Best Supporting Actress 2022

For the films of 2022

Who should have won and who will be remembered most?

Angela Bassett - Black Panther: Wakanda
No votes
Hong Chau - The Whale
No votes
Kerry Condon - The Banshees of Inisherin
38%
Jamie Lee Curtis - Everything Everywhere All at Once
No votes
Stephanie Hsu - Everything Everywhere All at Once
13%
Angela Bassett - Black Panther: Wakanda
4%
Hong Chau - The Whale
4%
Kerry Condon - The Banshees of Inisherin
8%
Jamie Lee Curtis - Everything Everywhere All at Once
21%
Stephanie Hsu - Everything Everywhere All at Once
13%

Total votes: 24

CalWilliam
Temp

Re: Best Supporting Actress 2022

Post by CalWilliam »

Kerry Condon was great, and she would have won without Jamie Lee Curtis, whose Oscar win I don’t think will stand the test of time, but I don’t dislike her performance either, and I can think of worse winners in this category (Gale Sondergaard, Alice Brady, Gloria Grahame, Miyoshi Umeki, Helen Hayes, Jennifer Hudson or Anne Hathaway come to mind). What do you think about her turn and her status in the supporting actress Oscar winners canon?

My vote for the future goes to Stephanie Hsu, who is already beloved in social media and will continue to be.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

For part one, easily Kerry Condon. Sad her fame-profile was just too weak to prevail at the Oscars.

I skipped answering part two on supporting actor, because who was I to say what history's verdict would be? Unless I had an Ebert-like platform, and could push my choice until it became the retroactive consensus.

But -- to show I can quickly contradict myself -- here, I'm going to say Hong Chau. I think her career has a firecracker intensity to it right now. The prospect of her profile becoming substantially enhanced, along with the size of this role, and the fact that Fraser's win will mean people will keep seeking out The Whale...all suggest to me she could seem the top choice in retrospect.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I think Kerry Condon was the best choice. I also think her performance will be the best remembered for as long as The Banshees of Inisherin is available for people to see.

Angela Bassett will likely be better remembered for What's Love Got to Do with It and maybe even her TV work in American Horror Story than she will be her roles in the Black Panther films. Superhero movies may well end up being as shrugged off in fifty years as westerns are now.

Jamie Lee Curtis may end up being remembered for Halloween and nothing else.

Hong Chau and Stephanie Hsu may well be the most revered overall in fifty years. They will both be remembered for their versatility. Chau displays it in everything she does as does Hsu who has already conquered Broadway musicals, TV, and streaming as well as film. If I were to pick which one would be the most fondly remembered overall in fifty years it would be her, but not for EEAAO.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

For most deserving, there's no competition. It's Kerry Condon, isn't just the only one who I would nominate, she'd be my choice to win as well. Of course, she benefits from having a slam-dunk of a part. I don't recall who my other nominees would be that year but I think I scribbled down Dolly De Leon (Triangle of Sadness), Olivia Hamilton (Babylon), Lashana Lynch (The Woman King), Kristen Stewart (Crimes of the Future), and/or Hong Chau (The Menu). I know some folks who were over the moon for Stephanie Hsu. After a second viewing, I understood their enthusiasm more but I'm not quite with them.

As for which performance will be remembered in fifty years, I have no idea. A lot of that depends on how the MCU is remembered in fifty years. It also depends on what kinds of careers await Hong Chau, Stephanie Hsu, and Kerry Condon. If I had to guess right now, I would say Stephanie Hsu. I think Everything Everywhere All At Once is probably going to be a more or less fondly-remembered Best Picture winner and Stephanie Hsu's character's redemption is a major story driver.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Best Supporting Actress 2022

Post by Big Magilla »

Vote twice, first for your pick of which of these nominees would have been the most deserving winner, and then for which of these performances you think will be best remembered fifty years from now?

Return to “95th Academy Awards”