Writers Guild of America nominees

For the films of 2022
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: Writers Guild of America nominees

Post by Mister Tee »

Big get for Polley, not because her competition was so strong (it obviously was not), but because a loss here -- and I could easily imagine the group that recently chose Borat 2 and Don't Look Up going for, say, Glass Onion -- would have indicated fatal weakness. It's still between Women Talking and All Quiet, but at least Polley comes into that face-off steady on her feet.

Everything Everywhere will of course win original, thanks to the contract-exclusions, so it's technically meaningless -- but it will put McDonagh on I believe the precise same path as he traveled in 2017, which didn't end up well for him.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Best Original Screenplay: Everything Everywhere All At Once
Best Adapted Screenplay: Women Talking
Best Documentary Screenplay: Moonage Daydream
Last edited by Sabin on Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

What made them nominate the Black Panther sequel? Absolutely absurd. The rest of that adapted bunch is pretty dismal too making it easy for Sarah Polley to win hands down.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I completely agree with what Sabin said.

I loathed The Menu and couldn't take much of Nope. I will say, though, that as much as I groaned at the lapses in credulity in Top Gun: Maverick, there were things in the screenplay I liked as opposed to finding nothing of merit in Glass Onion. I think my more-than-once reference to it as Green Onion was an unconscious putdown as opposed to a senior brain fart as was my maternal grandmother's reference to Demetrius and the Gladiators as Demetrius and the Gladiolas.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
Most interesting question: had this come out pre-nominations as usual, how many would have guessed that, factoring in the excluded films, Maverick would survive over She Said? (And then miss cinematography/actor.)
To your first part? I did. (To your second, no/yes.)

Yeah, they should release these before the nominations but would The Menu or Nope end up displacing a pretty concrete IMO Best Original Screenplay lineup? I don't think so. Their best chance might have been with Triangle of Sadness but with its robust showing for Picture/Director, I doubt it.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

This is locking the barn door after the horse is gone.

Most interesting question: had this come out pre-nominations as usual, how many would have guessed that, factoring in the excluded films, Maverick would survive over She Said? (And then miss cinematography/actor.)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Writers Guild of America nominees

Post by Sabin »

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Everything Everywhere All At Once, Written by Daniel Kwan & Daniel Scheinert
The Fabelmans, Written by Steven Spielberg & Tony Kushner
The Menu, Written by Seth Reiss & Will Tracy
Nope, Written by Jordan Peele
Tár, Written by Todd Field

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Screenplay by Ryan Coogler & Joe Robert Cole, Story by Ryan Coogler, Based on the Marvel Comics
Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery, Written by Rian Johnson
She Said, Screenplay by Rebecca Lenkiewicz, Based on the New York Times Investigation by Jodi Kantor, Megan Twohey and Rebecca Corbett and the Book She Said by Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey
Top Gun: Maverick, Screenplay by Ehren Kruger and Eric Warren Singer and Christopher McQuarrie, Story by Peter Craig and Justin Marks, Based on Characters Created by Jim Cash & Jack Epps, Jr.
Women Talking, Screenplay by Sarah Polley, Based upon the Book by Miriam Toews

DOCUMENTARY SCREENPLAY
2nd Chance, Written by Ramin Bahrani
Downfall: The Case Against Boeing, Written by Mark Bailey & Keven McAlester
Last Flight Home, Written by Ondi Timoner
Moonage Daydream, Written by Brett Morgen
¡Viva Maestro!, Written by Theodore Braun
"How's the despair?"

Return to “95th Academy Awards”