Who is Robert K. Hur?

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Who is Robert K. Hur?

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
The Disgusting Furor Over Biden’s Age by Paul Krugman (born 2/28/1953)
I like what Krugman wrote. Generally speaking, that's been my impression of him. Whenever I speak to people who doubt his cognition, I keep going back to one question: "If he's losing his mind, how is he such a good administrator?" How has he gotten more bipartisan legislation or narrowly passed with thin majorities of any President of my adult life?

That said, I don't think it's wild speculation about his age at this point. It's not like he hasn't been misremembering important figures and saying stupid shit almost every time he makes an appearance.

What I agree the most with Krugman about is the look in the mirror that most voters have to take. I would've though that with the amount of handwringing D's have done during the Obama years about gun control that they'd realize what Biden got done with background checks. That's been a real wakeup call about my party.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Disgusting Furor Over Biden’s Age by Paul Krugman (born 2/28/1953)

When the news broke about the special counsel’s hit job — his snide, unwarranted, obviously politically motivated slurs about President Biden’s memory — I found myself thinking about my mother. What year did she die? It turned out that I didn’t know offhand; I knew that it was after I moved from Princeton to CUNY, because I was regularly commuting out to New Jersey to see her, but before the pandemic. I actually had to look into my records to confirm that she died in 2017.

I’ll bet that many readers are similarly vague about the dates of major life events. You remember the circumstances but not necessarily the precise year. And whatever you think of me, I’m pretty sure I don’t write or sound like an old man. The idea that Biden’s difficulty in pinning down the year of his son’s death shows his incapacity — in the middle of the Gaza crisis! — is disgusting.

As it happens, I had an hourlong off-the-record meeting with Biden in August. I can’t talk about the content, but I can assure you that he’s perfectly lucid, with a good grasp of events. And outside of that personal experience, on several occasions when I thought he was making a serious misjudgment — like his handling of the debt ceiling crisis — he was right, and I was wrong.

And my God, consider his opponent. When I listen to Donald Trump’s speeches, I find myself thinking about my father, who died in 2013 (something else I had to look up). During his last year my father suffered from sundowning: He was lucid during the day but would sometimes become incoherent and aggressive after dark. If we’re going to be doing amateur psychological diagnoses of elderly politicians, shouldn’t we be talking about a candidate who has confused Nikki Haley with Nancy Pelosi and whose ranting and raving sometimes reminds me of my father on a bad evening?

So to everyone who’s piling on Biden right now, stop and look in the mirror. And ask yourself what you are doing.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
Why did Garland appoint someone with a background like that to look into Biden, and why is his background not being disclosed by all the reporters tsk..tsking over Biden's tongue slip of calling the President of Hamas the President of Mexico as evidence of his declining facilities?
I agree they should report it more but the reason they’re not is bc his report backs their suspicions. They suspect Biden of declining faculties due what he’s being saying and doing in front of cameras every day for years. Let’s be honest. It’s not one slip up. And of course, it’s a story.

Being the President isn’t a fair job. Now it’s on Biden to convince enough people that he’s up for it.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Who is Robert K. Hur?

Post by Big Magilla »

Robert K, Hur is the Special Consul, appointed by Attorney General Merrick Garland, to look into Biden's "mishandling" of classified documents.

His report concluded that Biden was guilty but should not be prosecuted because he is a “well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory” who had “diminished faculties in advancing age” and would be acquitted by a sympathetic jury. If it sounds like something out of Trump's playbook, it is.

Hur, a Republican, served as U.S. attorney of Maryland from 2018 to 2021, after being appointed by former President Donald Trump’s attorney general, Jeff Sessions. He previously clerked for two well-known conservative judges, including archconservative Supreme Court Justice William Rehnquist.

Why did Garland appoint someone with a background like that to look into Biden, and why is his background not being disclosed by all the reporters tsk..tsking over Biden's tongue slip of calling the President of Hamas the President of Mexico as evidence of his declining facilities?

Return to “Current Events”