NYFCC Winners

2018 through 2027
nightwingnova
Assistant

Re: NYFCC Winners

Post by nightwingnova »

I knocked out Nope and Everything, Everywhere, All at Once.

Keke Palmer seems to me to be in the lead actress category, not supporting. Also, while she's good, I don't find her remarkable.

Ke Huy Quan subtly and ably shifts among different incarnations of the same character. Good notable work.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

OscarGuy wrote:I think Quan's "comeback" story is one that will have a lot of people talking. Former child actor, relegated to minor roles as a stereotypical Asian kid/guy finally getting to stand out again after 30 decades of being semi-forgotten.
Reason enough for him to be nominated. The Academy does that on occasion.

Michelle Yeoh for the win!!
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Finally saw Everything Everywhere All at Once and I don't see how anyone could forget any of the main characters. Michelle Yeoh, Ke Huy Quan, Stephanie Hsu, Jamie Lee Curtis, and James Hong all have significant roles and while I personally don't think Quan does enough to deserve an Oscar nomination (Stephanie Hsu and Jamie Lee Curtis are more deserving, IMO), I think Quan's "comeback" story is one that will have a lot of people talking. Former child actor, relegated to minor roles as a stereotypical Asian kid/guy finally getting to stand out again after 30 decades of being semi-forgotten.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Tee being able to fall asleep during the cacophony of sensation that is EEAAO would be impressive.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Mister Tee wrote: I guess I have to bow to the hive mind and presume Quan is in. I honestly don't recollect a single thing about his performance.
No offense, Mister Tee but this type of statement makes me wonder if you even saw the film. Quan is the heart, and soul of the film and catalyst of the plot. He has one of the most memorable fight scenes (the fanny pack!). He has a moving third act monologue. Did you fall asleep in his parts or something?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Most of my critic friends gush all over it, but I'm not a big fan of Bollywood, so it doesn't really appeal to me.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
RRR is on Netflix, but it's over 3 hours long, so I may not rush to it.
By all accounts, RRR has big fans in the industry. Adam McKay loves it. Maybe it'll end up with a Best Director spot, or in a mandatory ten film slot maybe it could end up with a Best Picture nomination.

(NOTE: just realized that RRR has not been submitted as India's official entry. If it's a hit within the industry, that could definitely help its chances.)
Last edited by Sabin on Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

So, it ended up a mostly down-the-middle slate, with a few curve balls from differing directions.

RRR is on Netflix, but it's over 3 hours long, so I may not rush to it.

In a five-wide best picture grouping, TAR might fall short -- it screams Lone Director -- but it ought to easily make a list of 10.

Farrell and Blanchett sure seem like front-runners, but there's a long way to go.

I guess I have to bow to the hive mind and presume Quan is in. I honestly don't recollect a single thing about his performance.

Palmer is in Cameron Diaz/Tiffany Haddish territory till proven otherwise.

It may well have been a contender -- no runners up having been revealed -- but a shutout for The Fabelmans. Spielberg remains a never-winner in NY.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

FWIW, my wife hated RRR. Said RRR was a hodge-podge and an ear-splitting John Woo imitation.
Last edited by Sonic Youth on Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Good Lord....they chose the director of that absurd Indian film.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sabin wrote:
Mister Tee wrote Without Michelle Williams in play, I have no idea who is going to win Best Supporting Actress. There isn't really a frontrunner or any consensus on who the final five are going to be. It could happen vs. eventual nope.
I’m really not totally convinced that Michelle Williams is out of play for a Best Supporting Actress nomination. The voters will put her in the category they think she should be in. Like a reverse of Kate Winslet in The Reader.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Don't think they will give Blanchett a third just yet.

Michelle Yeoh would be an excellent choice. And she also fits into the mood of how the Academy likes to operate now.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sabin wrote:Without Michelle Williams in play, I have no idea who is going to win Best Supporting Actress. There isn't really a frontrunner or any consensus on who the final five are going to be. It could happen vs. eventual nope.
Jessie Buckley - Women Talking
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

So, best actor and actress are the most logical choices -- and could well repeat at the Oscars.

Now, let's see how best picture/director shake out.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
Serious question: am I the only one who barely noticed Ke Huy Quan in Everything Everywhere? I thought he was strictly a blogger fantasy, based on childhood nostalgia. Do people really think he gave some memorable performance? This truly baffles me.
Speaking for myself, Ke Huy Quan was my anchor through that film. I plan on watching EEAAO again at some point because it just exhausted me, and for that reason I valued his performance the most.

That being said, this sense of blogger vindication is going to be intolerable coming just months out from critics pushing Drive My Car towards four major nomiantions.

When was the last time all of a major filmmaker's last three films brought home acting awards from a major film critic's group? I'm sure there's another answer besides Jordan Peele but Jordan Peele is the answer today. It took them almost an hour to vote for Best Supporting Actress so clearly there was some disagreement. She's funny in Nope but she's not always acting in the same film as everybody else. So, I'm forced to find myself in the position I'm in every year where I say that people shouldn't be so quick to say something can't happen when we all know that it still probably won't. Without Michelle Williams in play, I have no idea who is going to win Best Supporting Actress. There isn't really a frontrunner or any consensus on who the final five are going to be. It could happen vs. eventual nope.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “The 10th Decade”