Best Directing 2022

For the films of 2022

Who should have won and who will be best remembered for their direction this year?

Todd Field, Tár
30%
Daniel Kwan, Daniel Sheinert, Everything Everywhere All at Once
7%
Martin McDonagh, The Banshees of Inisherin
11%
Ruben Östlund, Triangle of Sadness
No votes
Steven Spielberg, The Fabelmans
7%
Todd Field, Tár
4%
Daniel Kwan, Daniel Sheinert, Everything Everywhere All at Once
30%
Martin McDonagh, The Banshees of Inisherin
No votes
Ruben Östlund, Triangle of Sadness
No votes
Steven Spielberg, The Fabelmans
11%

Total votes: 27

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Best Directing 2022

Post by Sabin »

dws1982 wrote
The Fabelmans isn't going anywhere. As Spielberg is assessed in the coming years, as he is rightfully seen as one of the most important of all filmmakers, The Fabelmans--although I'm not sure where I actually rank it in his filmograph--will emerge as a key Spielberg work, and will be seen as such when critics and academics begin looking at his body of work as a whole. Tár will always be a critical/auteurist favorite of the year, and will stand on that alone, but if he (as he has hinted) doesn't make anymore movies--and even if he does, it'll probably be awhile--I'm really unsure how this will be looked at in retrospect.
This is a really good point. Spielberg probably is the safe bet. I'm convinced.
"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

The Fabelmans isn't going anywhere. As Spielberg is assessed in the coming years, as he is rightfully seen as one of the most important of all filmmakers, The Fabelmans--although I'm not sure where I actually rank it in his filmograph--will emerge as a key Spielberg work, and will be seen as such when critics and academics begin looking at his body of work as a whole. Tár will always be a critical/auteurist favorite of the year, and will stand on that alone, but if he (as he has hinted) doesn't make anymore movies--and even if he does, it'll probably be awhile--I'm really unsure how this will be looked at in retrospect. It's hard to build legacy on the back of three films, so I think Field may go the way of Jan Troll and Ken Russell, in terms of becoming someone who you don't remember got a Best Director nomination. Banshees will stand on things other than directing, and while McDonagh does deserve some credit for the actors, I guess (who have been excellent in other things before this), his directing is way down on the list of this movie's achievements; from the way the movie looks to other things like the way the town is established, I think he makes some really basic mistakes. Vocal detractors, which Everything Everywhere... does have, will often stay at the pulpit over time and make sure their voice is heard. And while I think it will certainly have fans over the years, I do worry that Everything is so of the moment that it won't have a great deal of universality. It will be remembered, most winners are, but I do worry that it may not always be remembered well, and I say this as someone who doesn't have strong feelings on the film one way or the other. Social satire can sometimes curdle quickly as times and tastes change, even if the issues being satirized and dealt with are fairly universal, so a movie like Triangle of Sadness is always vulnerable to "did people really fall for that?" takes that could happen in two, ten, or twenty years.

I'm voting for Todd Field as my winner pick, because I strongly feel this will be my only chance to vote for him as Best Director. On merit, I would put it as a toss-up between Field and Spielberg, but I just voted Spielberg in this category last year. On the what will be remembered front, I vote Spielberg, for the reasons I stated. I do think West Side Story is the better movie, but I think The Fabelmans, in retrospect, will be seen as the more key work.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

For me, the three best film of the year were Tár, The Banshees of Inisherin, and The Fabelmans, of which I found Banshees to be the one that stands up most to repeat viewings.

Voted for Field for most deserving winner in a toss-up with McDonagh.

Not sure how this will be looked at in 50 years, but I have a feeling that the tale of the Daniels coming out of nowhere with EEAAO with continue to resonate even if they never have another hit so they get my vote for 50 years hence.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Tár and Triangle of Sadness were my favorite films of 2022 but I'd single Tár more out for its directorial vision.

If I were to guess which film is more remembered in 50 years, I'd go back and forth between Field and Spielberg. What Todd Field has going for him is I'm pretty certain that as the years go on, Lydia Tár will continue to be heralded as one of Cate Blanchett's singular creations and I have no doubt as to her career trajectory as one of our greats. That said, some of its appeal is so of the moment, I'm uncertain if it will translate in years to come. The draw of The Fabelmans will be one of insight into the history of a filmmaker whose appeal I have no doubt will continue to build as long as film perseveres as a medium. But who's to say if economic disparity continues to grow that something like Triangle of Sadness doesn't grow in stature?

For now I'll say Todd Field because it also feels like we're watching a bold new filmmaker being born.

EDIT: Daniel has convinced me to vote Spielberg for the second category.
Last edited by Sabin on Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Best Directing 2022

Post by Big Magilla »

Vote twice, first for which achievement you think should have won and second for which achievement you think will be best known/remembered in 50 years.

Clearly, Steven Spielberg will be best remembered among the nominees for his overall work in 50 years, but will he be remembered for The Fabelmans or will that accomplishment be remembered chiefly by film buffs as are Ford's Seven Women and Hitchcock's Torn Curtain best remembered today?

Return to “95th Academy Awards”