Ceremony Details

For the films of 2023
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: Ceremony Details

Post by Mister Tee »

Yet more presenters. The five-wide teams for the acting awards have obviously beefed things up, but this year seems to have a stronger batch of credentialed folk (as opposed to up-and-comers) than has been customary of late:

https://twitter.com/TheAcademy/status/1 ... 5313260819
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I can see Jennifer Lawence presenting Carey Mulligan gushing about how great that it was working with Bradley Cooper on the film that she won her Oscar for.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I love, love, love the "winners tribunal" approach.
Eenusch
Graduate

Post by Eenusch »

If the goal is to bring out the old stars for glamour why not shit-can the Governors Awards and hand them out during the regular ceremony - ok, maybe not four honoraries but at least one or two.

Oh well, I'm just waiting to read/hear that Harry and Meghan will be presenting Best Picture in which case I'm making other plans on March 10th.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:40 pm If it gets more big names on stage, I'm all for it.
It was annoying (slowed down the show) but a novelty when they last did this. So many previous Oscar winners appeared on the show. If they can rope in big names from the past it would add old-style glamour to the proceedings. Although the older lot are simply too old now to appear.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

If it gets more big names on stage, I'm all for it.

There's no reason they can't do both the presentation and a clip of the performance so that audience members who haven't seen the work can get a glimpse of it.

It's better they do that than spend their moment in the spotlight before they open the envelope with inane banter about themselves.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Eenusch wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:19 pm You’d think that being an Oscar nominee is a reward that doesn’t require further ego stroking. But no – the nominees now need an elder chorus to tell them how truly great they are.
In Hollywood there’s no such thing as too much ego stroking.
Eenusch
Graduate

Post by Eenusch »

You’d think that being an Oscar nominee is a reward that doesn’t require further ego stroking. But no – the nominees now need an elder chorus to tell them how truly great they are.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

flipp525 wrote
I also don’t like it when they do montages of the actor’s nominated performance which, I believe, they did last year again. Pick one clip and show it. That’s how they’ve been doing it for decades and it’s worked out just fine. They always mess with non-problems areas of the show rather than the dumb shit that’s actually an issue.
I mostly agree with your point about the montages. What that approach tends to isolate is the strength of the role rather than performance. The only thing I'll say in favor of the montages is that the weight of some performances are hard to sum up in just one clip. Look at Jesse Plemons in The Power of the Dog. Put aside whether or not he deserves a nomination (my vote: no, but I wouldn't have nominated that entire slate that year). Almost everyone agrees he's good in the film, but no clip is really going to convey his strengths. A montage probably would.

I learn towards clip vs. montage but holy shit, if the choice is montage or the gross sanctimony that was that tribunal bullshit, for the love of all that is holy give me a montage.
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sabin wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:54 pm Goddammit, are they doing that stupid clipless tribunal bullshit again?
They better not be. That was so fucking stupid and did NOT work that year (the Kate Winslet/Mo’Nique/Heath Ledger year, IIRC).

I also don’t like it when they do montages of the actor’s nominated performance which, I believe, they did last year again. Pick one clip and show it. That’s how they’ve been doing it for decades and it’s worked out just fine. They always mess with non-problems areas of the show rather than the dumb shit that’s actually an issue.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Goddammit, are they doing that stupid clipless tribunal bullshit again?
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

And, the first list of presenters, which sets up alongside the announcement of how the acting awards will be given out:

https://twitter.com/TheAcademy/status/1 ... 8954605947
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Also, something some were wondering about:

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/ryan ... 235922898/

Return to “96th Academy Awards”