Dune, Part 2

Okri
Tenured

Re: Dune, Part 2

Post by Okri »

I thought it was pretty extraordinary. It tells a more complete story than the first one (yeah, it ends with a To Be Continued type moment, but it felt more natural) and the visuals are wall-to-wall stunners. Villeneuve has complete command of this material and that cinemagicians he employs do staggering work (I love the sound design and score in particular).
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sonic Youth wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:58 pm
Reza wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:09 pm I kept wondering how the riders dismounted from the worm after the ride was over.
Did you ever think you'd write such a sentence?
:lol:
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Reza wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:09 pm I kept wondering how the riders dismounted from the worm after the ride was over.
Did you ever think you'd write such a sentence?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Great visuals but the rest is such a bore with repetitious action sequences that are not even thrilling. I kept wondering how the riders dismounted from the worm after the ride was over.
danfrank
Assistant

Dune, Part 2

Post by danfrank »

I figured this deserves its own thread, as it will likely get gobs of Oscar nominations next year.

First off, this is NOT my kind of story with its wars and messiahs. Nevertheless it is a sumptuous cinematic experience. The visuals are even better than the first film with lots of artfully stunning shots that make you go WOW. Some shots are beautifully set up, with images transforming in unexpected ways within a single take. Villeneuve is clearly a master, getting more creative as his career progresses. I saw it on a gigantic IMAX screen, which is the way to go if you are able. The actors are all…fine with no real standouts except Zendaya’s amazingly cinematic face. Skinny Timothée is such an unlikely action hero, but he more-or-less pulls it off.

This story feels like it’s never going to end with many more battles to come. Battles bore me but are worth sitting through just to see what Villeneuve and his assorted wizards (cinematography, visual effects, and production design are standouts) have to show us.

Return to “2024”