Oppenheimer 4K UHD Completely Sold Out

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: Oppenheimer 4K UHD Completely Sold Out

Post by OscarGuy »

People don't suddenly stop wanting something because there aren't enough units to buy. Now, if they publish the actual number of units sold, then I would accept that it really was a massive seller, but until then, I stand by my assertion that it sounds like a studio stunt.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

OscarGuy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:43 pm This sounds like a studio doing a very small print run to create a "sold out" situation and increase interest.
Exactly my thoughts
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:43 pm This sounds like a studio doing a very small print run to create a "sold out" situation and increase interest.
It's the real thing. Why it was such a hot seller on Black Friday and Cyber-Monday, I don't know, but Universal would be shooting itself in the foot to pull a stunt like that when many of those would-be buyers will just have moved onto something else.

This was the statement they sent to inquiring news outlets this morning:

“We are happy so many consumers are embracing Oppenheimer in 4K Ultra HD and understand that some retailers may currently be out of stock. Universal is working to replenish those retailers quickly so fans can watch the film at home in the best picture quality possible.”

Sonic, it plays much better on home video where you don't have to watch it all at once and can play the subtitles to catch all the dialogue you may have missed in the theatre.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I feel much better now.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

This sounds like a studio doing a very small print run to create a "sold out" situation and increase interest.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

RANT (because I can’t take this anymore.)

I remember Damien once saying that although there have been Best Picture winners he hated, he at least could see why other people loved them and why they could capture the affection and enthusiasm of millions of people, even if the films didn't work for him. IOW, despite his personal opinions, its popularity and Oscar victory always made sense… except for No Country For Old Men. The reasons for that film’s success eluded him entirely.

Oppenheimer is my No Country for Old Men. I have an unfinished review hanging around somewhere. I neither liked it nor hated it. I felt the same way about it as I did Everything Everywhere etc.: overwhelming indifference. But at least with EEAAO I could understand why it was so well loved. But Oppenheimer? Why??? Why THIS film?? Why would a dry, garrulous 3 hour long biopic about a nuclear physicist capture the adulation of the entire planet? Okay, it’s a “great” film, I guess. But why THIS great film? Because it’s Christopher Nolan? Why THIS Christopher Nolan film and not Inception or something? Did it capture some timely undercurrent? And what would that undercurrent be? I certainly can’t define it. Barbenheimer explanations only take you so far, because if mass audiences didn’t love Opp, it would’ve lost its momentum long ago. But its momentum hasn’t even started to flag, and will probably continue until the last Oscar is handed out. It makes no sense to me!

And yet there’s no arguing its success, and this is just one more proof of it. But I’m not so sure this means physical media isn’t nearly dead, any more than Barbenheimer saved the movie theater. More likely, it just bought itself a little more time.
Last edited by Sonic Youth on Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Oppenheimer 4K UHD Completely Sold Out

Post by Big Magilla »

Physical media isn't dead after all. The 4K UHD release of Oppenheimer is sold out everywhere - the regular Blu-ray disc is also sold out at Amazon.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/o ... 49f8e&ei=9

Return to “DVD Discussions”