The Official Review Thread of 2024

anonymous1980
Laureate

Re: The Official Review Thread of 2024

Post by anonymous1980 »

SUNCOAST
Cast: Nico Parker, Laura Linney, Woody Harrelson, Matt Walsh.
Dir: Laura Chinn.

This is a semi-autobiographical coming-of-age drama about a teenage girl befriending a right-to-life activist during the Terri Schiavo controversy and trying to have fun after helping to care for her terminally ill brother. The film pretty much follows all the tropes of what you would expect in a coming-of-age teen drama. What makes this special however is the excellent cast. Nico Parker (daughter of Thandiwe Newton, inherited her mother's acting chops, I must say), Laura Linney and Woody Harrelson all give awards-worthy performances that lift the material up and makes this film more than worth watching. While the film is set during the Terri Schiavo case, it doesn't preach one way or another but instead just focuses on individuals and characters which was a wise choice. So it's a solid indie drama that's worth your time.

Oscar Prospects: I don't know if this is qualified for the Oscars or the Emmys but Parker, Linney and Harrelson are worthy of recognition.

Grade: B+
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

MEAN GIRLS
Cast: Angourie Rice, Renee Rapp, Auli'i Cravalho, Jaquel Spivey, Christopher Briney, Avantika, Bebe Wood, Jenna Fischer, Tina Fey, Tim Meadows.
Dirs: Samantha Jayne & Arturo Perez Jr.

This is the film version of the stage musical adaptation of the 2004 teen comedy where a homeschooled teenage girl goes to public school for the first time and becomes involved with the most feared and popular girl in school. I personally liked the original a lot. I'm not too familiar with the Broadway musical since I'm not a big fan of turning popular films into stage musicals so I have no opinion on how good an adaptation of the stage musical this is. I found it largely unnecessary with most of the songs being just okay. However, it was still entertaining and there were a few good laughs (Tina Fey's brand of humor remains intact) plus the cast is really good. Overall, it's inoffensive and should please the fans of the stage musical.

Oscar Prospects: That one original song could make a play for Original Song.

Grade: B.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

LISA FRANKENSTEIN
Cast: Kathryn Newton, Cole Sprouse, Liza Soberano, Carla Gugino, Henry Eikenberry, Joe Chrest.
Dir: Zelda Williams.

A sullen teenage girl whose mother has been murdered gets obsessed with a dead musician in an abandoned cemetery then after lightning strikes, this dead musician comes to life. This teen comedy take on the Frankenstein story doesn't always work. While Diablo Cody's script has a lot of good ideas, concepts and jokes, it really needed another pass. But writer-director Zelda Williams does have a distinctive voice and filmmaking talent and potential and embraces the crazy, darkly comedic concepts which make this film actually fun to watch. The cast is also strong. While Kathryn Newton and Cole Sprouse nail their roles, I think Carla Gugino and Liza Soberano almost steal the film as the titular character's step-family. So overall, not a great film but a solid horror teen comedy worth checking out.

Oscar Prospects: Makeup & Hairstyling is possible.

Grade: B.
anonymous1980
Laureate

The Official Review Thread of 2024

Post by anonymous1980 »

ORION AND THE DARK
Cast: Jacob Tremblay, Paul Walter Hauser, Angela Bassett, Colin Hanks, Mia Akemi Brown, Natasia Demetriou, Nat Faxon, Ike Barinholtz, Carla Gugino, Werner Herzog (voices).
Dir: Sean Charmatz

A young boy who's afraid of most everything especially the dark is visited by the actual entity Dark who will take him on a journey to prove that there's nothing to be scared of. This is my first narrative 2024 film review. One of the selling points of this Netflix animated film is that it's written by Charlie Kaufman. And yes, even though this is obviously aimed at children and families and there's funny, colorful characters and a pretty straightforward narrative, it is still quite obvious Charlie Kaufman wrote it. There are elements here that I've never seen an animated film aimed at kids do which I won't reveal here so as not to spoil it but I will say that some of it may work for some people but some of it may not. It is genuinely funny, sweet and surprising and features some great voice work by the two leads Jacob Tremblay and Paul Walter Hauser as well as beautiful animation. I highly recommend this not only for kids or adults with kids.

Oscar Prospects: An early 2024 contender for Best Animated Feature.

Grade: B+

Return to “2024”