Nominations Announcement

For the films of 2023
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Nominations Announcement

Post by Sabin »

dws1982 wrote
I fear this is going to be the third Scorsese film to go 0/10, although I hope not, and I do think that Gladstone has a decent shot. That screenplay snub was the surprise of the morning for me though.
If The Zone of Interest wasn't such an odd arty film, I would've predicted it. There's lots of complaints about the screenplay for Killers of the Flower Moon. I could see writers overlooking it. Scorsese's Oscar films rarely miss screenplay but they've also never been in as tight a race as this one.

I do think Killers will go 0/10. That's what happens. If he gets 11 nominations, the film wins 5. If he gets 10, he loses them all.
"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

HarryGoldfarb wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:37 am - Sad for the unenthusiastic journey KOTFM is going through, probably my favorite film of the year. I am glad for both DeNiro and Gladstone but no screenplay (and to some extent, no DiCaprio) means the film is officially now an afterthought in the race.
I fear this is going to be the third Scorsese film to go 0/10, although I hope not, and I do think that Gladstone has a decent shot. That screenplay snub was the surprise of the morning for me though.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Random comments:
- Sad for the unenthusiastic journey KOTFM is going through, probably my favorite film of the year. I am glad for both DeNiro and Gladstone but no screenplay (and to some extent, no DiCaprio) means the film is officially now an afterthought in the race.
- Oppenheimer is flying solo, unopposed towards its final victory. If anything, maybe Anatomy of a Fall has become its unexpected real competitor, even more than Poor Creatures.
- I thought Society of the Snow could have shown up more elsewhere, considering its great tally appearing on several shorlists. Showing up in Make-up seems deserving nonetheless.
- The Farrera inclusion is… kind of baffling…
- I’m Just Ken’s team have worked their **s off to remain in people’s mind at the right time. The Kristmas version became ubiquitous so I guess it has taken the frontrunner status from WWIMF.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I joined the UADB in 1998. There are others still here who were here before me.

The current platform dates back to early 2003.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Greg wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:54 am
Bog wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:20 am
Mister Tee wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:27 pm
2) It's staggering we've been in tandem long enough that your kids have reached wise-ass age.
Staggering is damn right....haha...when we first "met" I was a zit riddled brace-laced "child" and I now celebrate 17 years with my wife this year and have 5 of those wise ass soon to be Oscar obsessed kids...
What year did this board start, anyway?
I first bumped in the board back in 1999… discussions regarding SPR were on going and there was the first time I heard about SiL. Black background, golden fonts, nested conversations, heated arguments… It was a totally different animal.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Bog wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:20 am
2) It's staggering we've been in tandem long enough that your kids have reached wise-ass age.
Staggering is damn right....haha...when we first "met" I was a zit riddled brace-laced "child" and I now celebrate 17 years with my wife this year and have 5 of those wise ass soon to be Oscar obsessed kids...
What year did this board start, anyway?
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Bog wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:16 pm Been making me look like a nom morning genius in from of my wife and kids for better part of 2 decades personally......last few years though, my oldest daughter just gives me a look in reference to any "smartest guy in the room" comment and says....

"Mr. T, dad??!" (shrug/blush/ya got me damnit!)
1) You flatter me deeply.

Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Mister Tee wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:55 pm
Bog wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:31 am
flipp525 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:25 am Are the nominees still presented in alphabetical order? Tee, I think you would do a fun rundown back in the day of different scenarios when certain names didn’t come up at first, based on that.
One of the best reads every single year...bar none
I had no idea it was that popular.
Been making me look like a nom morning genius in from of my wife and kids for better part of 2 decades personally......last few years though, my oldest daughter just gives me a look in reference to any "smartest guy in the room" comment and says....

"Mr. T, dad??!" (shrug/blush/ya got me damnit!)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Bog wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:31 am
flipp525 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:25 am Are the nominees still presented in alphabetical order? Tee, I think you would do a fun rundown back in the day of different scenarios when certain names didn’t come up at first, based on that.
I had no idea it was that popular.

I have a few things I hope to post in the time between now and Tuesday morning (plus, you know...some real life stuff). But I'll see if I can put one together.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Are the nominees still presented in alphabetical order? Tee, I think you would do a fun rundown back in the day of different scenarios when certain names didn’t come up at first, based on that.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

It's just an overt act of hoping the "youth movement" will get interested in what most under 30 consider completely erroneous awards.

Zazie Beetz and Jack Quaid for when Sydney Sweeney and Noah Centineo aren't available 🤣🤣
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I wish they’d go back to having only Oscar nominated or Oscar winning actors announce the nominations. I don’t think either of these people are even Academy members yet.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Granted, these are not the biggest stars, but they're not complete unknowns.

Jack Quaid has an extensive filmography beginning with The Hunger Games in 2012. His first starring role was in the Mickey Rooney role in his mother's 2015 film, Ithaca, a remake of The Human Comedy. He is the star of HBO's The Boys now in its fourth season. He was also in Oppenheimer as theoretical physicist Richard Feynman.

Zazee Beetz was the female lead in Joker. She was third billed behind Joaquin Phoenix and Robert De Niro.

Return to “96th Academy Awards”