Who Do You Want to See Host the 94th Oscars?

For the films of 2021

How would you pick?

Tiffany Haddish
6%
Kevin Hart
No votes
Taraji P. Henson
No votes
Tom Holland
11%
Tim Holland and Zendaya
No votes
Tom Holland, Andrew Garfield and Tobey Maguire
No votes
Ice Cube
No votes
Jimmy Kimmel
6%
Melissa McCarthy
22%
Lin-Manuel Miranda
No votes
Queen Latifah
11%
Ryan Reynolds
No votes
Someone else
33%
Anyone else
11%

Total votes: 18

Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Re: Who Do You Want to See Host the 94th Oscars?

Post by Cinemanolis »

some interesting duos
Emma Thompson, Emma Stone
Emma Thompson, Sacha Baron Cohen
Bradley Cooper, Lady Gaga
Melissa McCarthy, Sandra Bullock
Will Smith, Jennifer Lawrence
Ricky Gervais, Rebel Wilson
any combination of this trio: Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, George Clooney
one of these ladies: Bette Midler, Jane Fonda, Glenn Close with one Chris :Chris Hemsworth, Chris Pine, Chris Pratt, Chris Evans
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Big Magilla wrote:
Haddish, Henson and Ice Cube are on the list because they are friends of the producer who wanted to use his friend Kevin Hart last time.
Ice Cube might be friends with God himself but the Academy will never put an anti-vaxxer as host.
Or at least that's what I want to believe.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

criddic3 wrote:I can picture Tom Holland hosting, but I'm not sure how his monologue would go... I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Hugh Jackman come back, or someone else who could do a song-and-dance number. After all, this was a big year for musicals in terms of how many high-profile ones are likely to be nominated somewhere on the ballot ("West Side Story," "Cyrano," "tick, tick... BOOM!"; not to mention others that might not make the list like "In the Heights" or "Annette").
Jackman would be great, but he's tied up with the Broadway revival of The Music Man.

Tom Holland started out as a dancer. He was the original star of London's Billy Elliot the Musical and is slated to play Fred Astaire in upcoming film. David Alvarez was one of the three kids who won a Tony for the role on Broadway. Holland and Alvarez performing the opening number with Holland and Zendaya introducing the songs, and Holland, Garfield and Maguire presenting Best Picture might work but I don't see him carrying the whole show.

I like Whoopi, but I don't think she has the stamina to do what she's done in the past. Queen Latifah might be a good substitute.

Haddish, Henson and Ice Cube are on the list because they are friends of the producer who wanted to use his friend Kevin Hart last time.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I can picture Tom Holland hosting, but I'm not sure how his monologue would go. I could be stubborn and say "Billy Crystal" for a tenth time, but not sure that would help bring a younger audience, unless he was paired with someone like Whoopi Goldberg. If Steve Martin and Martin Short were asked, you'd have to bring Selena Gomez on, too, though "Only Murders in the Building" is a Hulu streaming event rather than a movie. Traditionally, comedians have been the most popular hosts, but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Hugh Jackman come back, or someone else who could do a song-and-dance number. After all, this was a big year for musicals in terms of how many high-profile ones are likely to be nominated somewhere on the ballot ("West Side Story," "Cyrano," "tick, tick... BOOM!"; not to mention others that might not make the list like "In the Heights" or "Annette").
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

At some point, Dwayne Johnson is going to host and I don't think that would be a terrible move. He's charismatic, funny, and the biggest star in the world. Why not?

I also think Robert Downey, Jr. wouldn't do a bad job.

Of those listed... gosh, I'm tempted to vote none of the above.

* Tiffany Haddish
Honestly, she's a wild card. She's very funny but I'm not sure her talents lend to hosting. Maybe if she had co-host.

* Kevin Hart
I just don't know how he comes back from the controversy beforehand.

* Taraj P. Henson
Why? Has she hosted before? I just looked online and she apparently did host last year's BET Awards. Did she do well?

* Tom Holland / Tom Holland and Zendaya
I could see Holland and Zendaya doing a good job. It's hard to imagine anything else bringing the young crowd to the ceremony. Y'know... coach 'em, make sure their material works, and give them some good bits. Otherwise it's going to be a dreadful show.

*NOTE: Tom Holland has apparently expressed interest in hosting by saying "What fucking idiot wouldn't want to host the Oscars?"

* Tom Holland, Andrew Garfield, Tobey Maguire
This is a very funny idea... for three minutes. Afterwards it's going to be a chaotic mess.

* Ice Cube
Why?

* Jimmy Kimmel
This choice actually leads to one of the problems overall with hosting duties. Most of the people who are going to do the best job as host are going to skew a bit older. Jimmy Kimmel was IMO a good a host. A few rough spots but overall not bad. Who does he appeal to though?

* Mellisa McCarthy
She really seems more like a guest presenter.

* Lin-Manuel Miranda
One of the better options. It's largely ratings suicide and completes the Oscar's transformation into the Movie-Tony's, but after the year of musicals we had why not? He's a strong song and dance man, he's... okay with jokes, he had a strong year. He's as good an option as any.

* Queen Latifah
Why?

* Ryan Reynolds
He's very funny but I'm worried that he can't quite carry a show. Even worse, the type of patter that a host is required to do doesn't really fit his style of humor. I try to think about him crossing a stage and making a quip... it doesn't quite work.

I'm abstaining but honestly... give it to Tom Holland and have every member of the MCU pop up and present.
Last edited by Sabin on Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How's the despair?"
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Ice Cube?
Really?
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

My first thought was Whoopi Goldberg, but I'd be okay with Jimmy Kimmel, Conan O'Brien, Kevin Hart, and a few others.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I'd like to see Conan O'Brien take a crack at it. He's very funny and is a film buff so he'd be good. Ditto Patton Oswalt.

Steve Martin and Martin Short co-hosting would also be fun.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

I think Dwayne Johnson will do it but for the sake of ratings anything related to Spider man will help the Academy.
CalWilliam
Temp

Post by CalWilliam »

Among this group clearly Melissa McCarthy, but I chose someone else, that meaning I’d love to see Whoopi Goldberg again, but that’s probably not going to happen.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Who Do You Want to See Host the 94th Oscars?

Post by Big Magilla »

Not that this will have any influence on the producers, but who would you like to see host the 94th Oscars?

Here are a dozen selections I've seen bandied about, plus an option for someone else and another for anyone else.

Someone else means you have someone else specific in mind. If selecting this choice, please write a comment indicating who that someone else is.

Anyone else means you don't like any of the suggestions but have no idea who you would like to see. No host is not an option as the Academy has already determined that there will be one (or more!)

Return to “94th Academy Awards”