R.I.P. David Crosby

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Greg
Tenured

Re: R.I.P. David Crosby

Post by Greg »

Mister Tee wrote:Genetics sometimes overrule all. For a guy who, to put it mildly, didn't take pristine care of himself, to last to his 80s is remarkable.
Also, modern medicine. He had a liver transplant in 1994.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Mister Tee wrote:Genetics sometimes overrule all. For a guy who, to put it mildly, didn't take pristine care of himself, to last to his 80s is remarkable.
Apparently Melissa Etheridge and her then-partner believed in Crosby’s genetics, with two children to prove it.

I was turned on to Crosby, Stills, and Nash by my older sister. Their music was perfect for that era, and I have yet to find a popular music group to match their perfectly blended vocal harmonies. I agree that Crosby was the best vocalist among them.

Another musical giant gone, making me feel old. Crosby’s life wasn’t always peaceful; May he rest In peace now.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

So much music from my formative years -- Turn Turn Turn, Teach Your Children, Ohio...that barely scratches the surface. A giant.
When Rick Ocaesik of The Cars died, I was amazed to learn how old he really was. Turned out, he was older than two of the four members of CSN&Y. And then I was amazed again to reflect that all four members of CSN&Y were still alive. (By contrast, every single member of the Jimi Hendrix Experience has been dead for 15 years.)

My formative years were closer to the generation of the Dead Milkmen’s “The Thing that Eats Hippies” (in which David Crosby makes a “cameo”) than “Eight Miles High”, so even though I grew up on a lot of 60s music, I don't have as much sentimental attachment towards him personally. Oh yes, one of the edifices of a huge cultural foundation has shattered, and it's really disconcerting to see these rock and pop giants passing away one by one. (One day, it's gonna be Bob Dylan, which is unimaginable to me.) And between him, S, N & Y, Crosby had the strongest singing voice by far. But he really didn't do the legacy of the 60s many favors. For years, he was the 60s-hating reactionaries' Exhibit A of everything that was wrong with the decade. And frankly, he buttressed their case not only with his lifestyle but even with his music. Google David Crosby Triad. I dare you to listen to that song without grimacing or at least laughing.

BTW, quite a few musical giants recently passed that did not recieve a thread, and they deserve acknowledgement. Jerry Lee Lewis, the very last (I think) of the 50s icons; Fleetwood Mac's Christine McVie and guitar titan Jeff Beck. We all knew this was going to happen eventually, but seeing so many rock and roll passings at an accelerated rate is, as I said, really disconcerting to witness.
Last edited by Sonic Youth on Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Genetics sometimes overrule all. For a guy who, to put it mildly, didn't take pristine care of himself, to last to his 80s is remarkable.

So much music from my formative years -- Turn Turn Turn, Teach Your Children, Ohio...that barely scratches the surface. A giant.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

R.I.P. David Crosby

Post by Big Magilla »

Founder of The Byrds and Crosby, Stills & Nash, and son of Oscar winning cinematographer Floyd Crosby, was 81.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/other/d ... r-AA16xapH

Return to “Broadcast Media”