder memory), not All Quiet.

This is, in fact, the first year the Sound Oscar has ever gone to an international film. Coupled with the Godzilla breakthrough in visual effects, it (by my reckoning) reduces to just two the number of Oscar categories not yet won by an International Film: supporting actor and adapted screenplay. The latter category has had many International films nominated (including the past several years), but, to my knowledge, no supporting actor from an International film has ever received so much as a nomination.
Nope, for some reason I actully thought All Quiet… had won.

Thanks.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

HarryGoldfarb wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:34 am - Second consecutive year that the Best International Film wins sound. Too soon to talk about any trend but it is striking.
I think you're confusing this with BAFTA. The sound Oscar last year went to Top Gun: Maverick (shudder memory), not All Quiet.

This is, in fact, the first year the Sound Oscar has ever gone to an international film. Coupled with the Godzilla breakthrough in visual effects, it (by my reckoning) reduces to just two the number of Oscar categories not yet won by an International Film: supporting actor and adapted screenplay. The latter category has had many International films nominated (including the past several years), but, to my knowledge, no supporting actor from an International film has ever received so much as a nomination.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Uri wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:47 am
HarryGoldfarb wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:34 am - Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas are now the second married duo to win best picture, with “Driving Miss Daisy” producers Richard D. Zanuck and Lili Fini Zanuck as the first.
They are at least the fourth. Julia and Michael Philiips won for The sting, Fran Walsh and Peter Jackson did for that Ring part 11 or something.
Good catch… I’ll correct my post.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Not a piece of trivia but I could see John Mulaney hosting the Oscars next year. Do I know this for a fact? No. But after he got more laughs in 1:30 minutes ("Some people say that the silent era was the golden era of film. These people are difficult and insane.") plus his governor's awards speech (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8uIHsiZ-og), I think he's basically been doing a soft-audition this year.

His Back to the Future bit is hilarious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ButlizwQXnU
"How's the despair?"
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

HarryGoldfarb wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:34 am - Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas are now the second married duo to win best picture, with “Driving Miss Daisy” producers Richard D. Zanuck and Lili Fini Zanuck as the first.
They are at least the fourth. Julia and Michael Philiips won for The sting, Fran Walsh and Peter Jackson did for that Ring part 11 or something.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Cillian Murphy becomes the first Irish-born actor to win Best Actor. Daniel Day-Lewis was born in England. The only other two Irish-born acting winners were Barry Fitzgerald and Brenda Fricker.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

HarryGoldfarb wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:34 am - Oppenheimer is the first Best Picture to win both actor and supporting actor since Ben-Hur (1959).
Fun fact all 7 of Oppenheimer's Oscars were in categories that Ben-Hur won.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

- Oppenheimer is the first Best Picture to win both actor and supporting actor since Ben-Hur (1959).

- In the entire history of Best International Film (throughout the multiple denominations it has had) it is the first time that UK has won (in its third nomination). The previous nominations (Hedd Wynn and Solomon & Gaenor) were in Welsh and the country ends up winning with a film spoken in German and Polish.

- Second consecutive year that the Best International Film wins sound. Too soon to talk about any trend but it is striking.

- Diane Warren, with her unsuccessful 15th nomination for “The Fire Inside” from “Flamin’ Hot,” is tied now with the late Alex North and the still-active Thomas Newman for the second-most number of nominations without a win, just behind sound mixer Greg Russell’s 16.

- ORIGINAL CLAIM: Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas are now the second married duo to win best picture, with “Driving Miss Daisy” producers Richard D. Zanuck and Lili Fini Zanuck as the first.
EDIT: As Uri noted, they are at least the fourth. Julia and Michael Philiips won for The sting, while Fran Walsh and Peter Jackson did for that LOTR:TROTK.

- KOTFM joins the group of films with 10 nominations that did not win a single award; It is the group's 5th entry after Gangs of New York, True Grit, American Hustle and The Irishman. If the group were films that have lost 10 nominations, The Power of the Dog, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Pride of the Yankee, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Chinatown and Lincoln would all be part of it.

- “Oppenheimer”, with global box office tallying just shy of $1 billion, is now the third-highest-grossing film to win the top Oscar, behind only of “Titanic” and “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King". It is also the highest-grossing film to earn acting awards.
Last edited by HarryGoldfarb on Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Someone on Twitter pointed out that five different non-English/international films won an accumulated 6 Oscars last night: Anatomy of a Fall, The Boy and The Heron, Godzilla Minus One, 20 Days in Mariupol and The Zone of Interest. That has to be some sort of record, right?
CalWilliam
Temp

Post by CalWilliam »

Killers of the Flower Moon is the third film by Scorsese that goes 0/10 at the Oscars, after Gangs of New York and The Irishman. A shame.

It’s also his fourth film in a row that is nominated for at least an Academy Award and doesn’t win anything after The Wolf of Wall Street, Silence and The Irishman.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

HarryGoldfarb wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:26 pm Apparently, at 22 Billie Eilish is the youngest-ever 2-time Academy Award winner.
She and her brother Finnias O'Connell at 26 are the youngest two-time winners.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Godzilla Minus One is the first non-English language film to win Best Visual Effects.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Apparently, at 22 Billie Eilish is the youngest-ever 2-time Academy Award winner.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

If Eilish and Finneas win, WWIMF will join the short list of Best Song winners at both the Oscars and the Grammys. However, it would be the first time in more than 25 years: this has not happened since Titanic's My Heart Will Go On.

Return to “96th Academy Awards”