Every Pixar Film Ranked (Essay)

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Every Pixar Film Ranked (Essay)

Post by Sabin »

Well, Okri for being blunt, but I feel absolutely schooled by your assessment and your list as well as the hotness of your takes. Brave over Toy Story? Luca over Monsters, Inc? Now that warrants several pages of essay-writing more than my rundown.

Full disclosure: ever since I posted my review, I've watched to do an about-face and put The Incredibles back in the no. 2 position before Monsters, Inc. I've also second-guessed my Ratatouille placement as being the slightest bit too high, especially when its pleasures are so much more low-key than Inside Out or WALL*E.
Okri wrote
a) It’s interesting. In my mind, I roughly divide Pixar’s output before and after Toy Story 3. That corporate beast, as Sabin mentions, becomes too dominant. When I look at the output chronologically, I see a higher basement in terms of quality, but not a lot higher. But maybe a little more frequent.

b) Though, to be frank, that’s because I skipped some of the films post 2010. I think the existence of Pixar raised the game for mainstream/animated film. I believe that boosted the idea for the animated film Oscar. And I think that boosted a lot of films/studios that otherwise might not have gotten that kind of excitement. Studio Ghibli and Aardman Studios obviously would’ve been fine and gotten their films in theatres, but GKIDs/Cartoon Saloon/Laika might not have as easily. So even if I haven’t bothered with all the films post-2010, the second decade of the animated film category is a really terrific legacy to have contributed to – and I do feel the second ten years >>> first ten years for Best Animated Film as a whole, even if individual winners range in quality)
I completely agree and I began routinely skipping Pixar (something that I would've once thought of as inconceivable) around the same time. Cars 2 was my jumping off moment. I also hadn't thought about ranking the decades of Best Animated Film winners, but if hard-pressed I might give a slight edge to decade one because the peaks are higher for me and the valleys are a bit better than their reputation (Shrek gets too much hate).

But yes, Pixar absolutely was the driving factor for the creation of the category because its existence started a rise in viable competition to Disney. More and more studios wanted in on the 3D animation game. I don't know what date the announcement to create a new category was made, so I don't know how much credit the film deserves, but let's take a moment to remember Shrek, which managed nominations from BAFTA and the Producers Guild of America for Best Film, a feat no other animated film has matched, and perhaps without the creation of the Best Animated Film category it might've broken into the race.

Sidenote: in my little research for this post, I learned that Shrek was a total side project for Dreamworks and that Jeffrey Katzenberg was so certain that The Prince of Egypt was going to break into the Best Picture race that animators who weren't pulling their weight on that film were "downgraded" to Shrek.
Okri wrote
c) Specifically, I’ve seen Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, Cars and Ratatouille only once and have no desire to revisit them. They’re all on the same “meh” level for me. Some nice moments abound (Ellen Degeneres’ work, the titular sequence in Ratatouille, James Taylor’s song) but that’s really it (and gotta be frank…. I loathe the premise of Ratatouille. I also dislike that moment in EEAAO). As mentioned, seeing them that highly rated suggests I should give them another shot.
As I said, in retrospect I think I put Monsters, Inc. a bit too high. I'm just so charmed by the film that I consistently overlook a slight lack of ingenuity in the second act. I registered my issues with Finding Nemo in my review of it. I like it as a whole but I find it lacking a bit in story construction. But I wouldn't describe it as meh, rather a hearttugger that maybe got a little too much praise at the time.

Ratatouille is Pixar's weirdest film. I've seen it twice as I've tackled this ranking and I still have a difficult time grasping just what exactly it's doing.
Okri wrote
d) I actually gasped when I read that Sabin ranked Brave last. I know that it wasn’t enthusiastically received, but I remember really liking it (I actually bought it on blu-ray). I will say that as I’ve gotten older I can be taken with a specific element or craft and have that practically function as a synecdoche. I adore the voicework, find the score to be a delight and just love the world created. Along with Inside/Out, it’s the post 2010 movie I’ve seen the most.
I hear that. If I were ask to rank Pixar's best designed characters, Merrida would easily make my top ten. I also think Kelly MacDonald's performance is excellent. I enjoyed the world so much that I wish we saw more of it. It's a weirdly castlebound affair for such a fantastical world.
Okri wrote
e) Along that vein, I also didn’t hate The Good Dinosaur. I can acknowledge its faults, but there’s enough that I like. Visually, its among Pixar’s finest works. Mychael Danna’s score might be the best Pixar score ever. It’s a slender story, without a doubt. But I don’t think it’s a bad one.
I can't quite share your enthusiasm but I like knowing there are fans of The Good Dinosaur. It definitely deserves a better reputation than it received, especially amidst a glut of disappointing sequels.
Okri wrote
f) That’s how I feel about Luca, but even more so. I’m surprised at just how taken I was with it. It’s just so effervescent. Again, visually beautiful, superb score (this time from Dan Romer). The adjectives that could fairly be used to describe it (charming, slight, minor) are accurate but feel a little too negative. I’d argue that this is Pixar’s “hangout” movie with it’s small stakes and stories of small lives, but feels like what Jacques Demy would make if he made an animated film.
Luca is a Pixar movie I wish I saw on the big screen. I think that would've made a big difference. There's a lot that I enjoyed about it but I was never quite drawn into its spell. But I won't deny that it has a visual power to it, especially in moments where the sea monsters are unexpectedly revealed. I guess I never quite understood the whole Vespa race thing, like the importance of it? But your praise of it as a hangout movie might be accurate and brought to live more on the big screen.
Okri wrote
g) I’m annoyed that Toy Story 4 exists – the same way I’m annoyed The Hobbit movies. It’s fine (haven’t seen The Hobbit movies, though) but there’s just no need for it. I’m beyond irritated at its existence and I didn’t hate the experience. It, more than any other sequel from that decade of sequels, illustrates the change in Pixar’s DNA.
This was my experience with Toy Story 4 the first time but a second viewing landed with me a bit more. We don't need the thing, but I like it as an exploration of Woody's character. If we must have a fourth Toy Story, I think it's a fine direction. I mostly object to the messiness of the second act which feel like disparate subplots.
Okri wrote
h) Conceptually, though, their most ambitious works are staggeringly ambitious. Inside Out’s conception of distinct emotions and “islands of personality” is sorta reductive, but it’s not juvenile in its theme (emotions get more complicated as you get older and that’s a necessary thing). I don’t love Soul or Coco, but they’re complex, thoughtful works and worlds. We talk about Disney taking over the zeitgeist with their slate and I don’t disagree. But I really don’t think their peaks equal Pixar’s peaks during that time (we should revitalize the Oscar polls and do animated film next). Nothing that I’ve seen from them comes close in terms of ambition or complexity.
I agree with you about Inside Out. I have no issue with the reductiveness of its ideas. We're talking about a movie for children so it has to be simple to grasp. I think they did a fine job. My only problems with Inside Out are about how intermittently fetchy-questy Joy's journey to get the core memories back feels as well as the fact that a much stronger journey would end with Joy realizing that she needs to stop trying to control all the emotions, not just Sadness. It's a fantastic film.

As for Disney vs. Pixar in the zeitgeist, absolutely nothing Disney has put out has matched Pixar's ambition or complexity of Pixar at their peak, but I don't think any studio can match their output in that regard. Something that I love about Pixar is that their films are almost always universal personal journeys of growth that just happen to take place in animated settings. Disney will never do that. They'll always have evil queens and dragons. Pixar never will.
Okri wrote
I don’t really think I need to say much about the top three. The Incredibles is so nimble and just purely entertaining through and through. It’s probably the best crafted screenplay of the lot. Toy Story 2 deepens an entertaining story into something unexpectedly moving. But I’ll side with WALLE as my favourite. I know it’s de rigeur to point out that the second half doesn’t hit the heights of the first. My counter to that is (a) – the first act is probably the best sustained American filmmaking of the decade and (b) the second half is still rollicking entertainment.
I can't really disagree, save for how rollicking I now find WALL*E's second half.

I do agree with you about Toy Story 2. Subsequent rewatches of Toy Story 1 and 2 reveal the degree to which Toy Story became a beloved franchise with that second entry, and moments like Woody watching "himself" on a black and white TV are sublime. Part of me wants to champion it a bit more highly because like Before Sunset its impact seems a bit lessened for today's audience based on what's come after, but it's the film where the toys truly came to mean something. With the first film, there was something less questioned and unknowable about what being a toy meant. I'll mention one moment in particular that I find absolutely haunting: after Buzz and Woody are left at the gas station by Andy (unknowingly), a truck pulls up and they freeze, and a tire comes within half an inch of running over Woody's face. He snaps back to life, reacts in horror, and backs away, leaving the audience to understand that life as a toy is one of constant horrors. Toy Story 2 dug these treasures up though.

Making this list has only made me want to do this project again.

I would love to do Best Animated Film as the next project. I'd love to catch up on the ones that I've missed. I've done a fair bit of that recently.
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

a) It’s interesting. In my mind, I roughly divide Pixar’s output before and after Toy Story 3. That corporate beast, as Sabin mentions, becomes too dominant. When I look at the output chronologically, I see a higher basement in terms of quality, but not a lot higher. But maybe a little more frequent.

b) Though, to be frank, that’s because I skipped some of the films post 2010. I think the existence of Pixar raised the game for mainstream/animated film. I believe that boosted the idea for the animated film Oscar. And I think that boosted a lot of films/studios that otherwise might not have gotten that kind of excitement. Studio Ghibli and Aardman Studios obviously would’ve been fine and gotten their films in theatres, but GKIDs/Cartoon Saloon/Laika might not have as easily. So even if I haven’t bothered with all the films post-2010, the second decade of the animated film category is a really terrific legacy to have contributed to – and I do feel the second ten years >>> first ten years for Best Animated Film as a whole, even if individual winners range in quality)

c) Specifically, I’ve seen Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, Cars and Ratatouille only once and have no desire to revisit them. They’re all on the same “meh” level for me. Some nice moments abound (Ellen Degeneres’ work, the titular sequence in Ratatouille, James Taylor’s song) but that’s really it (and gotta be frank…. I loathe the premise of Ratatouille. I also dislike that moment in EEAAO). As mentioned, seeing them that highly rated suggests I should give them another shot.

d) I actually gasped when I read that Sabin ranked Brave last. I know that it wasn’t enthusiastically received, but I remember really liking it (I actually bought it on blu-ray). I will say that as I’ve gotten older I can be taken with a specific element or craft and have that practically function as a synecdoche. I adore the voicework, find the score to be a delight and just love the world created. Along with Inside/Out, it’s the post 2010 movie I’ve seen the most.

e) Along that vein, I also didn’t hate The Good Dinosaur. I can acknowledge its faults, but there’s enough that I like. Visually, its among Pixar’s finest works. Mychael Danna’s score might be the best Pixar score ever. It’s a slender story, without a doubt. But I don’t think it’s a bad one.

f) That’s how I feel about Luca, but even more so. I’m surprised at just how taken I was with it. It’s just so effervescent. Again, visually beautiful, superb score (this time from Dan Romer). The adjectives that could fairly be used to describe it (charming, slight, minor) are accurate but feel a little too negative. I’d argue that this is Pixar’s “hangout” movie with it’s small stakes and stories of small lives, but feels like what Jacques Demy would make if he made an animated film.

g) I’m annoyed that Toy Story 4 exists – the same way I’m annoyed The Hobbit movies. It’s fine (haven’t seen The Hobbit movies, though) but there’s just no need for it. I’m beyond irritated at its existence and I didn’t hate the experience. It, more than any other sequel from that decade of sequels, illustrates the change in Pixar’s DNA.

h) Conceptually, though, their most ambitious works are staggeringly ambitious. Inside Out’s conception of distinct emotions and “islands of personality” is sorta reductive, but it’s not juvenile in its theme (emotions get more complicated as you get older and that’s a necessary thing). I don’t love Soul or Coco, but they’re complex, thoughtful works and worlds. We talk about Disney taking over the zeitgeist with their slate and I don’t disagree. But I really don’t think their peaks equal Pixar’s peaks during that time (we should revitalize the Oscar polls and do animated film next). Nothing that I’ve seen from them comes close in terms of ambition or complexity.

So, my ranking

Haven’t seen and have no interest in seeing: Cars 2, Cars 3, Monsters University, Finding Dory
Haven’t seen but I probably will eventually: Turning Red, Onward, The Incredibles 2

19. Cars
18. The Good Dinosaur
17. Monsters Inc
16. Lightyear
15. Ratatouille
14. Toy Story 4
13. Finding Nemo
12. Soul
11. Coco

10. A Bug’s Life
09. Toy Story

A little aside – I’ve only seen each once and neither in over twenty years so my memory is hazy and unreliable. But both premises are just terrific.

Second Tier
08. Up
07. Brave
06. Luca
05. Toy Story 3
04. Inside Out

Top tier
03. The Incredibles
02. Toy Story 2
01. WALL-E

I don’t really think I need to say much about the top three. The Incredibles is so nimble and just purely entertaining through and through. It’s probably the best crafted screenplay of the lot. Toy Story 2 deepens an entertaining story into something unexpectedly moving. But I’ll side with WALLE as my favourite. I know it’s de rigeur to point out that the second half doesn’t hit the heights of the first. My counter to that is (a) – the first act is probably the best sustained American filmmaking of the decade and (b) the second half is still rollicking entertainment.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

OscarGuy wrote
I think the reason I rated Cars 3 more highly was because it returned to the type of film the first one was. The heist aspect of 2 seemed too gimmicky. Of course, it also made sense in a round about way.
I totally understand. I think Cars 3 makes a lot of sense as the rightful sequel to Cars. I just personally have very little use for it. I just find this franchise to be about cars in a way that I find tedious.
OscarGuy wrote
I don't care as much for Coco. I don't know what it is about the film, but it feels like a bit of a formula, but I liked Encanto in spite of those same reasons, so I don't know. Maybe it's the music of Coco that put it in the detriment column. That original song was forgettable and since the entire film revolved around that one track, it certainly muted my interest in and ability to appreciate the film as a whole.
To be honest, I struggle a little bit with how much I like Coco, but generally speaking numbers 16-9 are more or less interchanbeable for me. There is a draggy quality to Coco that keeps me just shy of being entranced but I find Miguel's journey with Hector to be intruging and the family drama unexpected.

(In fact, I'm switching A Bug's Life and Coco back)
OscarGuy wrote
There are times when I feel Monsters University is better than Monsters Inc, but those are fleeting moments. I didn't care that much for Luca.
Monsters University does have a handful of moments that are just excellent but you have to get through some pretty generic college satire to get there. Mike and Sulley are good company though.

Luca just never opened up for me.
OscarGuy wrote
As to Good Dinosaur, I would probably compare it to what the mediocre Disney animated films were. Not as bad as Home on the Range, but not as good as Titan A.E. Pixar did take a turn towards the Disney formula once the Disney brass got their hands into it. That's one of the reasons why I felt all the sequels seemed a bit half-baked (except two of the three Toy Story sequels). Inside Out was the exception rather than the rule, when it used to be the rule rather than the exception.
I don't disagree with you about The Good Dinosaur. I'll just say I was also swayed a bit by how dazzling the visuals are which worked reasonably well with how light the story is.
OscarGuy wrote
Meanwhile, Disney has managed to revamp their own output where it's now regularly better than the Pixar stuff. It's such a strange swap, but I'd take Wreck-It Ralph and Big Hero 6 over all but maybe two recent Pixar films. It's very interesting to see Disney's animation trends. They certainly go in waves and that's why I think Pixar's struggling right now, they've started following the same SIN wave trajectory and have decidedly hit the fallow period.
I'm not quite as high on Wreck-It-Ralph (which I need to see again; I liked the trailer more) or Big Hero 6 as you probably are, but I can't argue with the fact that Disney has absolutely eclipsed Pixar in the zeitgest. A lot of this has to do with the fact that John Lasseter oversaw those films creatively when he left Pixar for Disney. I don't think Pixar has ever managed to replace him as a top level guy. But now that Lasseter is gone from Disney following his #MeToo accusations, we'll see how they do without him and how Skydance does with him.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think the reason I rated Cars 3 more highly was because it returned to the type of film the first one was. The heist aspect of 2 seemed too gimmicky. Of course, it also made sense in a round about way.

I don't care as much for Coco. I don't know what it is about the film, but it feels like a bit of a formula, but I liked Encanto in spite of those same reasons, so I don't know. Maybe it's the music of Coco that put it in the detriment column. That original song was forgettable and since the entire film revolved around that one track, it certainly muted my interest in and ability to appreciate the film as a whole.

There are times when I feel Monsters University is better than Monsters Inc, but those are fleeting moments. I didn't care that much for Luca.

As to Good Dinosaur, I would probably compare it to what the mediocre Disney animated films were. Not as bad as Home on the Range, but not as good as Titan A.E. Pixar did take a turn towards the Disney formula once the Disney brass got their hands into it. That's one of the reasons why I felt all the sequels seemed a bit half-baked (except two of the three Toy Story sequels). Inside Out was the exception rather than the rule, when it used to be the rule rather than the exception.

Meanwhile, Disney has managed to revamp their own output where it's now regularly better than the Pixar stuff. It's such a strange swap, but I'd take Wreck-It Ralph and Big Hero 6 over all but maybe two recent Pixar films. It's very interesting to see Disney's animation trends. They certainly go in waves and that's why I think Pixar's struggling right now, they've started following the same SIN wave trajectory and have decidedly hit the fallow period.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

OscarGuy wrote
I don't object to most of your ranks. I haven't seen Lightyear, so I'm not able to comment. I love that someone else enjoys A Bug's Life as much as I do. It definitely gets a bum wrap. I think Soul is rated a bit low. I consider it top-tier Pixar and certainly the best one since Inside Out. I also think you've rated Good Dinosaur too highly. That one's a stinker. I like the first Cars a lot, but the sequels weren't very good, though at least the third one was much better than the second.
I almost had A Bug's Life at no. 10, but I think it's just a little too skimpy in the clear light of day to put ahead of Coco, but I think its relative fleetness is a virtue. I also love the ample supply of dark humor in early Pixar. Near the top of my list of funniest Pixar moments is the little ant children's performance of the "Bug Warriors" saving the day and then enacting brutal deaths. I also think Flik is given a little too much flak in the "boring protagonist" department but some of that is due to Dave Foley's deft acting, turning this tiny ant into a polite Canadian.

As I menitoned at the top of my review, 16-9 are quite ambitious, quite good films that didn't quite connect for me. They're all B to A- range (Finding Nemo might be A-) but any could rise as the years go by. I really wrestle with Soul. It's story (for me) is too muddled and it's possible that because I didn't see it on the big screen it never quite unlocked as a purely emotional work. I think it needed to commit a bit more to being Joe's story or 22's. But it's such a well-meaning (I'm a sucker for after-life films), gorgeous piece of work that I hope to feel otherwise in the future.

I think The Good Dinosaur has a few merits that are worth discussing. It's a big missed opportunity but for what it is (a cute little scribble) it probably deserves a bit better. I don't think Pixar has really made any outright stinkers.

Were I to break up the Cars films, I might put Cars 1 ahead of Finding Dory, Incredibles 2, Lightyear, and The Good Dinosaur depending on my mood if only because it has a clear sense of purpose. I just find it so dull. And to be honest, I'm actually not sure if I like Cars 3 significantly more than Cars 2. Cars 2 has a wackadoo "What am I looking at right now?" quality to it whereas Cars 3 is just an empty genre riff, but I could see a fan of Cars 1 really liking it.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't object to most of your ranks. I haven't seen Lightyear, so I'm not able to comment. I love that someone else enjoys A Bug's Life as much as I do. It definitely gets a bum wrap. I think Soul is rated a bit low. I consider it top-tier Pixar and certainly the best one since Inside Out. I also think you've rated Good Dinosaur too highly. That one's a stinker. I like the first Cars a lot, but the sequels weren't very good, though at least the third one was much better than the second.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I should’ve wrote at the top that this is more of a list for people who are very familiar with Pixar and have a sort of close relationship with those films. It wasn’t designed to be a gateway into these films. It was a rewatch as much for my own experience in understanding what they are, why they work, why they don’t. It came out a bit denser than I thought it would.

Love to know anyone’s favorites or biggest disagreements.
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

What a delightful, surprising read. I feel like I should revisit a couple of those that I didn't grock with the first time around; feel defensive of my undersung favourites; the exact response a rumination like this should inspire.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Ok, I just read through your entire post and save for the top 3 you have dissed every single film in more ways than one.

You just saved me hours of viewing these 'toons.

Best to concentrate on the Foreign Film nominees instead. :lol:
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I usually avoid 'toons like the plague but thanks for your post, Sabin, as I hope to watch these films now.

Of the list below I've seen the Toy Story franchise, Nemo, Coco, Dory, and Brave.

My problem is finding time to watch - although I certainly chalk up a whole bunch of crap. Some years ago I posted a very long list of unseen Foreign Film Oscar nominees. I have found over 60 of them yet find myself procrastinating.

Someday.....before death!!
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Can't wait to read the whole thing.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Every Pixar Film Ranked (Essay)

Post by Sabin »

No idea if this is the right place for this or if anyone will see it in this place.

This was a foolish use of my time, lol, but I recently rewatched every Pixar film and ranked them 1-26. I did so in anticipation of the release of Lightyear which is as much a non-event as Pixar has ever put out, which only (sadly) goes to show that we're well past the point in history where a Pixar movie is a culturally-unifying event. There was a good swath of time where just about the one thing we could all agree on was the fact that when Pixar was going to put out a movie, it was going to be something special. Through new technology, timely corporate mandate (no Broadway Songs! no Princess! no Bad Guys! no "I Want!"), and cult of personality including John Lasseter, Joss Whedon, and Steve Jobs, Pixar inspired corporate brand loyalty for a swatch of time like we've rarely experienced in film. Their films seemed rarely concerned with appealing to children but rather adults who recall childhood, like $200 million independent films with state of the art animation. Today, they alternate between their more ambitious efforts and feeding the corporate beast of Disney in an era where the latter has far surpassed the former with films like Frozen, Moana, and Zootopia (overseen by Lasseter himself), and a new guard of Pixar voices are rising through the ranks with a slightly approach. Pixar used to tell stories that placed emphasis on magical worlds and today it's more the protagonists (of Luca, of Turning Red) that seem a bit more magical. But iff the era of Pixar has passed, their impact likely never will if only because 3D is here to stay.

In honor of their 26th feature, I've ranked all the Pixar films. Roughly 26-22 are the only ones I would say I actively dislike. 21-17 are varying degrees of fine. 16-8 are all good to quite good films, all works of ambitious personal expression that for one reason or another I just don't love. Either they're too skimpy or messy, but whose merits are knockout and could easily rise with time. 7-4 are all Top Tier Pixar, excellent movies that I could reshuffle without a second though and could (and will) watch again and again throughout my life. 3-1 and pretty set for me. I'll just preface this by saying I was hoping for some out there takes that diverge from popular consensus, and... I... have none. Enjoy!

26. Brave
Choosing the worst Pixar film is hard because it's been such a fall from grace over the last twelve years as they've had to alternate between original visions and feeding the corporate beast. There are so many sequels to choose from let alone franchises that have become unwelcomely dominant (see below). The reason I'm choosing Brave is because Pixar was supposed to be feeding the corporate beast in order to protect original stories like Brave, making it disappointing in a different kind of way. Pixar was built on creative systems (laid out in Ed Cantmull’s excellent Creativity Inc.) to ensure inspiration, storytelling confidence, and replace any departure at the company. Much could be said about the success of those systems after twenty-five years, but Brave is a total system’s breakdown. Forget about the backstage drama behind Brenda Chapman’s firing: no hard choices were made with this story. It’s an endless first act. It’s unclear who Merrida is or how she needs to change. She’s a fantastic design and voice in search of a character. Her mother is turned into a bear a staggering forty-five minutes into the movie, far too late to do anything with her. And the story is unforgivably small for its world. What could have been a transformative journey of understanding between a girl and her mother is a total muddle that still stings after ten plus years in a different way than shitting on the Cars franchise.

25. - 23. The Cars Movies
Okay, here we go. Look, at the end of the day, I don’t care that this universe (possible dystopian future) doesn’t make much sense or that the Cars metaphor is a shallow to non-existent text (compared to Toy Story). The problem is these movies are boring and I hate watching them. I’ll say this: John Lasseter’s desire to explore nostalgia for a simpler time through a Doc Hollywood story in Cars 1 isn’t a bad idea. It’s just boringly told, devoting ten minutes to a single race (rather than selling us on this world) and failing to get to Radiator Springs before the twenty-five minute mark. That’s… just too long. And it sets itself up for sequels so poorly that each subsequent entry is just empty genre riffs. It’s sad that what once looked like a rare whiff on an unparalleled winning streak has now become a company staple.

22. Finding Dory
I would like to take a poll to see which moment of Pixar's oeuvre broke the most trust with audiences, and if anything came close to the final act of Finding Dory (where Dory and Hank, hijack a truck full of fish, and driving it into the ocean) I'd be astonished. There are many problems with Finding Dory but at the heart of it is that the Marine Life Institute is so boring. The film practically screams out for “Escape from Evil Sea World” shenanigans, but instead it’s a flatlining experience punctuated by admittedly adorable moments of Baby Dory. It gives new meaning to the word “Forgettable.”

21. Incredibles 2
Speaking of Forgettable. I couldn’t have been less interested in a sequel to Finding Nemo but I’ll concede that they found a premise (Dory seeking her lost parents) that was about as good as one could have hoped for. Incredibles 2 had the opposite problem. I was quite interested in a sequel to Brad Bird’s smart 2004 original and yet they offered me just about the one film I didn’t want. There’s nothing as meaningful or relatable as Bob return to superhero-ing-as-mid-life-crisis. Instead, it feels like an empty genre riff (social media as nemesis in retro-future) that at the very least represented a meaningful one-two punch alongside Spider-Verse that superheroes might have a better future in big screen animation.

20. Lightyear
Again, here for a Buzz Lightyear movie, just not this one. I wrote about this elsewhere on the board. It’s a film with an identity crisis about what it is and what it offers to fans of Buzz Lightyear. Twitter summed it up best: https://twitter.com/thebigstevesy/statu ... 2630480899

19. The Good Dinosaur
Pixar’s other “Troubled Production.” If Brave is a tangled mess of passions, it’s unclear what story Bob Peterson originally wanted to tell. It’s a fantastic cold open premise (What if the meteor passed over the dinosaurs?) in search of a story that can match it. You’d think CUT TO: Dinotropolis. But instead, it’s Little Home on the Paleolithic Prairie, a boy and his dog story where the boy is a dinosaur and the dog is a boy, and surprise! It kinda works. There’s a lot left under-developed in this world and the seams are bursting through in this episodic yarn, but The Good Dinosaur is one of the rare Pixar misfires where there fact that it’s not up to standards makes it a bit more interesting. It’s also a gorgeous, photorealistic vision of the prehistoric west.

18. Luca
The film most likely to rise on subsequent viewings. There’s something that hasn’t yet unlocked for me about this skimpy tale about a sea monster who finds a friend in a fellow sea monster and the two become entranced with procuring a vespa in a summer they’ll never forget. What I keep coming back to are the gorgeous sea monster designs and the most gorgeous water I’ve ever seen in a film. Hopefully it becomes more on subsequent viewings.

17. Monsters University
I’d like to take this opportunity (while discussing Pixar’s most forgotten film) to discuss something that Pixar does better than just about anyone. At their best, they are great at taking their character(s) through an emotional personal journey that reaches a moment of existential crisis at the end of the second act. In the case of Monsters University, a pretty routine college campus comedy (another genre riff) that reaches a surprisingly moment of personal crisis for Mike Wazowski: at the end of the second act, he learns that no matter what he does, no matter how hard he tries, he will never be scary. This is a deeply resonant lesson for anyone who has ever had to face the music on their dream. The only problem is one must wade through one hour of generic college comedy to get there, but one could do much worse for company than Sulley and Mike.

16. Soul
The first film about A Guy Named Joe who’s re-incarnated for some unfinished business who has no real unfinished business. Soul is one of Pixar’s biggest swings and even though it’s only two years old, I wrestle with it quite a bit. I still think what should be a pretty clear-cut story of a man who missed his shot at fame and must learn to appreciate the bigger difference he makes (as a teacher) instead winds up an overly-busy therapy session about learning to smell the roses (in a movie about escaping death?) that never quite gets into a flow state. But increasingly with every viewing, it works as a beautiful sensory/emotional experience. Souls so cute you could eat them. The Jerry’s. One of the all-time great visions of heaven, by which I mean The East Village. Plus, it’s the first Pixar film to feature Bob Dylan music, so fitting for a man knocking on heaven’s door.

15. Up
There is something so contradictory about Pixar’s most earthbound, ornery protagonist (78-year-old Carl Fredericksen) launching their most magically realistic adventure. Watching Up, I never quite believe any of it is happening, but it almost succeeds in selling me on the fact that it’s not meant be taken seriously (almost). I can almost convince myself that it occupies a liminal space between the real and unreal as a projection of the turmoil inside Carl’s heart as he refuses the call to adventure (the House floating away is a retreat, not an acceptance) and encounters ghosts from his past on the road to change. The child he couldn’t have. The hero he couldn’t live up to. Wishes from his wife he never understood… I don’t know what the dog is. Whenever Up is following the plot of that stupid bird, I tune out. Whenever Up is trained on Carl’s face (one of Pixar’s greatest achievements) as he reconciles his current station after some 78 years of disappointment, it’s a testament to the evergreen power of change.

14. Onward
Pixar’s best premise since Inside Out. Onward imagines a road trip between two brothers through their world of fantasy and monsters that has gone suburban and has since lost its magic as the centuries have rolled, well, onward. Cue the unicorns fighting over trash. It’s such a great idea that the fact that it never quite gets out of second gear (Barley needed to give a few story notes) doesn’t ruin the fun. While I wish their journey of bringing magic back to a world where Dungeons & Dragons is a sacred text felt a bit bigger in scope, the emotional beats of the brothers’ journey hit hard, especially as Ian learns that he’s always had a father in his life in the form of his screw-up brother.

13. Toy Story 4
A grower for me. At first, I couldn’t get past how the second act felt more patched together than a toy on its fourth owner, let alone the fact that I didn’t need to say goodbye to these characters again. On a second viewing, I was more able to appreciate how yet again they’ve found more dreams and nightmares to dig up in the toy metaphor. This time, it’s two parts middle-aged romance and one part emancipation narrative (such a rich text!) as Woody — Pixar’s dearest character — is driven towards the unthinkable: that he doesn’t need to belong to anyone but himself. It’s more successful as a chapter we didn’t know we wanted than a goodbye we certainly didn’t need in 2019. Points for Forky, and the opening between Woody and Bo Peep which is one of Pixar’s most beautiful stretches of film.

12. Turning Red
What made Pixar stand apart from other animation studios is they are unusually concerned with the human condition, which they would explore with tour-guide-y representatives through fantastical worlds. Today as their shorts directors have moved onto features, their focus has shifted a bit towards fantastical individuals in contrast to human worlds and Domee Shi’s debut feature is the best of them. It’s not perfect; the metaphor gets a bit muddied, and it arguably peaks when Mei’s Mother chases her through school, but with its personal story, visual gusto, and wonderful character creation (the Panda is always a snuggle-worthy sight), Turning Red has a secret weapon that might prove to be Pixar’s purest path forward: the uniting power of cringe.

11. Coco
For all of Pixar’s memorable characters, they’ve come up a bit short in the world-building department. Enter: The Land of the Dead, from Coco, a gorgeous cultural celebration that’s as warm a vision of death as any since Defending Your Life. But as written by Keith Watson on Slant Magazine, it hides a darker undercurrent. It’s a place of two deaths: the first, a reunion of family and culture; the second as cold a fate imaginable, being forgotten by the Land of the Living forever. It marries perfectly with quite a good family story of secrets and betrayal that manages some real surprises along the way, culminating with as beautiful a moment (ft. Mama Coco) as any Pixar has produced. That said, I’d be lying if I didn’t think it dragged a little too much.

10. A Bug’s Life
The knock on Pixar is that their first wave of films were basically “What if ___ had feelings?” It’s no a coincidence that this basic question drove their strongest winning streak. I think it’s what they do best. And although time has been crueler to A Bug’s Life than any of their other films (it returns none of the visual splendor it brought into 1998 with whatever passes for BDE in the insect kingdom), it gets more than a few things right that today’s Pixar films could learn a lesson from, not least of which including one of their most hissable bad guys, Hopper. Far too many Pixar films feature characters who tumble out of safety into the great unknown only to return back changed (Inside Out, Soul, Coco) in a neat bow. A Bug’s Life understands the strength of a punch to the nose in the name of worker’s rights. It’s too skimpy to be great Pixar but it deserves far better than to be lumped alongside Forgotten Pixar with The Good Dinosaur. I’m allowed to be nostalgic about this wee thing about wee things.

09. Toy Story 3
Back in 2010, we lined up to watch and join Andy in saying goodbye to our childhood and enter adulthood, and this is probably where the story should’ve drawn to a close (even though 4 revealed more grace notes than I initially appreciated). The Toy Story franchise is a thing held dearest by Millennials. What better way to end it than by fittingly centering it around the idea of nostalgia, as Andy is sent off into the world, no idea the doomscape that he – or we – would be inheriting? Taken as an individual chapter, there’s something paradoxical to the trilogy-ification of Toy Story. More so than Cars 2, it represents for me the turning point of Pixar, where they went from being independent purveyors of existential crisis to corporate Beast-feeders. You can tell from the rehashing of old devices, crude humor (homophobic Ken jokes, announcing we hadn’t entirely left the era of Shrek), and a whiff of wheel-spinning in the second act. It’s the first film where characters felt moved about from one plot development to another like, well, toys. How does Andy choosing Woody over the other toys not provide any emotional spine? And yet it’s the Millennial moment where it went from being one or two great movies to arguably the most beloved film franchise of a generation. I am nostalgic for this film about nostalgia.

08. Finding Nemo
The first Pixar film that courted “O” talk — and it probably should’ve happened. Andrew Stanton has one big strength and one big weakness. His strength is that he’s excellent at building relationships that you care about. More than any other Pixar film, his films thrive on building loving relationships that you care about. Dory may have taken over the franchise, but the secret to Finding Nemo’s success was in how deeply it made audiences experience the father-son relationship between Marlin and Nemo without picking sides: Marlin’s protective love for his disabled son, Nemo’s desire for freedom, and their search for each other. The first act is such strongly-developed character-writing that it doesn’t really matter what happens on their journey back to each other… and that’s sort of Andrew Stanton’s one big weakness. He’s not the best at plot. The story is episodic “overcoming your fear” vignettes, no clear idea presented about the ocean (like the toys, the bugs, the monsters), you’d be forgiven for not remembering Nemo’s third act of bravery. It may not be A-Tier Pixar but it’s still one of their warmest heartbreakers.

07. WALL*E
Speaking of… This rating is a little big deceptive. I’m open to the idea that it’s Pixar’s best film. Heck, I’m open to the idea that it isn’t just one of the greatest films in the history of animation but one of the great films of the twenty-first century. But here comes the dreaded sentence fragment I’ve so resisted for the last fourteen years: “…at least for the first forty minutes.” In 2008, I was willing to admit deep down in my heart that the stretch of film aboard the Axiom was at the very least less inspired than that magical first act. Oscar voters were right to overlook Andrew Stanton’s screenplay. Once aboard the Axiom, the film fails to provide proper opposition to WALL*E’s believe in true love (that Wheel thing doesn’t work), its green message of humanity re-finding its purpose fits awkwardly, WALL*E’s third act sacrifice of getting crushed is about as disappointing as Captain Kirk getting killed by a bridge in Star Trek: Generations, and (how shall I put this) I no longer buy their vision of humanity becoming complacent once becoming glued to screens. How do I reconcile those meaningful things against how exciting the filmmaking is or how impossibly winning the love story is? I think WALL*E is probably Pixar’s greatest film. I’m just not convinced it’s their best.

06. Toy Story 2
Toy Story 2 occupies a strange place in Pixar’s canon. Its most ardent devotees hold it as their crowning achievement, and it’s not hard to see their point. Toy Story may have kicked open the door but Toy Story 2 is where it became the rare franchise you can trust. It’s where the toy metaphor became Pixar’s richest text. Through answering the most pertinent overhanging questions of the previous film (what happens when children grow up), Toy Story 2 demonstrated that its central metaphor is durable enough to maintain multiple, contradictory meanings often at the same time. And of course, it’s home to the franchise’s most heartbreaking moments. For me, it’s Woody gaining moral clarity through his black & white television-self singing “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” in Tom Hanks’ broken tones. If I’m slightly less bull-ish on the film as a whole than others, it’s because I can still see traces of its straight-to-video form (Woody completing the cliffhanger the world never got to see never packs the oomph it should). I’m not quite comfortable calling it a great film, but it’s a great time. It’s also one of the few Pixar films where the second act is standout in contrast to the third act.

05. Inside Out
There is a crucial punch missing at the end of Inside Out and that is that Joy needs to realize that she is holding all of the emotions back, not just Sadness. Joy is a control freak who needs to let go and let Riley grow. I wish Pixar had dialed this idea in more to create a fullness of arc. Beyond that, this movie wrecks me. Wrecks me. For both its conceptual ingenuity, its generosity of spirit in helping audiences feel less alone with their thoughts in the world, and in its recurring motif of childhood on the ice: at once free and constantly in peril.

While I’m here, let’s have a quick chat about Pixar’s second acts! What does Pixar have in common with Dan Harmon? They’re both obsessed with The Hero’s Journey. Bad guys rarely drive the stories in Pixar films (A Bug’s Life jumps to mind with Hopper), which means that most of their stories are about heroes who start off in a place of comfort, but something dislodges them and they end up on a vaguely circular journey that brings them back to where they came from changed. We see variations on these stories with Inside Out, where Joy has to return with Riley’s missing memories, with the Toy Story franchise where the toys have to return before Andy finds out… pretty much with every Pixar film. They’re generally a good fit because hero’s journeys prioritize personal growth and personal revelation and generally Pixar movies are about imaginary words, so even in their more forgettable films you walk away with a greater understanding of how these characters work — especially in the second act low point. I’m talking about when Buzz learns he’s a toy. When Sulley learns that scaring is bad. When Joy learns that Sadness has a place. As I wrote earlier, these moments are so uniformly strong, I truly wonder how many stories started with that moment and the writers reverse-engineered the rest of the story from there. Even Lightyear has a good one. The downside to these hero’s journeys is that they have to work on several levels at once — as both a literal adventure and a metaphorical journey — and if they don’t, they end up feeling a bit placeholder-y. For example, we remember that Joy must save Riley’s core memories but what does that mean exactly? Increasingly with some of their recent films that had the potential for greatness (Onward, Soul, even to a degree Inside Out), their journeys feel like “journeys.”

04. Ratatouille
It’s also hard to know what to do with this film because fifteen years after its release it’s still hard to know what to make of it. Really, what is its appeal? I think some Pixar films roar out of the gate in contrast to the surrounding fodder and then their appeal diminishes over time, but I don’t get the sense that Ratatouille has grown anything other than more dear as the years have gone on, as partially evidenced by Everything Everywhere All At Once devoting an entire reality to it. I think it’s the closest thing that Pixar has ever done to making what Quentin Tarantino once referred to as “a hangout movie.” The stakes aren’t life and death; it’s just about little people with their little dreams going about their little lives, and it’s fun to spend some time with them. I also think because it made no pretense whatsoever about appealing to children. But I also think that fans suspect that this film is something of a minor miracle that shouldn’t really work at all. On the surface, it feels like some half-remembered cartoon film the 1980s that might’ve been a dream (“Do you remember a cartoon about a rat that learns to cook and helps his human get a girl?”) but in truth it contains a multitude of very smart writing choices by Brad Bird, chief among them: it has two “magic tricks” but hides one of them. Magic Trick #1 is Remy puppeteering Linguini, which is given no explanation whatsoever, which I think is part of its charm. Magic Trick #2 is the idea that a rat can cook, which Brad Bird bakes into the very premise of the film and explores throughout the film: the idea that anybody could cook but not everybody can. It’s just this weird little film that embraces talent and talentlessness that appeals to the Little Chef inside us all. Whenever I watch Ratatouille, I’m always aware of how little I remember but it inspires unexpected emotions of giddiness, warmth, and ultimately fullness. And such inspired scampering animation camerawork!

03. The Incredibles
Eighteen years later, and I still think this is the best film about superheroes I’ve ever seen. Nothing Nolan has put out has changed my opinion. Nothing in the MCU has changed my opinion. Every time I put on Brad Bird’s witty superhero family story, I always expect it to creak or I expect to wince at his exceptionalism kick. I never care. I’m only charmed anew. I’m always impressed at how it juggles two prologues and manages to re-start its first act at roughly the ten minute mark without a moment of gracelessness. I’m always impressed at how successful it is as parodying both tropes from both superhero films and James Bond while managing to be more entertaining than pretty much any I’ve seen in my life — throw in most mid-life crisis films too. I’m always impressed by how it maintains my sympathy on both sides of the marital divide. It’s both the perfect gateway into superhero entertainment as well as the strongest mic drop on the subject, and years of multiverse nonsense has done nothing to dampen its freshness and singular focus on family. I'm putting it at third but it's probably their second most perfect movie.

02. Monsters, Inc.
Such a wonderful film. I think more than any other Pixar film, it best exemplifies everything they do. Warm slightly bickering friendships (the vaudevillian odd couple of Mike and Sulley). Creating new worlds from childhood fears and fantasies (monsters under your bed), turning them upside down with unexpected twists (they’re more scared of us than we are of them) and moral messages (has this ever been put to more satisfying effect than monsters harnessing the green technology of laughter vs. scares?). Dad jokes and awful puns. And they use all of these things to explore deeply meaningful interpersonal relationships, in this case Sulley learning to be a father by taking care of a human child named Boo, possibly the most adorable child I’ve ever seen on film. Pixar has broken ground in bolder ways, but the visual storytelling of watching this big, blue, furry monster go from scared out of his mind of this adorable little child to tucking her into bed as tears well in his eyes that he’ll never see her again is unmatched in as Roger Ebert would say their ability to generate empathy. It’s not quite a perfect film. Unlike The Incredibles, there’s a little too much water-treading in the second act as Mike and Sulley try to find Boo and the business with the scream extractor never quite lands with the power that it should. But spirit of generosity in Monsters, Inc. (and Pete Docter, their sweetest soul) wins out for me, in its belief in the power of personal change and in better worlds.

01. Toy Story
Maybe you had to be there in the 90’s to witness with gaped jaw the bravery of this tightrope walk, announcing a new path forward for animation (and entertainment) like the rifle shot opening of “Like a Rolling Stone.” It defined the brand right out of the gate. And it’s that mix of new and old that defined a brand right out to the gate, of the latest technology and corny jokes in a classic Hollywood two-hander, except how many classic two-handers were really this good? It’s their most breathless narrative. Every twist in the plot feels meaningful and yet inevitable. Every character and idea about their subject matter is a 10/10. Later entries in the series would mine more thematic depths, but Toy Story 1 has the divine comedy of a toy who fears being replaced by a toy who doesn’t know he’s a toy, both of them locked into conflict for one time only. I understand dismissing it as a primer with its dated animation and occasionally mean humor (the toys turn on Woody so fast!). At this point, it probably has less in common with other Pixar films than it does with classic Hollywood game-changers, but I think that’s what makes it soar above the pack. There’s a higher calling at work in this film that’s clear in every frame: to make you emotionally care about a visual effect like it’s real life as if the future of the industry depends on it. Sitting in that packed theater in 1995, I did. Watching it again all these years later, I still do.
Last edited by Sabin on Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “Other Film Discussions”