Best Actor

For the films of 2021
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Best Actor

Post by Reza »

I recently read that Will and Jada have an open marriage. And its been like that since their marriage was on the rocks and they decided on this arrangement. Both have openly had affairs with others while staying together.

Wonder if Jada was ever Chris Rock's conquest in the past and which was/is resented by Will.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sabin wrote:I’m torn by the fact that Will Smith was on camera laughing at the joke but then got up to slap Chris Rock. I really do wonder if he saw his wife’s reaction and that made the difference.
Yes it was very obvious. He was good naturedly laughing at the joke as the camera panned him and then the camera showed his wife's face. That was enough to bring on Macho Mouse.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Apparently, Smith was still mad at a joke Chris Rock made when he was hosting in 2015 about Jada being mad about the Oscar’s being like he was mad he wasn’t invited to Rihanna’s panties. “I wasn’t invited.”

I’m torn by the fact that Will Smith was on camera laughing at the joke but then got up to slap Chris Rock. I really do wonder if he saw his wife’s reaction and that made the difference.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Okri wrote:
Not gonna lie Sonic, I wasn't entirely convinced it wasn't staged.
At the time, yeah. But 12 hours later?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Big Magilla wrote:It was not staged. Animosity between the two goes back decades. Why AMPAS chose to bring Chris Rock out in the first place, and why he accepted in the second, is also questionable.
I read somewhere that facing the possibility of handing the oscar to Questlove under best documentary Chris Rock specifically requested to be a presenter of this category
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

taki15 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I don't know if this will ahve an effect on his career, but it sure doesn't help his public persona. And what's with Anthony Hopkins praising his actions before presenting Best Actress?
If Mel Gibson can be rehabilitated then I can't see why Smith can't.
Not to mention that I actually see a fair share of people who actually support him, or at least say they understand his reaction.
Gibson is white, which helps with rehabilitation.

Not gonna lie Sonic, I wasn't entirely convinced it wasn't staged. Just such an odd moment all together.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It was not staged. Animosity between the two goes back decades. Why AMPAS chose to bring Chris Rock out in the first place, and why he accepted in the second, is also questionable.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I'm seeing a lot of Ivermectin-heads claiming it was all staged for ratings.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I certainly can understand his reaction. Chris Rock did go too far with that joke. But he could've waited until commercial break and confronted him backstage, yelled at him from the audience and told him off or maybe even used his acceptance speech to defend his wife. Going up there and slapping him is unacceptable behavior.
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Big Magilla wrote:I don't know if this will ahve an effect on his career, but it sure doesn't help his public persona. And what's with Anthony Hopkins praising his actions before presenting Best Actress?
If Mel Gibson can be rehabilitated then I can't see why Smith can't.
Not to mention that I actually see a fair share of people who actually support him, or at least say they understand his reaction.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

taki15 wrote:Can he be reprimanded or punished by the Academy for his outburst?
Will he?
Yes, but I doubt he will be. He could also have been arrested for assault if Chris Rock wanted to press charges, but he refused to file a police report.

On the other hand, why did the Academy bring out Chris Rock? There has long been animosity between him and Smiths. It started when he was a guest star on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Rock was the host six years ago when the Smiths boycotted the Oscars after Jada started her "Oscars Too White" campaign. He said in his remarks then that it may been unfair that Smith wasn't nominated for Concussion, but neither was it fair that he was paid $20 million for Wild Wild West.

I don't know if this will ahve an effect on his career, but it sure doesn't help his public persona. And what's with Anthony Hopkins praising his actions before presenting Best Actress?
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Can he be reprimanded or punished by the Academy for his outburst?
Will he?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Word I heard is, his publicist grabbed him after his outburst and told him to repair the damage. And I guess he sort of tried, but his heart obviously wasn't in it, and his ego took over. I think this could do real career damage to him.

This is a guy who was essentially winning an Oscar because audiences like him, and he made them very much not like him in the process.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

OscarGuy wrote:He ALMOST apologized...but then gave into his vanity. I hope this is the last time I ever hear his name associated with the Oscars.
THIS!!!!
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

He ALMOST apologized...but then gave into his vanity. I hope this is the last time I ever hear his name associated with the Oscars.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “94th Academy Awards”