Telecast Discussion

For the films of 2021
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Telecast Discussion

Post by Reza »

Greg wrote:
flipp525 wrote:I'm curious what older stars like Meryl, Harrison Ford, Frances McDormand, Emma Thompson, etc. would have done in that situation. You’ll notice that a lot of the “old guard” was not in attendance this year. Lots of newbies. Frances in particular probably would have walked out or refused to present the award. I can tell you right now that Meryl would not have participated in a standing ovation.
Meryl Streep gave Roman Polanski a standing ovation when he won Best Director.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXnNOBj26lk 1:05
Americans had not "woken up" in 2002. They are fully awake now..........to the point of absurdity.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

flipp525 wrote:I'm curious what older stars like Meryl, Harrison Ford, Frances McDormand, Emma Thompson, etc. would have done in that situation. You’ll notice that a lot of the “old guard” was not in attendance this year. Lots of newbies. Frances in particular probably would have walked out or refused to present the award. I can tell you right now that Meryl would not have participated in a standing ovation.
Meryl Streep gave Roman Polanski a standing ovation when he won Best Director.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXnNOBj26lk 1:05
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Sonic Youth wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
So even if Smith is nominated for his runaway-slave performance in Emancipation, which is certainly possible if and when Apple+ releases it this year, he’ll be persona non grata at the 2023 Oscars. As well as the 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028, 2029, 2030, 2031 and 2032 Oscars.
Reminds me of the blood donation site in Flint Michigin which is only open on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
Are their hours 8AM, 9AM, 10AM, 11AM, noon, 1PM, 2PM, 3PM,4PM, and 5PM?
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

dws1982 wrote:Just as much as the "this is excessive" comments on social media, I've seen a lot of "this is nothing!" comments. "All this is means is he doesn't have to sit through a four hour show."
Anything less that rescinding his Oscar or forbidding him from winning another one is seen as a slap on the wrist.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Is he still mum on what truly possessed him to lash out at Chris Rock? Or is he sticking to the story where on the spur of the moment he did it to defend the honor of Lady Macbeth.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Just as much as the "this is excessive" comments on social media, I've seen a lot of "this is nothing!" comments. "All this is means is he doesn't have to sit through a four hour show."

That's where I take exception. Smith was, up until a couple of weeks ago, a popular actor who was going to win a fairly popular Best Actor award. If he had given a crowd-pleasing speech, I think this would've set up the "elder statesman" phase of his career very nicely. I think he would've turned into a Denzel Washington or a Tom Hanks--one of those people who is frequently seated front-and-center at these events, might even get referenced in an acceptance speech occasionally, will always be reliable for a few cutaways during the show. But now he won't be that and never will be. If I'm his publicist, I would begin a big redemption tour, and if that means checking into some type of rehab facility for anger management, so be it.
andrew
Graduate

Post by andrew »

I don't know if Russell Crowe was officially banned for his post BAFTA scuffle in 2002 but he's not been nominated for a BAFTA or Oscar since (over 20 years now) after 3 straight nominations in a row for both.

If it was just down to performances I'm sure he would have had at least one further nomination since then (Master & Commander) & maybe more.

So maybe Will Smith will just be conveniently overlooked in the future even if he gives another award worthy performance.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Sabin wrote:For what?
My question was mostly just to have fun with this, to be honest. I find this whole thing super weird and am basically a sponge for people's opinions. I actually think the show was uniquely terrible and I skipped last year's.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:So all will be forgiven in 10 years and he will be welcomed back into the fold. Just like that "vile free-love cultist" and "powerful influence for evil" - Ingrid Bergman was after being exiled.

Dear Denzel will probably exorcise the demon that came over Will and will announce him to a cheering audience at the 2031 Oscars where the American audience will accord Smith another standing ovation. And everyone will live happily ever after.

The important question to ponder is if the bald Lady Macbeth will still be around Will 10 years from now.
As you should know, our beloved Ingrid was never officially exiled.

Anything can happen, of course, but I don't think Denzel is an exorcist, although I can see a scenario where Will is forgiven by the general public due to something or another and the Academy welcomes him back with open arms. I think that, though, will take something extraordinary.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Big Magilla wrote:
So even if Smith is nominated for his runaway-slave performance in Emancipation, which is certainly possible if and when Apple+ releases it this year, he’ll be persona non grata at the 2023 Oscars. As well as the 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028, 2029, 2030, 2031 and 2032 Oscars.
Reminds me of the blood donation site in Flint Michigin which is only open on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

For what?
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Man, what happens if Jada Pinkett Smith enters the Oscar race one year...
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

So all will be forgiven in 10 years and he will be welcomed back into the fold. Just like that "vile free-love cultist" and "powerful influence for evil" - Ingrid Bergman was after being exiled.

Dear Denzel will probably exorcise the demon that came over Will and will announce him to a cheering audience at the 2031 Oscars where the American audience will accord Smith another standing ovation. And everyone will live happily ever after.

The important question to ponder is if the bald Lady Macbeth will still be around Will 10 years from now.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

From Hollywood Elsewhere:

The Motion Picture Academy announced today (Friday) that as punishment for slapping Chris Rock during the recent Oscar telecast, Will Smith is banned from attending all Academy events and particularly the Oscars, for the next 10 years.

So even if Smith is nominated for his runaway-slave performance in Emancipation, which is certainly possible if and when Apple+ releases it this year, he’ll be persona non grata at the 2023 Oscars. As well as the 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028, 2029, 2030, 2031 and 2032 Oscars. Smith will be 64 years old when he’s permitted to once again attend the Oscar ceremony in 2033.

Will the Oscars even be a thing ten years hence?

In an open letter, Academy President David Rubin and CEO Dawn Hudson said that the 3.27 Oscar ceremony was “overshadowed by the unacceptable and harmful behavior we saw Mr. Smith exhibit on stage,” and that the ten-year ban “is a step toward a larger goal of protecting the safety of our performers and guests and restoring trust in the Academy. We also hope this can begin a time of healing and restoration for all involved and impacted.”
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I finally watched the whole show on abc.com as I dropped cable and they did not unlock the show for those who do not have a cable provider to sign into until a week after the live broadcast. What I have to add is that, as I suspected, the time taken away from awarding all the categories live mostly meant that time being filled by lame attempts at humor from the hosts and presenters. Even without the Will Smith slap, I found this to be one of the worst Oscar productions.

Return to “94th Academy Awards”