Notable Firsts and Records

For the films of 2021
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: Notable Firsts and Records

Post by Mister Tee »

Uri wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:A record I'd never have thought to look for till I saw it noted somewhere else: this year's best supporting actress slate is, among all slates of acting nominees over these 94 years, the one whose alphabetical listing ends earliest, with Aunjanue Ellis. The previous record was best supporting actor 1965, which ended with Frank Finlay (close second/now third: best actor 1983, where Albert Finney anchored).

The record in the other direction: 2002 supporting actress, for obvious reasons.
Was the opposite record (starting latest alphabetically) set with the 1995 best actress lineup, starting with Sarandon?
You flood me with memories. A quarter century ago, but I remember how startled I was when I was typing up a ballot for our Oscar party and realized Sarandon came first. With good reason: that indeed is the record, and by a lot. Next closest is supporting actor 1956 -- led by Don Murray, a full six letters earlier.

The vast majority of acting rosters -- I'd say over 70% -- begin with letters A-C.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

There are 4 duos of actors nominated for playing married couples this year. It's a record. There were a few cases when there were 3 (1939, 1966, 2001* and 2012), but never 4.

* 2001 might be counted as 3 and a half, since both Dench and Winslet played Jim Broadbent's wife.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

taki15 wrote:
Uri wrote:I guess this is the trivia thread.

Buckley and Colman are the third duo to be nominated for playing the sane character on the same year, following Dench/Blanchet in '98 and Dench/Winslet in '01. And just like the previous two times it happened, Judi Dench is on the nominees list.
You forgot Kate Winslet and Gloria Stuart for Titanic.
Of course. Yet it must be said, in my defense, that the film these two were in is rather forgettable.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

taki15 wrote:

Buckley and Colman are the third duo to be nominated for playing the same character on the same year, following Dench/Blanchet in '98 and Dench/Winslet in '01. And just like the previous two times it happened, Judi Dench is on the nominees list.

Also, Dench and Blanchett weren't in the same movie.
Judi Dench was a nominee the year of Titanic as well.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Speaking of alphabetical listings by category, I have always been fascinated by the symmetry of the nominations of the four B's, the middle two with double B's, who were nominated for Best Supporting Actress of 1938 - Fay Bainter, Beulah Bondi, Billie Burke, and Spring Byington.

It might have been five B's if the previous year's winner Alice Brady, whose film actually opened in 1938 when the L.A. cutoff date was January 12, would have been eligible that year as well. The actual fifth nominee was the long-forgotten opera singer, Meliza Korjus (rhymes with gorgeous).
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Buckley and Colman are the third duo to be nominated for playing the sane character on the same year, following Dench/Blanchet in '98 and Dench/Winslet in '01. And just like the previous two times it happened, Judi Dench is on the nominees list.

Also, Dench and Blanchett weren't in the same movie.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

I guess this is the trivia thread.

Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Mister Tee wrote:A record I'd never have thought to look for till I saw it noted somewhere else: this year's best supporting actress slate is, among all slates of acting nominees over these 94 years, the one whose alphabetical listing ends earliest, with Aunjanue Ellis. The previous record was best supporting actor 1965, which ended with Frank Finlay (close second/now third: best actor 1983, where Albert Finney anchored).

The record in the other direction: 2002 supporting actress, for obvious reasons.
Was the opposite record (starting latest alphabetically) set with the 1995 best actress lineup, starting with Sarandon?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

dws1982 wrote: - It seems impossible but apparently this is the first time since 1976 that two foreign films were nominated in the Screenplay categories.
It has happened four times since 1976 and before this year: Au Revoir Les Enfants and My Life as Dog in 1988; Talk to Her and Y tu mama tambien... in 2002; The Barbarian Invasions and City of God in 2003; Pan's Labyrinth and Letters from Iwo Jima in 2006.

EDIT: So I went down a Wikipedia rabbit hole on this and counted how many times the Academy has nominated more than one non-English language screenplays in the Screenplay categories and I found out that this was a fairly common occurrence in the 1960's and 1970's. Between 1960 and 1980, the Academy has nominated 2 even 3 non-English language screenplays 11 times. But since 1980 to the present, it has only happened five times including this year and also if you count Letters from Iwo Jima.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Flee is the only film in Oscar history nominated for three feature awards. Since there are only four feature categories, that's impressive. There aren't a lot of films that could have done it over the years.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

FilmFan720 wrote:
Greg wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:Spielberg also continued his record of most nominations for their films. His films now have 137 nominations. I have a lot of confidence that is a record that will never be broken, at least in my lifetime!

You're not that old!
Yeah, I meant that I don't see how anyone can top this record, even in the next 50 years. Spielberg made so many movies (one or more a year) which all competed in some way or another -- if not an above the line, they picked up some tech nominations -- over the course of half a century. And he started so young!!
Damien Chazelle COULD do it. His films already have 23 nominations and 10 wins total and he's not even 40 yet. Although he's not quite as prolific as Spielberg was at his age.
Eenusch
Graduate

Post by Eenusch »

Meryl Streep's record for going without an Oscar nomination is four consecutive years...1991, 92, 93, 94.

She ties her own record this year...2018, 19, 20, 21.

If she's not nominated for anything next year she'll beat it.

Yes, don't cry for Meryl!
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Greg wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:Spielberg also continued his record of most nominations for their films. His films now have 137 nominations. I have a lot of confidence that is a record that will never be broken, at least in my lifetime!

You're not that old!
Yeah, I meant that I don't see how anyone can top this record, even in the next 50 years. Spielberg made so many movies (one or more a year) which all competed in some way or another -- if not an above the line, they picked up some tech nominations -- over the course of half a century. And he started so young!!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think he means that there are no active directors who are as prolific as Spielberg who could conceptually catch up in the next 50 years at least.

Here's one that might seem silly, but Tee laid the groundwork: Jane Campion has had three films nominated for Oscars that start with "The P..." - The Piano, The Portrait of a Lady, and The Power of the Dog.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

You're not that old!

Return to “94th Academy Awards”