Bad Ideas Never Die: Eight Awards Bumped from the Oscar Telecast

For the films of 2021
rolotomasi99
Professor

Re: Bad Ideas Never Die: Eight Awards Bumped from the Oscar Telecast

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Okri wrote:And to add on Oscarguy's point, I think we're overestimating the amount having genuinely popular films affects the ratings. The 2019 year had five films score above $100 million and the genuine blockbuster of the bunch was a frontrunner for best actor. Yet 9 million fewer people watched that show than the 2005 show, which had no 100 million dollar grossing films. Now, you can't compare across eras for ratings because everything's cratered, but more people watched American Beauty win than watched Return of the King.
Great point about the difference in ratings between AMERICAN BEAUTY winning Best Picture and RETURN OF THE KING winning four years later. Particularly interesting since there was a clear populist streak of winners in between -- with GLADIATOR, A BEAUTIFUL MIND, and CHICAGO all making north of a $170 m at the domestic box-office.

Why is it we all understand there is nothing the Oscars can really do to stop their slide in the ratings, but the folks in charge of the Academy seem too stupid to get it? :lol:
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Okri wrote:
On the 90th Anniversary show, all they could get were Eva Marie Saint and Rita Moreno from amongst hundreds of past winners. That was shameful.
Presenters at the 90th anniversary awards had 15 previous winners. Warren Beatty, Faye Dunaway, Jodie Foster, Jennifer Lawrence, Eva Marie Saint, Lupita Nyong'o, Rita Moreno, Matthew McConaughey, Nicole Kidman, Sandra Bullock, Christopher Walken, Jane Fonda, Helen Mirren, Mahershala Ali, Viola Davis.
You forgot Emma Stone, but she, Davis, and Ali didn't factor into my count as they were winners in the previous year. Beatty and Dunaway probably wouldn't had been there except as a makeup for the prior year's confusion, but they were so I should have counted them. Same with long ago winners Fonda, Foster, and Walken. Still, for a major anniversary, seven isn't much of a representation of non-recent winners with Saint and Moreno the only ones who weren't active in films at the time although Moreno still had a thriving career on TV.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

And to add on Oscarguy's point, I think we're overestimating the amount having genuinely popular films affects the ratings. The 2019 year had five films score above $100 million and the genuine blockbuster of the bunch was a frontrunner for best actor. Yet 9 million fewer people watched that show than the 2005 show, which had no 100 million dollar grossing films. Now, you can't compare across eras for ratings because everything's cratered, but more people watched American Beauty win than watched Return of the King. The Oscars still remain one of the most watched shows on TV. And yeah, last year doesn't count.

So I don't think that more people would watch Dune win than The Power of the Dog etc.
On the 90th Anniversary show, all they could get were Eva Marie Saint and Rita Moreno from amongst hundreds of past winners. That was shameful.
Presenters at the 90th anniversary awards had 15 previous winners. Warren Beatty, Faye Dunaway, Jodie Foster, Jennifer Lawrence, Eva Marie Saint, Lupita Nyong'o, Rita Moreno, Matthew McConaughey, Nicole Kidman, Sandra Bullock, Christopher Walken, Jane Fonda, Helen Mirren, Mahershala Ali, Viola Davis.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Dune went day-and-date with HBO/theaters and barely topped $100 million. Its box office was clearly hurt by the streaming potential. And if you look at the top 15 streamed films of 2021, even Don't Look Up isn't among them. They pick things like Red Notice and whatever the latest Sandra Bullock dud is. Gone are the days when Best Picture winners were also box office juggernauts. Can you imagine Out of Africa making over $200 million at the box office today? or Gandhi making over $100 million?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Greg wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:I do wonder if these very public (and frankly embarrassing) ratings woes the Academy is dealing with will influence any voters to pick DUNE for the top prize just to save the telecast.
The reason I doubt this is that if any large number of voters voted in order to help the show's ratings, Spider-Man: No Way Home would have been nominated for Best Picture.
That was bridge too far for everyone. Just like those of us who think the Academy should nominate more comedic performances, but would be horrified if, say, Ryan Reynolds in FREE GUY was nominated this year.

I am just thinking about what I would do if I had a ballot. I would want with all my heart to pick THE POWER OF THE DOG for Best Picture, but as someone who also wants the public to still watch the ceremony without detracting from the Oscar's prestige...I might select DUNE to save the ship. Similarly, while I think SPOTLIGHT and THE SHAPE OF WATER are good Best Picture winners, I would have ultimately chosen THE REVENANT and DUNKIRK respectively to keep people watching. I would not, however, ever pick something like GREEN BOOK since we saw how it actually diminished the Academy Awards in the eyes of both cineastes and the general public.

Whatever folks think of DUNE as a movie going experience, it certainly would age better as a Best Picture winner than GREEN BOOK or GLADIATOR. I definitely prefer it over the next most popular nominee this year, DON'T LOOK UP. Oddly, WEST SIDE STORY would seem like a good compromise winner...except it was a huge flop.

I know IMDB voter counts are not the best barometer, but it is all we have during the Covid era:
Dune - 493,723
Don't Look Up - 440,797
The Power Of The Dog - 116,121
Nightmare Alley - 65,588
King Richard - 53,258
CODA - 52,557
Licorice Pizza - 37,212
Belfast - 31,509
West Side Story - 30,626
Drive My Car - 14,454

Obviously, the above numbers are skewed towards those passionate about film rather than the general public, but that might make it a better reflection of Academy voters than just domestic box-office (at least in our current situation).

Interestingly, while I think ROMA being a Netflix release might have hurt its Best Picture chances, it seems it might actually help THE POWER OF THE DOG since it allowed the film to be the third most watched nominee. I bet Spielberg is now wishing he had cut a deal with one of the streaming giants rather than releasing his film exclusively in theaters.

Also, if I had examined the IMDB vote counts prior to the nominations begin announced, I might have guessed NIGHTMARE ALLEY was going to be among the Best Picture ten. :shock:
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Big Magilla wrote:
4. Have the nominees in the non-star categories who are seated in the back of the auditorium lined up on stage as their names are read so that the winner doesn't have to make that long walk to the stage. This can be done during film montages and commercials so as not to disrupt the flow of the show.
They actually do something like this already. The below the line nominees are usually seated at the back but are moved closer to the stage when it’s time for their category to be presented.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It's too late for most of this now, here's the way to do this stuff properly:

1. Sign on a name host with some gravitas a year in advance so he or she can clear their schedule to be available for rehearsals, publicity campaigns, etc.

2. Move the shorts to the scientific awards evening and leave the feature film categories alone.

3. Get as many name presenters as are willing to participate, including actors and actresses who were in strong contention but missed out on the nominations to show that still count.

4. Have the nominees in the non-star categories who are seated in the back of the auditorium lined up on stage as their names are read so that the winner doesn't have to make that long walk to the stage. This can be done during film montages and commercials so as not to disrupt the flow of the show.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

anonymous1980 wrote:
Heksagon wrote:And popular action films aren't contenders for Best Picture, but they do often get nominations for down-ballot categories, Visual Effects in particular. Song nominees often (although not nearly always) include some big stars.

If I could advice them, I would tell them to promote those categories more heavily, rather than devaluing their own awards with "fan favorites" or by sweeping some categories out of sight.
That's why it's hilarious that five of the categories being shunted off-screen are categories where Dune, the biggest theatrical hit among the Best Picture nominees, stand a very good chance of winning: Editing, Sound, Production Design, Score and Makeup. They will deprive Dune fans of seeing their favorite movie sweep below the line.
Maybe thankfully this is a sign that Dune won't be winning these categories.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Found this on Yahoo News:

The eight awards will still be given, but it won't be on the red carpet or during the pre-show. Instead, the live event will begin an hour earlier, and the eight awards will be recorded, then cut into a highlight reel that will be edited into the show later. The affected nominees were invited to a virtual town hall Zoom call with Academy staff before the announcement was made, according to Deadline. One of the participants explained:

Somebody [from the Academy] shared their screen and a clip was played showing how it might look. And basically, they took the 92nd Academy Awards Documentary Short category, and they edited it down, and more or less what was cut out was the applause after each [nominated] film was named, the applause once the winner was announced, and then there was a shot of the winner getting up from their seat, and then under that shot you hear the beginning of their speech. And then it seemed as though the speech had been truncated by about half, using B-roll cutaways as cover. And then it sort of quickly whisked on to the next category. It was edited in a highlight-reel fashion.

Read More: https://www.slashfilm.com/778255/the-os ... paign=clip
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Heksagon wrote:And popular action films aren't contenders for Best Picture, but they do often get nominations for down-ballot categories, Visual Effects in particular. Song nominees often (although not nearly always) include some big stars.

If I could advice them, I would tell them to promote those categories more heavily, rather than devaluing their own awards with "fan favorites" or by sweeping some categories out of sight.
That's why it's hilarious that five of the categories being shunted off-screen are categories where Dune, the biggest theatrical hit among the Best Picture nominees, stand a very good chance of winning: Editing, Sound, Production Design, Score and Makeup. They will deprive Dune fans of seeing their favorite movie sweep below the line.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

anonymous1980 wrote:Call me naive but I think the solution to the Oscars' ratings is rather simple: WORK WITH WHAT THEY HAVE.
I've been thinking along similar lines. I don't want to sound like a marketing professional, but I feel the Academy could do better if they thought more about using the strengths they do have.

Best Picture nominees are no longer box-office hits, but Animated nominees often are. And popular action films aren't contenders for Best Picture, but they do often get nominations for down-ballot categories, Visual Effects in particular. Song nominees often (although not nearly always) include some big stars.

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I think the backlash is strong enough that if they don't scrap it all together, they'll come up with some kind of compromise that will suck less. Perhaps they will actually show the presentation during the red carpet or reduce the number of off-screen categories (like just the Shorts and Makeup).
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I actually got my brainstorm watching the YouTube presentation of the 2013 Tonys that anonymous led us to. Scarlet Johansson referenced not being nominated despite her eligibility that year (for a revival of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof) and Martha Plimpton referenced having gone home empty-handed on her previous nominations, both while presenting major acting awards. I'm sure the five nominated ladies would be fine if something like that were to happen. Ditto the guys.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

The journey I took in this thread.

a) I hate this idea.

b) But Sabin makes a couple of interesting points about how the show could actually be made better

c) And anonymous points out how many different groups can be involved in making this show better without losing all the categories.

d) And Tee rightly points out that this won't solve the thing Oscars are trying to solve

e) But then Magilla makes me all defensive about the people currently being celebrated.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote: Finally, Magilla's take. I'm going to half-agree with you, and half say, You're romanticizing the past. First, the latter: if you look back at the presenters of my early years of watching the Oscars, you'll see there were plenty of non-entities and passing-through starlets -- Elke Sommer, Pamela Tiffin, Virna Lisi...they're not a whole lot different from the nobodies you sniff at today; you were just more familiar with them. Plus, MacDonald Carey -- he was what Jack Valenti became: someone I knew almost nothing about, except he gave out an Oscar every year. And, as far as Kimmel's stunts bringing the show to a new low...again, you're looking through the rose-colored glasses of the past. If I'd hung on to reviews of Oscar shows past, I guarantee you, most of them complained about how bad the show was, how stupid many of the routines were. (Gary Trudeau parodied presenter-patter in Doonesbury back in 1974.) Oh, and, for the record: the selfie was actually the most successful Oscar stunt of out time, as it set records for retweets around the world.

However, where you're not wrong (and this ties in to one of Sabin's big points): there's no question that there are fewer Hollywood legends available to appear on the show, because the older generation (Nicholson, Hackman, Duvall et al.) has aged to the point where they're not suited to public appearances, and the current movie environment has created few stars who have the level of respect and success the heroes of our youths had. Apart from DiCaprio and the off-in-her-own-world Streep, there are no truly respected actors who are consistently viable commercially outside of a Marvel movie. This isn't to say there aren't people who've had multiple successes (Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, etc.), but none at the titan-level Hoffman/Nicholson/Pacino/Fonda/Dunaway held in decades past. This, of course, is partly because Hollywood just doesn't much try to create the kinds of movies that would make such careers possible. Lots of actors would love to work in/create such a niche...but no one outside of DiCaprio has achieved it (and he was simply blessed, to have signed on to an otherworldly blockbuster at a young age, and to have bonded with female fans who follow him most anywhere). I don't know what you do about this...but I will say that moving film editing off he broadcast does nothing to address the issue.
First half - Yes, there were always starlets mixed in with the stars, but not to the extent there is today.

Virna Lisi, however, was not a starlet. She was a full-fledged star the year she made her only Oscar appearance at the 1965 awards. How to Murder Your Wife was a huge hit. She was as welcome then as Ingrid Bergman, Gregory Peck, Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine, Debbie Reynolds, Kim Novak, and the rest of the big-name presenters.

Macdonald Carey I can't explain, but maybe it had something to do with his being a longtime vice president of the Screen Actors Guild. He did appear at a lot of awards presentations but only 3 times at the Oscars for the 1964, 1967, and 1974 awards.

Second half - mostly so, but it's not just the old guys who don't show up. Neither do actors who were in the conversation for nominations but came up empty handed. I would love to see this year's awards kick off with a Best Supporting Actress presentation by Ann Dowd and Martha Plimpton introducing the nominees as "five women you thought were better than us", with Jamie Dornan and Bradley Cooper or Jared Leto doing something similar later on with the men. Daniel Kaluuya and Yuh-jung Youn could then present Best International Film, because they are, you know, international stars. Lady Gaga could present Best Picture.

Return to “94th Academy Awards”