Woody Allen to Retire

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Woody Allen to Retire

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:
ALSO boringly predictable.
Project much?

Oh, and at this point, we all know what you’re really saying when you use the word “bitchy.” Homophobe.
There you go again. Obsessed with yourself. Believe what you want if it makes you feel better
and continue to keep that massive chip on your shoulder. It suits you :lol:
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

ALSO boringly predictable.
Project much?

Oh, and at this point, we all know what you’re really saying when you use the word “bitchy.” Homophobe.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:
Reza wrote:
Sabin wrote:In his long career, Allen has received a record-breaking 16 Oscar nominations for Best Screenplay. He has won four Academy Awards, including one for Best Director for Annie Hall (1977). Despite his success, he has always been noted for shunning award ceremonies.

In recent years, he has been blacklisted for many following allegations made by his former partner Mia Farrow that he molested their child. Allen has always denied the allegations and continued to work.
How ironic that after the skirmish with Mia in 1992 he went on to make 29 films receiving 9 Oscar nominations including an Oscar (his third) and it took people in the United States a good 26 years to gather as a mob and decide to boycott him and his films. Absurd.
You’re so predictable, Reza. It’s like you’ve moved into the tedious little space that Marco used to occupy. Every post is about how terrible Americans are as well as the U.S. Why are you so obsessed with American movies if we’re all so awful?
Dude I never said YOU were awful. But then you know EXACTLY what I meant with what I was trying to say about certain elements amongst your country's population. You are, as usual, being your snarky (read that as bitchy) little self. ALSO boringly predictable.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Come on, Flipp. I can understand your comment about his tedious anti-American responses, but the rest was a low blow. We should never discourage someone from sharing their opinions about film, especially not on a board that exists because of that.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Reza wrote:
Sabin wrote:In his long career, Allen has received a record-breaking 16 Oscar nominations for Best Screenplay. He has won four Academy Awards, including one for Best Director for Annie Hall (1977). Despite his success, he has always been noted for shunning award ceremonies.

In recent years, he has been blacklisted for many following allegations made by his former partner Mia Farrow that he molested their child. Allen has always denied the allegations and continued to work.
How ironic that after the skirmish with Mia in 1992 he went on to make 29 films receiving 9 Oscar nominations including an Oscar (his third) and it took people in the United States a good 26 years to gather as a mob and decide to boycott him and his films. Absurd.
You’re so predictable, Reza. It’s like you’ve moved into the tedious little space that Marco used to occupy. Every post is about how terrible Americans are as well as the U.S. Why are you so obsessed with American movies if we’re all so awful?
Last edited by flipp525 on Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Woody Allen's reps are apparently walking his retirement claim back.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Woody Allen to Retire

Post by Sabin »

He's retiring at 50 (films) and 86 (age). This isn't surprising. I'm sure that some of it is due to the lack of mainstream exhibition of his work in the United States as well as a dwindling well of talent that will work with him. But I always suspected he might retire at 50 anyway so it's not a shock. I haven't seen anything post Café Society but when I heard that the protagonist of A Rainy Day in New York's name was Gatsby Welles I thought to myself "Woody's probably too old to be doing this anymore."

Also, I first heard that WASP stands for Woody Allen Summer Project years ago, but it always makes me laugh.

https://deadline.com/2022/09/woody-alle ... 235121601/

Woody Allen has announced that he will be retiring from filmmaking after the release of his next film.

The 86-year-old filmmaker is set to begin production on his final feature in the coming fall and has told a Spanish newspaper he plans for this to be his last one.

In an interview with La Vanguardia ahead of Wasp 22, to be filmed in Europe, Allen said: “My idea, in principle, is not to make more movies and focus on writing.”

He added that his next project will be a novel.

This isn’t the first time Allen has discussed stepping back from the movie business. In a conversation with Alec Baldwin live-streamed on Instagram in June, Allen said he plans to direct “one or two more” films, but also said “the thrill is gone” because of the decline of the theatrical experience.

In his long career, Allen has received a record-breaking 16 Oscar nominations for Best Screenplay. He has won four Academy Awards, including one for Best Director for Annie Hall (1977). Despite his success, he has always been noted for shunning award ceremonies.

His most recent film was Rifkin’s Festival, which grossed just $2.3 million, reaching the U.S. in a limited release. MPI Media Group handled the film, stepping in for Amazon Studios, which pulled its $80 million distribution deal with Allen in 2019.

Earlier this year, Allen described the forthcoming Wasp 22 as “a sort of poisonous romantic thriller” and compared the flick to his 2005’s caper Match Point. The film is set to shoot in Paris with an all-French cast.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “The People”